Yates County, New York
Early Settlers for the Town of Barrington
From the History of Yates County, NY
published 1892, by L.C. Aldrich
pg 445 - 448
Return to Home Page Return to Town Index
The pioneer of the town, according to common understanding and consent, was Jacob TEEPLES, better known as Colonel TEEPLES, who located in the town during the year 1800, and on what was known as Charles Williamson’s road, leading form Bath to Geneva.
Jacob TEEPLES was a
pioneer and a good and worthy citizen. He
turned his habitation into a hotel, and kept public house for some years.
Neighbors he had none for some time, but his house was an important point
on the old stage road. Colonel TEEPLES
was himself a worthy man, for he served
two terms in the Assembly, representing Steuben County, and was also sheriff of
the county one term. He was
succeeded in the ownership of the hotel by
Daniel RAPALEE, after which he left
the town. The latter continued for
many years as landlord, as the first town meeting was held at his place in 1823.
the time of his settlement in 1800 to 1806,
alone in town, but the year last named witnessed the arrival of a number of
families, among them being those of
William OVENSHIRE, Oliver PARKER, Thomas
BRONSON, Joseph FINTON, William COOLBAUGH, James FINLEY, James and Nehemiah
HIGBY, John CARR
and possibly others whose names are not recalled. William OVENSHIRE
came to Barrington in 1806, a young man
with his wife, both determined upon making a home in the unoccupied township.
He did this and more, he became an influential man in the region; was for
many years constable and justice of the peace, and likewise a prominent church
member. He was twice married and
left a numerous family of children, who with their descendants are worthy
residents of the town today.
one of the pioneers of 1806 in Barrington, was an old
He made his settlement in
the northeast section of the town, on the so-called “poor lands”, but he
succeeded in building up a fine farm. Like
William OVENSHIRE, Mr. FINTON raised a large family of children, ten in all,
viz.: Mary, Phebe, Eleanor, Stephen, Charity, Isaac R., Joseph, Catharine, Susan
now not numerous in the town, but such as are here are among the respected and
enterprising families of their locality.
Matthew KNAPP, also a pioneer, was one of three brothers, the others being
who cleared farms and established homes in Barrington.
came to this locality from Orange County.
To himself and wife,
were born several children: Hannah,
Sally, Christiana, Eliza, William, Levi and Jesse.
The family name is still worthily represented in the town.
SUNDERLIN was the head of a family of ten children who became residents of
Barrington. The first visit to the
town by the pioneer was make in 1813, and in the next year settlement was made
by him and followed by his family. He
located in the part of the town that has ever since been known as Sunderlin
Hollow, and sol called in honor of the pioneer. David SUNDERLIN
was from Putnam County, and his settlement in
this town was directly instrumental in bringing to the Hollow and its locality a
number of other families from the same place. The children of
Dennis, Joseph, Daniel, Tippett,
Ira, Eli, Anna, Lydia, Elizabeth, and Polly or Mary. The late
Delazon J. SUNDERLIN,
was the son of
by his marriage with
became one of the most influential men that Barrington ever
produced. He was a lawyer of
ability, and at one time district attorney for the county, 1851-52.
His wife was
Louisa SWARTHOUT, by whom these children were born:
Emila A., Martin J., Edward D., John L. and Nancy E.
built the first saw mill on Big Stream;
came to the town from old Putnam in 1812 ore thereabouts. He married
Lydia SUNDERLIN, who bore him these children:
Maria, Martha, Lydia, Erasmus and Alzada.
was one of the Putnam County contingents that settled Barrington.
He came in 1813. His wife was
he had seven children:
Dennis, Watson, Ira, Daniel, Anna, Maria and Mary Ann.
married the widow of
and came to make their future home in
this town in 1812.
Polly, Julia and
Allen BASSETT, children of
Justus BASSETT, came with them.
Their settlement was made on lot 16, in the eastern part of town.
Beulah (BASSETT) BOYCE
had three children:
Chauncey, and Harriet.
locality of the town commonly known as East Hill was settled about 1814 by
settlers in the vicinity were
Daniel WINTERS, Julius STANTON, Benjamin OSBORN,
Isaac H. MAPLES, Jonathan H. TAYLOR
and others, perhaps whose names are
stands not only for thrift and enterprise in Barrington, but as
well for pioneer-ship. Nathan CROSBY
came from Putnam County in 1812, and settled in Sunderlin Hollow, near what
afterward became known as Crystal Spring. After
two years he went to Delaware County, but only to return again to Barrington
some years later. His children were
Selah, Mariam, Esther, Sarah, Abigail, Peter H., and Cyrus.
Peter H. CROSBY
Their children were
Emelia, Alanson, Joseph, Selah, Druzilla and
On Lake Keuka is a little hamlet called Crosby’s, derived its name from
the industries built up by the sons of
Peter H. CROSBY.
A succeeding portion of this chapter will furnish a more extended account
of the locality.
those already mentioned as being pioneer families of Barrington, there are
perhaps others equally deserving of notice in this chapter. In the town today there are natives and descendants of early
families, among whom may be recalled such names as ANDREWS, BALEY, BAIN, BELLIS,
BULLOCK, CHAPMAN, CHASE, CLARK, COONS, CORNELL, EDWARDS, EGGLESTON, ELLIS, FISH,
FLORENCE, FREEMAN, FRY, GARDNER, GASPER, GIBBS, GUNTHRIE, HARPENING, HORTON,
HOUCK, JONES, KENYON, LAZEAR, LEE, LEWIS, LOCKWOOD, MC DOWELL, MC INTYRE, MERRIT,
MILLARD, MILLER, MOSHER, MORSE, NANGLE, RAPALEE, ROBINSON, SHANNON, SHAW,
SHERWOOD, SMITH, SNOOK, SORNBERGER, STANTON, STEADWELL, STOUGHTENBURG, STRUBLE,
SWARTOUT, SWARTS, TAYLOR, THAYER, TOWNSEND, TUPPER, TUTTLE, VAN GORDER, WALTON,
WATSON, WARREN, WELKER, WHEELER, WINTERS, WIXSON, WORTMAN and WRIGHT, each of
whom has in some manner by his or their acts contributed toward the building up
and establishing the condition of prosperity which the people of the town at
this time enjoy. But to take from the above list each individual and family
and furnish separate genealogical records for them would involve the writer of
town history in a maze of difficulty and perplexity; in fact it would be a task
well nigh impossible of accomplishment, and would extend the volume of this
chapter beyond all reasonable proportion.
HTML by Dianne
These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.
Copyright 2004 - 2016
[NY History and Genealogy]