Residence Of Edward W. Robinson, Town of New Haven, N.Y.
Residence of Edward W. Robinson, Town of  New Haven, Oswego Co., N.Y.
(Engraving from The History of Oswego Co., N. Y. 1877)

1860 Gazetteer
History of Oswego County, NY, 1878 - many names
Post-Offices and Postmasters
Secret Societies
1895 Landmark's History Book, Town of New Haven, Oswego County, NY

History of New Haven 
Estate of Reverend Ashel HARRINGTON

1820 Federal Census Town of New Haven
Land Owners in 1814, Oneida Co. Census

Biography of Henry Knowles Greene, New Haven, NY
John Gratton's Descendants Tree - includes obituaries
John Gratton's Personal Ledger Books for 1825 and 1826
John Gratton's Personal Ledger Books for 1827
John Gratton's Personal Ledger Books for 1828
Biography of Jeremiah Legg, New Haven & Scriba, NY with Obit of Mrs. Charles Cheever
Biography of Ezra May, New Haven, NY
Family of Benjamin Smith Parmeter - In Civil War Uniform Photo, plus wife Martha, & I. O. O. F. Invitation

New Haven Women: 
Elizabeth DeAngelis Wells Shepard
Anna Spencer
Rhoda Green Searles

Mrs. Charles S Cheever, New Haven 

Records of the Congregational Church of New Haven, Church Membership in 1834 

Civil War Soldiers
Civil War Soldiers Monument - with names 

Town Historian
  Marie Strong
  PO Box 52
  New Haven, NY 13121
  Phone: 315-963-8756

Information was obtained from the Historical & Statistical Gazetteer of New York State, R. P. Smith, Publisher, Syr., 1860, by J. H. French.

NEW HAVEN----was formed from Mexico, April 2, 1813.  A part was annexed to Mexico May 9, 1836.  It lies upon the shore of Lake Ontario, W, of the center of the co.  The surface is rolling and generally smooth.  It is watered by Spring Brook, Catfish and Butterfly Creeks, 3 small streams flowing into Lake Ontario.  There is quite an extensive marsh near the mouth of Butterfly Creek, in the N.E. part of the town, and another in the S.W. part.  The underlying rock is gray sandstone, and the soil is principally a sandy and gravelly loam.  Stock raising receives more attention in this than in the other towns of the co., and a limited amount of manufacturing is done.3 New Haven, (p.v.,) situated near the center of the town, on Catfish Creek, contains 2 churches, 2 inns, a store, a sawmill, a gristmill, and about 50 houses.  Butterfly is a p.o. near the E. line of the town.  The first settlement was made by ______ROOD and _______DOOLITTLE, at New Haven, in 1798.4   The first church (Cong.) was organized at New Haven Village, in 1817; and Rev. William WILLIAMS was the first minister.  There are now 2 churches in town; Cong. and M.E.

3.  There are 9 sawmills, 2 gristmills, and other manufacturing establishments in town.

4.  Mr. WRIGHT settled in the town in 1798;  Solomon SMITH in 1800;  C. DRAKE and Capt. GARDNER IN 1804;  David ENOS, Joseph BAILEY, and James JERRET in 1805; and Warner DRAKE IN 1808.

The first birth was that of John D. SMITH, in Feb 1805.

The first sawmill was erected by Ira FOOT , in 1805.

The first gristmill by Waldo BRAYTON, in 1809.

Harriet EASON taught the first school, in the summer of 1806.

Information was obtained, in part, from the “History of Oswego County, NY,” 1789 – 1877, published by Everett & Ferriss, 1878.  Many thanks to Dianne Thomas for  transcribing this.


This town was formed from Mexico as part of Oneida county, April 2, 1813, being the ninth in age of the towns of Oswego County.  The town as first formed corresponded exactly to the old survey-township of Vera Cruz, the nineteenth township of Scriba’s patent.  This, in addition to the present town of New Haven, had a tract half a mile wide running along the lake-shore through to Richland.  The reason for this curious arrangement on the part of Mr. Scriba is not positively known, but was doubtless due to a desire to dispose of Mexico, while retaining the harbor at the mouth of Salmon creek, where he meant to build the city of Vera Cruz.  In May, 1836, the strip in question, comprising five lots, was annexed to Mexico, since which time New Haven has remained at its present size.

The town borders on the lake, and in area is the smallest in the county, being five miles east and west, by five and three-fourths north and south.  The surface is rolling, but generally smooth and well improved, there being only about twenty-five acres of non-resident land.

