|The First Baptist Church of Mexico
was organized as the Baptist Church of Mexicoville, Jan.24, 1832, by the
Rev. Jonathan Goodwin, who came to this town from Connecticut in 1829.
Preaching in this vicinity for three years, his labors crystalized in the
organization of this church. His ripe age, experience, wisdom and spiritual
endowment fitted him for effective service. Born at Lebanon, CT, in the
year of our nation's birth, 1776, called of God, pastor of the Baptist
Church at Mansfield, CT for twenty successive years, he was the man for
the work. Serving the infant church as pastor three years, he returned
to labor in his native state. Re-visiting Mexico in '56, he was taken ill
and at died fourscore. He was buried in the Primitive Cemetery. He was
the noble grandfather of our honored townsman, George H. Goodwin.
The church records were burned in
1864, but the known constituent members were Rev. Jonathan Goodwin, his
son Calvin Goodwin, Deacon Reuben Smith and wife, Calvin Tiffany, and Mrs.
Robinson. The first annual meeting of the Oswego Baptist Association was
held with this church, which reported 56 members, with Rev. J. Goodwin,
R. Smith, M. Clark and C. Tiffany, delegates.
In 1835, the Baptist Church in Northwest
Mexico, united with this and adopted the present name. There were 115 members,
with Rev. S. Davison, pastor. In 1836, Rev. Wm. Frary was pastor here and
at New Haven. In 1837 Rev. Nelson Camp was called. In 1838 the first baptisim
occurred. The number was 93. In 1839 Rev. S. Pomeroy as pastor; 4 baptized;
the church numbered 89, and the first exclusion occurred. The association
again met here. From 1839 to '45 data are lacking.
In 1845 Rev. David McFarland became
pastor and found 112 members. He labored four years, baptized 18 and left
110. Rev. Nelson Ferguson followed two years, baptized 2 and left 83. Rev.
T. Theall served nearly a year. From 1853 to '55 they had supplies, trials,
discouragements. Rev. Chancellor Hartshorn preached one year and left 76.
Destitute one year. In 1857 Rev. Judson Davis came supplying also Colosse.
He gave up Colosse the second year. Things brightened. During his pastorate
of four years and nine months, 32 were baptized. In 1861 they numbered
114. In 1862 Rev. S.S. Utter of blessed memory came. A year of godly toil,
and five were baptized. He left 100. Rev. George R. Pierce followed, was
ordained, and preached earnestly for a year and a half.
In July 1865, Rev. Lawson Muzzy,
wise and beloved, became pastor, leading the church in godly paths for
nine years - the longest pastorate in the church's history. His memory
is fragrant. The church edifice was rebuilt of brick in 1872, and re-dedicated
Jan.12 1873, Rev. L Butterfield preaching the sermon. Rev. E. B. Hutchins
was called, ordained and labored for two years. Rev. J. H. McGahen had
a four years' pastorate of blessing and 53 were added to the church. Rev.
C. M. Booth followed until March 1884, with 18 additions. Rev. G. W. Barnes
came in March, 1885, and left in February, 1889. Additions, 29. Rev. G.
H. Button followed for one year. Then the church was pastorless until May,
1891, when Rev. S. M. Wheeler was pastor until February, 1892. Elder Button
labored four weeks evangelistically and 18 were baptized. The veteran Rev.
E. F. Maine, supplied them two years and three months and the savor of
his name lingers sweet on the field. Rev. J.M. Berry was the next pastor
for two years. Rev. H. Wayne Wolcott came in December, 1896, laboring until
June, 1900. A fine chapel was built, roll call held, and a parsonage secured.
Rev. George A. Fairbank became pastor July 1, 1900, was ordained Oct.30,
and labored efficiently with divine blessing. With his busy wife he lives
in the hearts of the people.
The present pastor, Rev. S. S. Bidwell,
came Jan. 1, 1903. The outlook is good skyward, and somewhat cheering to
human vision. The present membership is 102. Deacons S[amuel] C [lark]
Green[e], E. L. Jones, and H. F. Kenyon; trustees, S[amuel] C [lark] Green[e],
Daniel Wyant, Herbert Adams, Fred Hamilton, E. W. Jones and Charles Loomis.
Taken from "Grips" Historical
Souvenir of Mexico, N.Y. [19031 p.36].