Yates County, New York
Early Settlers for the Town of Milo
From the History of Yates County, NY
published 1892, by L.C. Aldrich
pgs. 274 - 285
Return to Home Page Return to Town Index
Benajah and Joshua ANDREWS were pioneers in the Friend’s settlement. The former was an early school teacher and the latter was a merchant. Benajah died during young manhood. Joshua married in 1792, Mary, daughter of Thomas Lee Sr. Their children: Jeremiah B., Elizabeth, Sarah and Maria.
John ARMSTONG settled on lot
12, on land purchased by his father in 1793.
His wife was Sarah EMBREE whom he married in 1822, and by whom he had two
children, Mary Ann and Henry. The
former was born in 1823 and died in 1858. Henry
was born in 1824, married first Adaline HUNT, by whom he had three children:
Charles H., Marion, and John. His
second wife was Mercy J. BRIGGS. The
youngest son, John, now lives on the old farm.
He married Lucy, daughter of John SHEPPARD and has one child.
William W. ASPELL and family
settled near Milo Center in 1816. He
was born in Ireland. His children,
by a second marriage, however, were David B., Mary A., and Elizabeth S.
Charles and Catharine (SMITH) BABCOCK were natives of Connecticut and New York, respectively, and became residents of Milo in 1816, settling on lot 45. Both died in 1829. Their children were Job, Eunice, Abiram and Stephen.
Gilbert BAKER became a
settler on lot 8 in Milo, in 1811. His
wife was Margaret CONNER, by whom he had children, viz.: John C., Samantha,
Jane, Darius, Lucinda, Eliza, Jonathan G., Cynthia and Gilbert D.
Thomas BAXTER was born at
Kinderhook, NY, in 1776 and his wife Lavina (BENJAMIN) BAXTER, was born ten
years later. They lived for many years in Seneca County, but in 1839 moved to
Milo, locating on lot 29. He died
in 1864. Their children were Mahala, William, Elizabeth, Isaac, Phebe,
Caroline, and Gilbert.
Aaron BAYARD and his family
were pioneers of Benton, having settled in that town in 1798.
Their children were Joshua and Benedict.
The former married Martha BLAKE and moved in 1811 to Milo, locating on
lot 72. Their children were Allen,
Samantha, Martha Ann, Emeline, Marietta, Franklin, Calista, Serepta and John B.
Thomas BENNETT and Charity
(HEDGES) BENNETT, his wife, became settlers on lot 29 in 1812.
After clearing and improving a farm, Mr. BENNETT moved his family to
Starkey. Their children were David
J., Polly, Elizabeth, Jerusha, Abraham H., Esther, Thomas, Sally, Samuel, Nancy,
Stephen, Mehitable, Sophia and Charity.
Lewis BIRDSELL settled on lot 18, in 11792. He contracted with Enoch MALIN to build the first dam, flume and sawmill at the foot of Main street in Penn Yan, for a consideration equivalent to fifty-five pounds. Shortly afterward Mr. BIRDSELL sold the property to David WAGENER and moved to Seneca County.
John and Peleg BRIGGS were
pioneer settlers on the location where is now the hamlet called Milo Center.
They were followers of the Friend. The
children of John and Elizabeth (BAILEY) BRIGGS were John Jr., David, Ruth, Ann
and Esther. The BRIGGS family came
to this locality from North Kingston, Rhode Island.
Peter H. BROWN settled in
the town in 1816.
Amzi BRUEN, the ancestor of
the BRUEN families now living in Milo, was born in New Jersey in 1799.
His wife was Catharine HALL, daughter of John A. HALL.
The children of Amzi and Catharine BRUEN were John H., George, Sarah A.,
Horace R., Eveline H., Austin H., and Augustus.
John BUXTON was born in
Yorkshire, England, August 5, 1764 and came to this country and to Milo, in
1800, his family at that time consisted only of himself and his wife.
Their children were Catharine, John, Thomas, Bridget and Mary Ann.
John BUXTON Jr., married Lois LORD of Sharon, Conn., by whom he had three
children, John J., Lois Lavina, and William W.
In 1801 John CAPELL, then a
resident of Middlesex, Mass., married Sally BLOOD and immediately afterwards
came to Yates County and to Milo, where he worked his trade, that of millwright. He eventually moved to a farm just out of Penn Yan.
The children of John and Sally CAPELL were Harriet, Columbus, John, Eliza
Ann and Mary Ann (twins), Daniel, Racelia, Henry, William P., Emily and Thomas
Another of the pioneers of
Milo was Stephen CARD, whose settlement dates back to 1788.