The town is divided into one hundred and thirty-eight lots (including the five taken off), which are numbered from west eastward, beginning on the lake-shore at the northwest corner, and ending at the southeast corner, just east of the village of Vermillion.  Three small streams run northward into the lake, viz., Catfish creek, through the centre of the town; Butterfly, through the east part; and Spring brook, through the west part.  There is quite an extensive marsh near the mouth of the Butterfly, and another in the southwest part of town.  The Rome and Oswego railroad runs through the north part, about midway between New Haven Village and Lake Ontario.  It was put in operation about 1866, and is a great aid to the inhabitants.

The village formerly called Gay Head is the principal place of business, and pleasantly situated near the centre of the town.

Cheever’s Mills, in the north part, is a place of some importance, and is widely known.  Girdley’s Mills (now Daggett’s), three-fourths of a mile northwest of the village, has a saw-mill and cider-mill.  At an early day a wool-carding and cloth-dressing mill was run there, but several years since it disappeared.

Half a mile west of the village, on Catfish creek, is the locality called the “Hollow”, where there is a grist-mill.  The neighborhood formerly boasted of a saw-mill and tannery, but both have gone to decay.  There has been a grist-mill in operation at this point since a very early period.

Cummings’ Mills, in the south part of the town, also on the Catfish, is a well-known locality.  At this place is a saw-mill and cider-mill.  There is a grist-mill and saw-mill at Cheever’s , and a saw-mill on Spring brook, in the north-west part of the town.


The first permanent settler of the town was Solomon Smith, who located on lot 47, and built the first log house in town, near where David Russell now resides.  He also put up, in 1812, the first frame building, which is Mr. Russell’s house, or part of it.  Soon after the house was inclosed a dance was held in it, called a “house-warming”, when a grand time was had, Colonel Sherman Hosmer, now ninety years old, living in Mexico, being one of the party.  Mr. Smith died in the town of which he was the first resident, November 28, 1824, aged seventy-five.  He had several sons, one of whom, John R. was killed at the raising of Orris Hart’s ashery, just east of the village, in October, 1823.

This ashery was a framed one; another had been built of logs some time before.  Another son of Mr. Smith was Jesse, who lived a long time in town, and died but a few years since, over eighty years of age.

The next settlers after Mr. Smith were Gardner Wyman and Eleazer Snow, who came from Eaton, Madison county, in 1804.  Mr. Wyman was captain of the militia in the war of 1812, being the first man in town who commanded a military company.  Meres Wyman, now living in town, at the age of eighty-seven, was a son of the captain.  Young Wyman, about 1810, thought he would like to attend a dance at Mexico Point (then Vera Cruz), and looked around for a horse to take his girl.  He finally heard of an unengaged one at what is now Colosse, about nine miles distant.  Thither he went on foot, obtained the horse, mounted him, and rode back to Joseph Boynton’s, in New Haven.  He took one of that gentleman’s girls on the horse behind him, as was the custom then, and proceeded to the party at Vera Cruz.  The dance having been duly participated in, the young man took the girl in the same manner back to her father’s then rode the horse to it’s owner’s, at Colosse, and then walked home.  By the time he had made his round trip he had traveled over fifty miles.

Mr. Wyman, Sr., built the second log house in town, on lot 57, at the east-end of the present Barker farm.  Mr. Snow located on the north side of the Catfish, on the road from the depot to Solomon White’s.  Mr. S. had at least three sons, by the names of Charles, Lebbeus and Daniel.  The last named was but two years old when they came to town, which was by the way, of Oswego to the mouth of the Catfish creek.  Meres Wyman, then a boy of fourteen, met them at the landing and carried the child in his arms to the shanty prepared for the family.

That baby boy is now living in town, at the age of seventy-five, and he and his faithful young bearer are the two oldest residents.

Soon after the close of the war of 1812, Charles Snow and his brother Lebbeus both commanded vessels running on the lake between Oswego and Lewiston.  During one of the down trips a terrible storm came up, the vessel which Charles Snow commanded was wrecked, and none of those on board (about thirty in number) were ever heard of.  The vessel came ashore near Sodus, was repaired, and afterwards did good service.  The other one, commanded by Lebbeus Snow, was driven into the mouth of Genesee river and saved.

Chauncey DRAKE settled near Cheever’s Mills in 1804, and worked in the first mill which was built there.  In 1805, Joseph BAILEY, James JERRETT, Ira HOAT, David EASTON, and Andrew PLACE came into town.  Mr. Bailey was from Vernon, Oneida county, and located on the present farm of Andrew COE.  He held many offices of trust, and was the first postmaster.  He was an early justice of the peace, and in 1814 had the privilege of performing the marriage ceremony for Colonel Ephraim Van Valkenburgh, the first white child born in the present town of Volney.

Mr. Jerrett was from Paris, Oneida county, and located opposite to Mr. Bailey.  The two were in middle life at the time, as they were soldiers in the British army, and deserted from Burgoyne about the time of the battle of Saratoga.  Mrs. Polly Coe, now living in town, at the age of ninety-two, was the daughter of Mr. Jerrett.

