TOWN OF WILLIAMSTOWN,
OSWEGO CO., N.Y.
Railroad Station, Williamstown, NY
Williamstown, NY with a sign for Syracuse Ice Cream
by Stella Edick Sawyer
anyone has information on the Hotel and/or the Syracuse Ice Cream Store,
history, etc., would love to have it online!)
**It would be wonderful to have more
photo's/postcards of Williamstown,
if anyone would like to scan their copy!!
Look at the Past" -
from the book
(HAPPY VALLEY) -
Landmark's History Book Town of Williamstown, Oswego County, NY
of SOLOMON GOODWIN
Samuel Plumb Family History & Migrations
Valley Cemetery Index and Land Record
Family Cemetery, Williamstown, NY
Cemetery, Williamstown, NY
Cemetery, Williamstown, NY
Williamstown Presbytery Church, Oswego Co., NY
Federal Census Town of Williamstown
Williamstown Census Index
DEEDS AND WILLS
Family Deed Abstracts
Abstracts on Joseph ALLEN
Newspaper Notices, 1900
of Peter HUTT, Williamstown, NY
TREASURER'S of the PAST
Allen's Diaries & Scribble-in-books
of items from her diaries & scrapbooks:
of Hazel B. Allen - written
by her Granddaughter
Records - In Oswego County, NY From 1897
Records - In Oswego County, NY From 1844
- In Oswego County, NY From 1906
Family Reunion Book -
many names are listed here, including
births, deaths, marriages.
Williamstown, NY 13493
Phone: 315 964-2393
formed from Mexico, as part of Oneida co., March 24, 1804. Richland
was taken off in 1807, and Amboy in 1830. It lies near the center
of the E. border of the co. The surface is undulating in the
s., but broken and stony in the w., and moderately hilly in the E.
It is drained by Fish Creek, flowing into Oneida Lake, and the head branches
of Salmon River. The surface of Fish Creek at Williamstown Mills,
in the S. E. part, is 354 feet above Lake Ontario, and the hills in the
N.E. are 200 to 300 feet higher. The greater part of the town is
yet unsettled. The soil is a moderately fertile sandy or gravelly
loam. Lumber and leather are the principal manufactured products.
(p.v.,) on Fish Creek, in the S. part, is a station on the W. & R R.R.
Pop. 240. Kasoag, (p.v.,) a little W. of the center, is a
station on the W. & R.R.R. and contains about 25 houses.
was obtained from the Historical & Statistical Gazeteer of New York
State, R. P. Smith, Publisher, Syr., 1860, by J. H. French.
The first settlement was made in
1801, by Gilbert TAYLOR, Solomon GOODWIN, Ichabod COMSTOCK, Dennis ORTON,
Henry WILLIAMS, and Henry FILKINS.
The first church (Cong.) was founded
in 1805, by Rev. Wm. STONE.
The first marriage was that of Joel
RATHBURN and Miss P. ALDEN, in Sept 1802, and the first death, that of
Mrs. Sarah ORTON, in the spring of 1804.
Isaac ALDEN opened the first inn,
in 1803, built the first sawmill, the same year, and the first gristmill,
The first store was opened in 1806,
by Danl. FURMAN.
The first school was taught by Philander
ALDEN, in 1803.
There are now 2 churches in town;
Cong. and M.E.
Look at the Past"
This was made available by Glenna
J. Gorski, Town Historian If you would like to inquire about this
book, or about the resources available, you may contact her at (315) 964-
2393 or mail to: P.O. Box 54; Williamstown, NY 13493
1801 - 1951 - THE FIRST 150
After the Revolutionary War, plans
were made to settle west of the Hudson River, Wealthy New Yorkers formed
land companies to encourage settlement. Land-starved New Englanders
planned to make new homes where they heard there was an abundance of level,
In 1791, a company headed
by Nicholas and John ROOSEVELT purchased 525,000 acres for three schillings
and one penny ( equal to about 13.5 cents) an acre. This area covered
Oswego and Oneida Counties and part of Herkimer county.