Both he and his wife, Hannah, were natives of Rhode Island. Stephen CARD and John REYNOLDS cleared the land and sowed the
first wheat west of Seneca Lake. Mr.
CARD first settled near City Hill, but afterward moved to a farm near Himrod.
The children of Stephen and Hannah CARD were John and Sarah CARD.
Samuel CASTNER was a pioneer
of Milo. His wife was Mary
Magdalene, daughter of David WAGENER. Their
children were Rebecca, Mary Ann, Rachel W., Ann M., Rachel W., Ann M., Elizabeth
and Susan S.
Augustus CHIDSEY, native of
Connecticut, became a resident of Milo in 1817, setting on lot 17.
His wife was Anna RATHBUN, by whom he had five children: Freelove,
Augustus C., Sarah, Samuel B. and Joseph. His
second wife was Sarah BIDLACK, who bore him three children, Frank, Anna and
Libbeus and Comfort (BOOTH)
CLEVELAND were natives of Vermont, but became residents of Milo in 1811.
The were the parents of four children: Hannah, Naomi, Stephen H., and
Harriet. Comfort CLEVELAND died in
1831 and in 1839, Libbeus married Lavina ONDERDONK.
John CORNER and his family
came here in 1812.
Dr. William CORNWELL came to
Penn Yan about the year 1809. He
was an educated physician, and in connection with his practice taught school for
a time. He also studied law and was
admitted to practice. He married
Sarah CHIDSEY, of an old and respected family of Milo, by whom he had ten
children: John, Achsa Ann, Emily, William Augustus, Henry Baldwin, Elizabeth,
Samuel, Caroline, George Rathbun and Frances Helen.
Peter EASTMAN and Sarah, his
wife, located on the “Pine Tract” in Milo in 1818.
They afterward moved to Seneca County, Ohio.
Their children were John W., Daniel W., Polly, James T., Peter O., Moses
W., William W., Henry M. and Charles L.
John and Solomon FINCH,
brothers, with their families settled on Seneca Lake in 1808.
John moved from this town to Michigan.
Solomon married Sally RANDOLPH, by whom he had eleven children, viz.:
Azariah, Nathaniel, David, Solomon, John R., Betsey, Keziah, Catharine A.,
Caroline, Jeffrey and Lewis. The
second wife of Solomon FINCH was Phylura MARKHAM.
George and Hannah (DAVIDS)
FITZWATER, husband and wife, came to Milo from Pennsylvania in 1799.
Their children were John, Sarah, George, Hannah and Thomas (twins) and
Among the forty or more
pioneers from Pennsylvania, who with their families settled near Himrods, was
Malachi DAVIS and his family. His
wife was Catharine GILKERSON and the children who came to this town were
Jonathan, Samuel, Rachel, Jesse, John, Malachi and Nathaniel.
Jacob FREDENBERG is said to
have been a setter in Mil of earlier date that the Friends.
He was a refugee from Massachusetts, having fled the State during the
famous Shay’s rebellion, and took up his abode with his wife and children on
Jacob’s Brook, in the north part of Milo as afterward organized. He is said to have come here in 1787. The Senecas permitted the settlement but restricted his
Mary GARDNER, the wife of
George GARDNER, formerly of Rhode Island, became one of the early settlers in
the Friends colony. Her husband
remained in the East, and she and her children, Dorcas, Abner and George came to
the Genesee county, locating first near the Friend’s home, but later moved to
Milo. Dorcas GARDNER married
Eleazer INGRAHAM Jr., and had seven children: John, Abigail, Mary, George,
Rhoda, Rachel and Nancy. Abner
GARDNER married Mary CHAMPLIN, and had these children: Mary, George W., Rowland
J. and Abner. Abner Sr.,
died in 1860 and his wife two years earlier.
George GOUNDRY and his wife
Elizabeth (HESLOP) GOUNDRY, were both of English birth.
In 1798 they came to America and to Geneva.
George was employed to look after the Hopeton mill, which brought him to
this country. In 1802 he bought a
farm on the Garter. The children of
George and Elizabeth GOUNDRY were Thomas, Elizabeth, Catharine, George, Ann,
Julia A., Matthew, and Cornelius.
Jonathan J. HAZARD and
Patience his wife, and their family became residents of Milo during the early
years of this century. Their
children were: Jonathan J., Griffin
B., Joseph H., Thomas, Susanna, and Abigail.
Richard HENDERSON was born
in Ireland, March 17, 1767, and died January 23, 1850.