Mr. Hoat was from Kirkland, Oneida county, and settled at Cheever’s Mills.  He built the first saw-mill in town there in 1805, and as men were very scarce at that time, they had to have a great deal of whiskey.  To get it two men were obliged to go to Rome, their means of conveyance being nothing else than the crotched limb of a tree with a yoke of cattle attached.  They obtained one barrel in this way, it is said, and drake it up before raising the mill, so they had to get another before anything could be done in the way of putting up the building.

David Easton located on the present Willis Johnson farm, in the east part of town.  He was one of the early great men, and held many offices of trust.  He was appointed a justice of the peace for the town of Mexico as early as 1807, and was elected supervisor of the same town in 1809.  He was an associate judge of the common pleas in 1816, and supervisor of New Haven at the time of his death, in 1823.

Andrew Place was also quite a prominent man in many respects.  He would go all lengths to befriend a person, using time and money to accomplish the object, and at another time exert himself as much to punish some one else.  He was often heard to remark that he could treat a person as well as any one, and, if need be, could abuse him as bad as any one.  He at first located on the Ira D. SMITH farm, and afterwards at May’s Corners, about two miles east of the village, where he kept a hotel at an early day.  He lived at the village in 1819, and at another time kept a hotel where his son, A.G. Place, now lives.  During the last years of his life he resided at the village, and dropped dead in his wagon November 15, 1852, at the age of sixty-five.

In 1806 we find as new-comers Roswell Harman, Daniel Hewett, and Joseph Boynton.  Mr. Harman was from Vernon, Oneida county, and located about three-fourths of a mile west of the present village.  His son George was born there in 1812, and has always lived in town.  Mr. Hewett was a grandfather of E.G. Hewett, and settled southeast of the village.  Mr. Boynton settled on the present T.S. Doud farm, and kept a hotel there soon after coming into town.  Boynton hill, in the western part of the town, was named after this early landlord.

In 1807-8, Ezra May, Jonathan Wing, Warner and Anson Drake, Waldo Brayton, and Daniel Hall became residents of the town.  Mr. May settled at the present village, and in 1810 opened the first hotel in town, just east of the brick house, which was also built by him for a hotel in 1824 and which still standing.  During the ware of 1812, Mr. May was at one time in Commodore Chauncey’s fleet, on Lake Ontario, as a pilot.  While on this service one day, he saw that a terrible storm was about to burst upon them, and went to request the captain of the vessel on which he was to lash the guns.  This offer happened to be drunk in his berth at the time, and roughly told Mr. May “to attend to his own business, and he would to his.”  Mr. M. let down a small boat, and two or three sailors jumped into it, but before he could get in it himself the squall struck them and sunk the vessel.  Mr. May jumped into the lake, went down several times, and had given up all hope of being rescued, but was finally picked up by the men in the boat.  They reached another vessel, but this was soon after captured by the British, and May with the rest was carried a prisoner to Kingston.

Here a guard was placed over them.  When night came on a bed was drawn up in front of the door of the room in which the prisoners were confined, and after getting “mellow” on whiskey, the guard lay down to sleep.  Mr. May and one or two others bribed the sentinel at the door, carefully pulled away the bed on which lay the drunken guard, and escaped.  May, finally, after a great deal of difficulty, reached Sackett’s Harbor in safely, and was paid fifty dollars by Commodore Chauncey, on account of his courage and shrewdness.

Mr. Wing, settled in the eastern part of the town, near Mr. Easton’s, and, like him, was one of the early magnates of New Haven.  He was appointed a justice of the peace as early as 1811, and in 1813 was elected the first town clerk of the new town.  Mr. Warner Drake located near where his son, Butler S., now resides.  Anson Drake settled at the village, and opened the first store there, in 1809.  Mr. Brayton settled at Cheever’s Mills, and put up the first grist-mill in town there, in 1809.

Mr. Hall located near where A.B.Tuller now resides.  He was one of the first officers of the town, and a prominent man of the early days.

In 1810, Nathaniel Marvin, William Taylor, Almon Lindsley, Herman Hitchcock, and Peleg Davis became residents of the town.  Mr. Marvin settled on the present T.H. Austin farm, and afterwards at the “Hollow”, where he located permanently, at the present residence of his son, Orton O.  He was one of the first officers of the town, and held many positions of trust.

In 1837 or ’38, Mr. Marvin’s little son, Rozelle, aged eight years, was drowned under the following circumstances: He and a son of Mr. George W. Allen were crossing the creek one afternoon, on a log above the pond, early in the spring, when the boy, Rozelle, fell off, and went under the ice.  A crowd of neighbors soon assembled, but the boy could not be found that day.  The next morning the search was renewed, but cutting away the ice at the dam and letting it float down the stream.  As there were at work in this way in the afternoon, the drowned boy suddenly shot up half his length between the cakes on which some men were standing, and was caught by one of the men before he sank again.

