Saratoga County, New York
Welcome to Saratoga County, NY, History and Genealogy. This is is a central point of entry to independent not-for-profit web sites with historical or genealogical content. Although independent, it is affiliated with The American Local History Network. To learn more about this group, click the logo above.
Link to: Sylvester's History of Saratoga Co., NY
Return to Home Page
Saratoga County was taken from Albany in 1791; greatest length N. and 5. 47, and greatest breadth E. and W. 30 miles. Centrally distant from Albany 36 miles. "Its name is supposed to be a corruption of the Indian word Sah-rah-ka, or the 'side hill.' The greater part of the lands in this tract were originally granted by the English crown to a company of 13 individuals, by the title of the patent of Kayaderosseras. Smaller portions were included in other patents.
Thus Van Schaick's, of an earlier date, included the town of Water-
ford and adjacent country. The Saratoga patent embraced six miles square
on the Hudson river north of Van Schaick's; and the apple patent,
located on the Mohawk, extended 'three miles back into the woods,'
towards Ballston Lake. The first recorded grant of lands in
The surface of the county presents a broad diversity, having the Kayaderosseras and Palmertown mountains in the northwest, and in the southeast, sandy plains, generally level, and along the Hudson and some of the smaller streams, extensive tracts of rich alluvion. There are several small lakes, the largest of which are Saratoga, Ballston, or the Long Lake, Round Lake, Owl Pond, & c. This county is rich in historical incidents.
Html by Dianne Thomas
These electronic pages may be
printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be
reproduced in any format for
profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.
Copyright 2001 - 2012