Mexico, Oswego Co., NY
Many thanks and appreciation to Esther
Rancier for contributing this information on the Presbyterian Church.
Esther is researching in Richland and Mexico the Soul/Soule, Brace
and Daniel P. Smith families, and would appreciate hearing from
anyone researching these surnames.
*As always, for further information on any of the names, please contact the local Historical Societies and/or Town Historians.
The Wesleyan Methodist Church Society of Prattham was first organized in 1818. The church building was erected in 1863, the dedication taking place on Dec.11 of that year. Those who preached to this society were Rev. David R. Dixon, 1818-'33; William B. Stowe, 1833-'36; John L. Marvin, 1840-'43; Ezra Scoville, 1843-'53; Ralph Robinson, 1853-'57. Then came a gap of a few years which resulted in the new society and a good church building, in which Rev. A. P. Burgess was the first pastor, preaching in 1863. Then followed L. N. Stratton, 1865-'70; A. F. Dempsey, 1871; Rev. G. L. Payne, 1872'75; Rev. E. Barnets, 1876.
SOURCE: "Grips" Historical Souvenir of Mexico  p.37.
Back to Church Page
2001 Esther Rancier