Mr. Taylor located on the hill just west of the “Hollow” were S.O. Wilmarth now resides.  He was a prominent man, and one of the first officers of the town.

Mr. Lindsley settled in the east part of the town, and was a near neighbor of Mr. Wing, joining him on the north.  He was one of the first set of town officers of New Haven.

Mr. Hitchcock settled about one and a half miles south of the village, near the Kibby farm, and Mr. Davis about two miles east, on the State road.

Reuben Halliday settled in the east part of the town about 1810.  He was the first Methodist class-leader in town, and for a great many years was a minister of the gospel.

Henry Hawley came to town in 1811, and settled about one and a quarter miles south of the village.  He was killed at the raising of Robert Jerrett’s barn, in 1815, by the falling of a plate.

Among others who came into town prior to 1813 were Seth Severance, Mitchel Crandall, Ezra Bromley, Ansel Snow, William Griffin, Eliphalet Colt, Elias May, John Wolcott, Daniel and Lyman Hatch, Philip Delano, Samuel Cherry, Lyman Blakesley, and Israel Ransom.  The last three, with Mr. Wing, were the first justices appointed for the town of New Haven after its formation.

Mr. Severance came from Leyden, Mass., and settled just east of Butterfly, where he resided until his death.  He was another leading man of the town, and held the office of supervisor longer than any other man, as will appear by the list of officers.

Mr. Crandall settled at first just north of Butterfly, but several years ago located just east of the village, where he now resides.  Mr. Snow made his home at the village, as did also Mr. Cherry.  Mr. Blakesley settled one and a quarter miles southwest of the village, and Mr. Ransom at Cheever’s Mills.  Thus far, New Haven should be understood as belonging to the old town of Mexico, but as we are now brought down to the formation of the new town, it will be proper to speak of the first town-meeting.

This was held at the house of Ansel Snow (near where the store of Rowe & Snow now stands), April 19, 1814.  There were sixty-six votes cast, and the following persons were elected: Supervisor, David Easton; Clerk, Jonathan Wing; Assessors, David Easton, William Taylor, and Nathaniel Marvin; Overseers of the Poor, Joseph Bailey and Daniel Hall; Commissioners of Highways, Joseph Bailey, Jr., Joseph Boynton, and Anson Drake; School Commissioners, Jonathan Wing, Joseph Bailey and Nathaniel Marvin; Collector, George C. Bailey; Constables, George C. Bailey and Crandall Kenyon; Fence-viewers, Nathaniel Marvin and Daniel Hall; Pound-masters, Almon Lindsley and Eleazer Snow; Inspectors of Schools, David Easton, Eliphalet Colt and Anson Drake; Path-masters, Elias May Chauncey Drake, Jesse Smith, Robert Jerrett, William Taylor, Henry Hawley, Eliphalet Colt, Lyman Hatch, Daniel Hatch, Philip Delano, Crandall Kenyon and John Wolcott.

New Haven has had only thirteen supervisors in the sixty-four years since its formation.  Their names and years of service are as follows: David Easton, 1814-16,1821-23; Orris Hart, 1817-20,1831; Seth Severance 1824-1829, 1832-1838, 1841-46, 1851; William Bullen, 1830; Norman Rowe, 1839-40, 1847-58; Hosea Cornish, 1843-45; Lorenzo W. Tanner, 1848, 1850, 1857, 1859; Charles Nichols, 1849; Abram W. Hewett, 1852; John C. Gillespie, 1853-54; Avery W. Severance, 1855-56, 1860-71; Henry J. Daggett, 1872-76; Schuyler M. Barker, 1877.

There have been seventeen town clerks, viz.: Jonathan Wing, 1814-16; William Taylor, 1817-18; Hezekiah Nichols, 1819-1824; Isaac Whipple, 1825-29; Levi Rowe, 1830-31; Chester R. Wells, 1832, 1838, 1849, 1853; Stephen Luce, 1833; John J. Ayer, 1834-35; Samuel J. Merriam, 1836-37; George S. Thrall, 1838-42, 1845-47; Edmund E. Wells, 1843-44; Robert S. Kelsey, 1850-51, 1857-58; Solomon White Jr., 1852; William H. Merriam, 1854-56; Ralph A. Eason, 1859; Norman Rowe, 1860-61, 1866-77; Charles M. Adams, 1862-65.

The justices of the peace who have lived in the present town of New Haven before and after its formation, with the years in which they were appointed or elected, are as follows.  Before 1813 they were, of course, appointed for Mexico: David Easton, 1807, 1809, 1811, 1814, 1820, and 1823; Bailey, 1810, 1814, and 1816; Jonathan Wing 1811, 1814, 1816, 1823 and 1827.