In 1794, the Roosevelt Purchase
was sold to another member of the company, George SCRIBA It became
the Scriba Patent. The land was then surveyed and divided up into
townships, with Williamstown given the survey name Franklin, Township No.
Ichabod Comstock settled in Franklin
in 1801. He made the first clearing in the township on Lot 155, neat
what is now known as Morgan Road. He was soon joined by Gilbert Taylor,
Solomon Goodwin, Dennis Orton, and Henry Filkins, most of them being from
In 1802, Judge Henry Williams
relocated from nearby Camden on Lots 189 and 190 near the present home
of Sam and Geraldine DeMassey. Shortly after his arrival, Franklin
was renamed Williamstown in Judge Williams' honor.
The first marriage in town was that
of Joel Rathbun and Miss P. Alden in September 1802. Issac Alden
opened a tavern and inn in the same year. He also built the first
sawmill (1803) which was capable of cutting a thousand feet of lumber per
Gilbert Taylor opened one of the
first stores at "The Corners", now junction Rt. 13, Rt. 30 and Sol Davis
Road. Several dwellings sprang up in this area along with the
first school, taught by Philander Alden in 1803- 04.
The town recorded it's first death
in the spring of 1804, Mrs. Sarah Orton.
Williamstown was formed from Mexico,
part of Oneida County, on March 24, 1804 (Oswego County wasn't formed until
1816). Richland was taken off in 1807 and Amboy in 1830.
In 1813, the post office was
established also at "The Corners," and William Hempstead kept a tavern
which was later bought by Jessie Fish (see page 47). However, the
water power of Fish Creek drew later settlers to that area, the site of
the present village.
Dr. Torbet came to town in 1804 and
erected the first grist mill. Daniel Stacey built the first carding
mill in 1810. Both were located upon Fish Creek, near Alden's sawmill.
This location later became known as Williamstown Mills.
Town of Williamstown Stone Hill was
a settlement of a dozen or more farms located on the southern edge of Williamstown-
partly in the town of Williamstown and partly in the Amboy township.
The road being the dividing line. It was settled about 1825 and named
after WE Stone, an early settler. There was a schoolhouse used also
for church, Sunday School and community gatherings, such as box socials
and square dances. Some early settlers were Chester Hull, Godfreys,
Beardsleys, Oyers, Horatio and Nathaniel Harris. Only two of the
original houses are left- all other buildings are gone. In recent
years some camps have been built along the road. A small section
is now part of the Happy Valley Game Preserve.
Taken from the Williamstown Journal
In 1860, Calvert Comstock, a well-to-do
business man purchased a large tract of virgin forest in the northern part
of Williamstown and southern Redfield.
He and others formed a corporation
known as the "Williamstown and Redfield Railroad and Forest Company".
They proceeded to build a rail line into the woods to tap these vast timber
resources. The railroad was laid of the best oak stringer and strap
iron construction practices of the day. At one time, eight million
board feet of lumber was milled a year and as many as 40 carloads a day
left Williamstown for Rome. This lumber was sold to the New York
A Post Office was established in
1863 and quite a village sprang up. At one time, as many as 500 men
were engaged in lumbering. As the timber became scarcer, the railroad
was extended farther into the forest. Maple Hill was said to be the
busiest lumber town in the North Country.
Gradually, the timber supply was
exhausted and the whole operation including Maple Hill began to die.
The hum of the saws, which for several years had never ceased it's constant
whirring, was stilled.
A few years later, 1876, the railroad
was abandoned and the rails were torn up.
Cleared land, now gave way to farming
and thus it continued for some 50 or 60 years. Now, only a farm or
two remains. The old schoolhouse still stands. Several camps
have been built there recently. Most of the area residents live there
and work away.
Some of the settlers were Gillespie,
Back to Oswego County
1999 - 2008 Mary Lou Guindon / Glenna J. Gorski - Historian
All Rights Reserved