HISTORICAL TIMELINE FOR THE TOWN OF MEXICO 



/                                                 \

This was generously donated by the Mexico Town Historian, Bonnie Shumway.  For contact information and details on the resources available on Mexico, please check our 
Town Historian & Historical Societies Page & the Local Resource Page.

Mexico Time Line
 

1809- Primitive Cemetery (first public cemetery); village cemetery first used in 1838

1813- first post office opened at Eagle Tavern, first office 1815

1850-  the underground Railroad aided in the escape of Jerry McHenry, one of many who passed   through Mexico

1851- plank walks laid on Main Street

1852- volunteer fire company started

1860- Church street had first cement walks

       - first county building built for the poor and sick

1880- telephones installed in village

1889- soldiers monument placed in village cemetery

1891- first electric street lights installed in village

1912- Main Street hard-surfaced

1913- village installed water system

1928- electric fire alarm called firemen for the first time

1930- State Road 104 constructed

1947- last passenger train ran through Mexico

1949- dial telephone comes to Mexico

1954- natural gas available to homes

1959- Mexico High School band placed second in state marching competition

1969- Oswego County B.O.C.E.S. opens here

1972- first unit of Kimberly Apartments built (first apartment complex)

      - sewer system for village turned on

1980-  Historical Museum opened

1981- complete set of the mural LeGuerre d'Independence installed in the High School

1983- new post office on corner of Main Street and Norman Avenue dedicated

1996- historic Webb Block in the business district destroyed by fire


 Back to Town of Mexico

Return to the Oswego County homepage

Copyright © 1999 Town of Mexico Historian - Bonnie Shumway / Mary Lou Guindon
All Rights Reserved