After the formation of the town the first four justices appointed were Jonathan Wing, Samuel Cherry, Lyman Blakesley and Israel Ransom.

Then came Orris Hart, 1817, -31; John Parsons, 1819; Hezekiah Nichols, 1819-21; Seth Severance, 1820-28; William Taylor, 1820; Stephen H. Kinne 1821-23; Palmer Hewett, 1821; Theodore Gridley, 1823, ’27, ’28, ’32, ’36; Norman Rowe, 1827, ’29, ’33, ’38, ’44, ’48, ’53, ’57, ’61, ’65, ’69, ’73, ’77, making forty years’ service December 31, 1877.  William Bullen, 1827, ’30; Geo. W. Allen, 1831, ’34, ’56; Stanton P. Weeden, 1835, ’47; S.G. Merriam, 1837; Chester R. Wells, 1839, ’50; Alexander H. Barton, 1840, ’57; Avery W. Severance, 1841; James H. Wright, 1841, ’49; John C. Gillespie, 1842; Geo. W. McConnell, 1843; A.M. Andrews, 1845; Nicholas Chesebro, 1846; Charles A. Tanner, 1847; James Talmadge, 1848, ’49, ’54; Henry Daggett, 1851; Naaman Goodsell, 1852; Lorenzo W. Tanner, 1855, ’63; Warren J. Johnson, 1858; Abram W. Hewett, 1859; Albert J. Doud, 1860, ’64; Ashbel B. Hall, 1862; Jonathan E. Robinson, 1864, ’67; Schuyler M. Barker, 1865, ’68, ’72; Jesse Halliday, 1866; Joseph Barton, 1867; Orla Severance, 1868; Geo. L. Lyon, 1870, ’74; Chauncy L. Gridley, 1871, ’75; David L. Nichols, 1876.  Of the above, Merriam, Wells, Halliday, and Joseph Barton did not qualify.

After the war of 1812 the population of New Haven increased faster than before, -- the new-comers being mostly from Oneida county.  About 1815 the prominent men who came into town were Hezekiah Nichols, Orris Hart, Stephen H. Kinne, Luman Cummings, Calvin Eason, Peter Kelsey, John Parsons and Harvey Tuller.  Mr. Hart was one of the leaders in business and politics.  He was appointed associate judge of the common please in 1817, and again in 1819; was appointed a surrogate in 1819, and again in 1845; appointed sheriff in 1821, and elected to the same office in 1822.

Dr. S.H. Kinne was the second physician of the town, and a very prominent man.  Mr. Cummings settled just northeast of the village at first, but in 1818 located at Cummings’ Mill, in the south part of the town, where he died in 1876 at the age of eighty years.  Eason, Kelsey, and Parsons settled near Butterfly.  Norman Rowe came in from Paris, Oneida county, and settled just northwest of the village in February, 1817.  About 1836 he moved to the village, where he has resided ever since.  If he should live until January 1, 1878, he will have served forty years as a justice of the peace.  He has also served two terms as sheriff of the county, besides holding many other civil and military offices.

Samuel G. Merriam should be mentioned as one of the leading men.  He came to the village in 1832, and the next year was appointed a commissioner of deeds.  He held the responsible position of postmaster for thirty-two years, and was for forty years a prominent merchant at the village, where he now resides.


The making of potash was entered into quite extensively at an early date, and that was about the only article that brought ready cash.  It was shipped to Montreal, and its transportation formed quite an important branch of business.

The first ashery was a long one, built by Orris Hart, Just east of the villiage, in 1816, and was succeeded by a frame one in 1823.  The second one was built at the “Hollow,” about 1818, by Mr. Hutchins.  Still another, for making pearl-ash, was run by Mr. Bromley about the same time, some two and a half miles southwest of the village.  The making of whiskey was another branch of business; but that was more particularly for home consumption.  At a later date the raising of fruit, especially apples, was quite extensively carried on.   Later still, the raising of cattle and making of butter and cheese took the lead.  Recently, the cultivation of berries is the most important branch of business.  New Haven is an enterprising town, and the people are always going into something that will pay.


The first saw-mill was built at Cheever’s, in 1805, by Ira Hoat.  The second, at the “Hollow”, about 1811, by Timothy Norton.  The third, at Gridley’s about half a mile below, on the same stream, in 1816.  The fourth, at Cummings’, in the south part of the town, about 1816.  Mr. Cummings has built no less than three mills on the same site since 1818.  In 1850 there were seven saw-mills in town, but there are now only four.  The first grist-mill was built at Cheever’s, in 1809, by Waldo Brayton, and the second at the “Hollow”, about 1815, by Hezikiah Nichols and Nathaniel Marvin.  The first stave-machine (or mill) was built at the “Hollow”, in 1845, by Daniel B. Van Buren and John D. Reed.


