Information was obtained from the Historical & Statistical Gazetteer of New York State, R. P. Smith, Publisher, Syr., 1860, by J. H. French.
SANDY CREEK---was formed from Richland, March 24,1825. It lies on the shore of Lake Ontario, upon the N. border of the Co. Its surface is rolling and has a westerly inclination, its E. border being elevated about 500 feet above the surface of the lake. It is drained by Little Sandy Creek and many smaller streams, all of which have rapid currents and are frequently interrupted by falls, which furnish a good supply of water-power. Little Sandy Pond, a portion of Lake Ontario, nearly landlocked, lies principally within the limits of this town. The soil consists of gravelly loam and disintegrated shale, and is generally productive. Lumber is the principal manufactured product.(7) Washingtonville, (Sandy Creek p.o.,) situated on Little Sandy Creek, 4 mi. from its mouth, is a station on the W. & R. R. R. Pop. 423. The first settlement was made in 1804, by Joseph Hurd and Elias Howe, from Oneida co.(8) The first church (Presb.) was organized in 1817, by Rev. Mr. Dunlap. There are now 3 churches in town.(9)
7. There are 11 sawmills, 2 shingle mills, 2 gristmills, and 2 tanneries in town.
8. In 1805 Asel Hurd and 5 families, from Vt., by the name of Meacham, settled in town.
The first sawmill was built by Wm. Skinner and Joseph Hurd, in 1804;
The first gristmill, by James Hinman, in 1806.
Simeon Meacham kept the first store and tavern, in 1806;
The first school was taught at the house of George Harding by his daughter, in 1807-08.
The first birth was that of Laura Hurd;
The firat marriage, that of Henry Patterson and Lucy Meacham, in 1806;
The first death, that of Mrs. Elias Howe in 1807.
9. Presb., M. E., and
Bap., all at Washingtonville.