The first was built at Cheever’s, about 1810, by John White; the second, just east of the village, in 1818, by Orris Hart; and the third soon after (1820), at the Hollow, by Barton and Doolittle.  It is hard to say, but nevertheless true, that there have been three distilleries in New Haven.  At present it is a strong temperance town, and grants no license to sell liquor.  The first distillery was a very small one, and was out of operation before the other two were built.


There has been but one in town, and that was previous to 1840.  This at first was run by Richard Eason, and afterwards by him and Hosea Cornish.  It was situated in the village, and was in existence between 1830 and 1840, but on rather a small scale.


The first was Eliphalet Colt, who was also the first officer of the town.  He remained until about 1830.  Stephen F. Kinne was the second physician; he remained in town until near 1839.  The next was Samuel Stewart, who came about 1827, and was followed by Dr. Lee, in 1828.  The last was a man of especially good medical education.  The next was John G. Ayer, in 1833, who was likewise well educated.  Dr. E.M. Joslin came into town in 1838, and and left in 1842.  Dr. A. W. Robinson came in 1842, and moved west about 1854. He was a brother of Rev. Ralph Robinson, and was a well-read physician.  Dr. S. P. Johnson succeeded Dr. Robinson, and was a well-read physician.  Dr. S. P. Johnson succeeded Dr. Robinson, and was followed in turn by Dr. Geo. G. Whitaker, now the only practitioner of the regular, or allopathic, school in town.   A.S. Rockwell was also one of the physicians of New Haven for a short time previous to 1875.

Of the eclectic physicians, the first was John Ash, some forty years ago.  The second was Amos Austin, from 1847 to 1862.  Then followed his brother James, who opened a drug-store about 1862, the first in town.  Dr. James Manwarren succeeded Austin, and was himself followed by Dr. Jewell.  Dr. Amos Austin has returned to town during the past year, and is now practicing there for the second time.


For this class of persons we shall have to write blank, as there never was one a resident of the town.  One attorney talked about settling there, but was informed that he could not live in town by practicing law, and therefore abandoned the project.


The town has twelve school districts, the one at the village being No.5, with a graded school.  The number of children between the ages of five and twenty-one in 1876 was six hundred and two.  Amount of public money, including the library, was thirteen hundred and seventy-six dollars and forty-six cents.  The first school was taught, in 1806, by Harriet Easton, daughter of David Easton.  Sherman Hosmer taught a school at Butterfly in 1808.  The present school-houses are mostly new; the one at the village being built of brick and the one at Cheever’s of stone.


Anson Drake was the first, in 1809, at the village.  He was succeeded in 1816 by Orris Hart, who was followed by Samuel Cherry.  Samuel G. Merriam began the mercantile business in 1833, in which he remained for forty years.  He retired from the business in 1873, and was succeeded by Rowe & Wilmarth, and then by the present firm of Rowe & Snow.  Stephen Luce opened a store at the Hollow in 1829, and was in business there ten years.  Hewett & Goodsell had a store in the stone hotel building for several years, about 1860.  A store has been kept at the depot for a number of years, and is now run by O. Woodworth.  John White kept a store at Cheever’s Mills as early as 1810.  The first drug-store was kept by Dr. James Austin, about 1862.  Silas Allen and Solomon White, Jr., were merchants at the village from 1850 to 1856, or thereabouts.  B.J. Hale & Son have an extensive coffin wareroom at the village in connection with their undertaking business.  It dates back to about 1844.


The first was opened at the village in 1810, by Ezra May.  Soon after, one was opened by Andrew Place, at May’s corners and another by Joseph Boynton, two miles west of the village.  Jesse Smith built one just back of the present stone hotel about 1826, and Samuel Allen opened one a little west of the Congregational church in 1828.  The stone hotel was built by Richard Eason about 1850 or 1851.  The brick one was erected in 1824 by Ezra May.  The town had three at a time for a while after 1828, but can now boast of only one, which is a temperance house, kept by A.M. May.


The first post-office in town was established at West Mexico, January 19, 1813, with Joseph Bailey as postmaster.  The office was kept at Mr. Bailey’s house, about two miles west of the village.  Its name was changed to New Haven, December 25, 1819, and Orris Hart appointed postmaster.  Samuel G. Merriam was appointed postmaster February 8, 1833; Solomon White, Jr., July 23, 1853; Silas Hart, January 30, 1858; S.G. Merriam, June 28, 1861, and Augustus F. Rowe, January 2, 1873.

“Butterfly” was established January 31, 1828, with John Parsons as postmaster.  Sterling Newell, was appointed September 14, 1844; John Parsons again November 22, 1848; John Parsons, Jr., June 13, 1849; and Avery W. Severance, February 23, 1858.  The office was discontinued January 13, 1870.

“South New Haven,” the third and last office, was established early in the spring of 1877, in the southwest part of the town, with George H. Patten as postmaster.

The first mail-stage was run through the town from Utica to Oswego, and thence west, in 1823.

                                    THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

Was organized July 30, 1817, the society having been formed just one month previously.  Revs. John Dunlap and David R. Dixon presided.  The former was a missionary, and the latter the pastor of the Mexico church.  Thirteen persons united with the church at its organization, whose names are as follows: Stephen H. Kinne., Daniel Hitchcock and Esther his wife, Ari Rowe and Wealthy his wife, Norman Rowe and Mary his wife, Atwood Aikens and Hannah his wife, Rebecca Hitchcock, Polly Harman, Seth S. Sweatland, Esther Delano.  Norman Rowe is the only survivor.  The first trustees of the society were Daniel Hitchcock, Seth Severance, Seth S. Sweatland, Norman Rowe, Roswell Harman, and William Taylor.

The Rev. William Williams was the first settled minister.  He was from Granville, Washington county, and began his labors in 1820.  Previous to his coming the church was favored with only occasional preaching.  Mr. Williams’ successors, with their terms of services, when known, were as follows: Rev. Ralph Robinson, two years, beginning in 1828; Rev. Oliver W. Ayer, two years; Rev. Ichabod A. Hart, one year; Rev. Isaac Headly, one year; Rev. Samuel Swezey, three years; Seth Smalley, one year; Rev. Hugh Carlisle, Rev. Mr. Whiting, Rev. Mr. Hoyt, Rev. Erastus Kellogg, Rev. Amos Seeley, in 1845; Rev. Ralph Robinson, who came a second time, in the fall of 1846; Rev. W. W. Warner, who came in April, 1854; Rev. Hiram Dyer, who began in June, 1855; Rev. John Reid, who came January 1, 1861, and served seven years; Rev. Thomas Bayne, three years; Rev. John T. Marsh, one year; Rev. Lewis Jessup, who began preaching in September 1872.  Mr. Jessup was followed by Rev. Olney Place, October 11, 1874, who is the present pastor.

Rev. Mr. Robinson preached for fifty years, and died in New Haven in May, 1863, at the age of eighty-three.

The appointments of deacons of the church have been as follows: Ari Rowe and Daniel Hitchcock at the organization, in 1817; Samuel Allen, 1822; William Marvin, Joseph Barton, Charles Nichols, and Job Doud, in 1834; Norman Rowe, December 10, 1852; and Edward W. Robinson, March 8, 1873.  According to the last report there are one hundred and nine members of the church.  The present church edifice was built in 1824, and has been kept in good repair up to the present time.


A Baptist society was formed in town soon after the Congregational, and a brick edifice was built in the year 1825.  The society had only occasional preaching, and after a while the meetings were discontinued on account of the small number of church-going people of that denomination.

The old brick church was finally sold, and taken down some years since.  A leading member of that church and one who stood by it to the last was Captain Cyrus Severance, but he was called away by death several years ago.


The first meetings of this church were held near Peleg Davis’, in the east part of the town, on the State road, as early as 1815; some of the members being residents of Mexico.  In 1833 or 1834 a class was formed at New Haven village, with Reuben Halliday as leader.  This only continued for a short time, and then disbanded.  After this, in 1839, a permanent class was formed, of which Henry K. Marvin was the first leader, who held the position a long time.  The first members of this class were David Field and wife, Nicholas Chesebro and wife, Nelson Davis and wife, and Ezekiel Lewis and wife.  The first trustees were David Field, Nelson Davis, Nicholas Chesebro, Ezekiel Lewis, and Alvin Buell.  The first ministers were Charles Northrop and Joseph Crags, then followed Anson Tuller, B. Holmes, David Stone, Freeman Hancock, H. Kinsley, A.M. Rowe, and Almon Chapin.  In 1851-52, William Peck and Reuben Reynolds were the preachers.  In 1859, J. Smedley and J. Slee were on the circuit.  They were succeeded in turn by Hiram Nichols, W.I. Richards, J.H. Burk, H.S. Holmes, J.S. George, W.H. Brown, C. Manson, and E.H. Waugh.

The first church edifice was built in 1848, and the second and last one in 1876.  The latter is a very fine building for so small a village, being a frame, laid up on the outside with brick.  The whole cost was about seven thousand dollars.  To the industry, energy and economical management of the pastor, Rev. Charles Manson, who was on the charge when the church was built, the society is very much indebted for their handsome edifice.  The church has an excellent bell weighing about one thousand pounds, the gift of two of the members of the society.

It should have been stated that previous to 1853 the circuit was very large and was supplied by two preachers, who preached alternately, once in four weeks each; services on the intervening Sundays being sometimes conducted by Morris Place.


There have been several in town, but most of them of short duration.  About 1850 the Odd-Fellows had a lodge, but it was soon disbanded.  After this the Sons of Temperance flourished from 1850 to 1855.  The next was the Good Templars, a short time previous to 1874.  The Patrons of Husbandry then organized the New Haven grange, No. 52, January 16, 1874, with the following officers: Worthy Master, Charles S. Cheever; Overseer, Edward  W. Robinson; Lecturer, Henry J. Daggett; Steward, Willard W. Squires; Chaplain, E.G. Hewett; Assistant Stewards, Solomon White and Mrs. H.A. Stacey; Ceres, Mrs. D.B. Van Buren; Pomona, Mrs. W.W. Squires; Flora, Mrs. E.G. Hewett; Secretary, John Van Buren; treasurer, H.A. Stacey.  The present officers (1877) are as follows: Worthy Master, D.B. Van Buren; Overseer, W.W. Squires; Lecturer, S. White; Steward, J.S. Oxner; Assistant Stewards, J.M. Barker and Mrs. J.S. Oxner; Chaplin, C.S. Cheever; Treasurer, B.S. Drake; Secretary, John Van Buren; Gate-keeper, Daniel Lawton; Ceres, Mrs. D. B. Van Buren; Pomona, Mrs. W.W. Squires; Flora, Mrs. C.S. Cheever.  The present membership numbers fifty.  Meetings are held on the first and third Fridays of each month.

A second Odd-Fellows’ lodge, called Beacon Light, No. 464, was organized in July, 1877, with the following officers: Dr. George G. Whitaker, N.G.; H. J. Daggett, V.G.; George S. Hales, R.S.N.G.; A.F. Aird, L.S.N.G.; William B. Searles, R.S.V.G.; H. A. Stacy, L.S.V.G; John Van Buren, R.S.; Malcolm Stevens, P.S.; J.S. Oxner, Treasurer; Wallace Halliday, Chaplain; J. M. Barker, C.; Marshall Parker, W.; Charles Woodward, R.S.S.; Frank Stevens, L.S.S.; Henry Stacy, L.G.; and A.M. May, O.G.


There are two in town, --- one at the village and the other at Butterfly.  The former is probably the finest in the county, considering the smallness of the village in which it is situated.  It contains at least twenty monuments, from ten to twenty-two feet in height, costing from seventeen hundred dollars down, besides many marble slabs of handsome design and beautiful finish.  The memorial of the most public interest, however, is the soldiers’ monument, dedicated to the memory of those who fell in the war for the Union.  It stands nearly in the centre of the cemetery, and was erected May 30, 1870.  It is of Italian marble, about eighteen feet in height, and has engraved on its four sides the names of forty-four soldiers who were killed or died from wounds received in the late war.  The principal inscription reads, --- “Erected to the memory of New Haven’s gallant sons who died for their country.” The names and ages upon the monument are as follows:  North side – William Wiles, 26; William Barnes, 34; Joseph S. King, 23; Henry O. Wing, 20; Seth Hubbard, 38; Dennis Doyle, 24; Leonard Wiles, 19; *Lemuel Gullion, 31; Jabez E. Spaulding, 19; *J. W. Gullion, 36; Granville S. Woodall, 17.  South side – William H. May, 17; John Green, 21; Benson Davis, 21; Joseph S. Munger, 21; James Redding, 20; William H. Crawford, 30; William S. Harrington, 23; Manville G. Looker, 19; Hamilton N. Wilcox, 27; Paul W. Walsworth, 23; Francis L. Harrington, 32.  East side – A.J. Bassett, 22; William W. Wood, 25; John Wibur, 41; John E. Bowen, 21; Eli Cornwall, 19; Oscar H. Fields, 32; Chauncey G. Snell, 20; Horace D. Cheever, 26; Franklin W. Coan, 20; Lorenzo D. Goodrich, 38; Lorenzo S. Doolittle, 38.  West side – William H. Taylor, 18; William E. Taylor, 17; Oscar Drake, 31; Henry Fuller, 22; Amos N. Kibbe, 26; John B. Dawson, 29; Noble S. Green, 22; George B. Smith, 18; Chester A. Drake, 21; Rozelle J. Whitney, 22; Chandler A. Rathbun, 22.

*10/3Sent in by Jill McDonough  " I found a mistake on the Civil War Monument in the New Haven Cemetary.  On the North side is listed Lemuel Gullion and J. W. Gullion. The last name should be Gulliver.  James William is my great-great-grandfather and Lemuel is his brother."
(Note:  I checked the book, "History of Oswego County, 1877", and the last name for them is listed as Gullion.  When doing further research, please be aware of the discrepancy, as it may have been repeated in other resources - Laura).

Return to the Oswego County homepage

Copyright © 1999-2006LauraPerkins / Dianne Thomas 
All Rights Reserved