His wife, Anna WAGENER, was born September 10, 1777 and died November 13,
1864. Their children: Samuel, born
March 5, 1797, married Harriet ARNOT and died April 12, 1834; David, born
December 25, 1798, married December 9, 1819, died February 18, 1883; Maria, born
August 11, 1800, married Samuel GILLETTE, May 9, 1820 and died April 6, 1886;
Mary, born March 16, 1803, married Johnson A. NICHOLS, died April 16, 1889;
Rebecca, born November 8, 1805, married George NICHOLS first and afterwards
Nehemiah RAPLEE, lives at Bath; Elizabeth born January 14, 1809, married Caleb
J. LEGG, lives in Torrey; Richard, born January 15, 1810, died May 15, 1864;
Anna B., born July 11, 1812, married Barnum MALLORY, lives in Illinois; Jane,
born June 1, 1814, married Smith L. Mallory, lives west; Harriet, born November
17, 1816, married Louis MILLARED, lives in Dundee; James W.,
born March 19, 1819, married Martha A. DRAKE and lives at Milo Center;
Rachel, born July 9, 1821, married James C. LONGWELL, lives at Penn Yan.
Children of Richard and Rosalinda HENDERSON: Samuel S., born October 9,
1836; Charles, born February 27, 1838, died May 28, 1872; Marvin and Marsden,
born April 2, 1842; James A., born October 6, 1845.
Richard HENDERSON, the pioneer, settled between Milo Center and Himrods
about the year 1795.
Thomas HOLLOWELL was the
head of a pioneer family in Milo, which family consisted of his wife and three
children, William, Joseph and Thomas. William
was born in 1774 and married Hannah HUNT. Joseph,
born in 1776, married Eleanor SMITH of Milo, who bore him ten children: Mary,
Thomas, Joseph, Hannah, Ann, Martha, William, John B., James and George.
Adam HUNT and Mary, his
wife, were natives of Rhode Island, and came to the Friend’s settlement as
pioneers, locating near Milo Center on the Garter.
Their children were Sarah, Silas, Mary, Abel, Hannah, Lucy and Lydia.
Josiah JONES and family
settled near Himrods in 1806. His
wife was Sarah ELLIS, who, as well as himself, was a native of Rhode Island.
Their children were Timothy, Seth, Nancy, Abigail, and Eunice an Lydia
The family of James KNAPP
settled in Milo in 1815. He had
been a soldier of the Revolution, and was with General SULLIVAN on his famous
campaign against the Senecas. His
wife was Lucy G. BALL. Their
children were Anna B., Samuel C., Augustus, and Pamelia.
Augustus KNAPP married Margaret HELTIBIDAL, by whom these children were
born: George H., Marsena V.R., Aaron P., Samuel A., Mary L., Charles F., Oliver
C., William C. and Franklin.
John LAWRENCE, follower for
a time of the Friend, came to Milo from New Bedford, Mass.
He was one of the leading men of the settlement and in comfortable
circumstances. His wife was Anna
HATHAWAY, relative of the prominent Thomas HATHAWAY.
The children of John and Anna LAWRENCE were Melatiah, Mary, Samuel,
Reliance, Anna, Olive, John, Sabra and Silas.
John LAWRENCE, the pioneer, built the first mill struction on the
privilege now utilized by John T. ANDREWS.
David LEE came from Putnam
County and located at the foot of the lake in 1812, but afterward moved to
Pulteney. His wife was Patty MEAD,
by whom he had eight children: Polly,
Jacob, Robert, Rachel, Joseph R., Jehiel, Erastus and David B.
Thomas LEE and Waty
(SHERMAN) LEE, his wife, with a large family. Settled on lot 2, in 1790.
Their children were Abigail, Mary, Elizabeth, Waty, Joshua, Nancy,
Patience, Thomas Jr., James and Sherman.
Samuel V.C. MILLER was a
native of New Jersey, born in 1781. In
1806 he married Esther CUTTER, also of New Jersey, and came to Milo in 1822,
settling on the Lake road. Samuel,
the pioneer died in 1852 and his wife in 1858.
Their children were Maria, Isabel, John C., Sarah F., Samuel V., Abram
and Esther (twins), Susan C., Ephraim C., David, Phebe A.W., Stephen W. and
Isaac and Anna (BOON)
NICHOLS were numbering among the Rhode Island contingent of pioneer settlers in
Milo. They were followers of the
Friend, steadfast and true. Isaac
NICHOLS located on the Garter, and after him the place was named Nichols’s
Corners, afterward and now known as Milo Center.
Isaac Nichols died in 1829, and his wife nine years later.
Their children were George, Alexander, Benjamin and Jacob.
George married Hannah GREEN and had one child, George B. NICHOLS.
Alexander married Polly or Mary CHAMBERS and by her had these children:
Joisah G., Johnson A., Alexander and Loring G. NICHOLS.
Eliphalet NORRIS was born in
New Hampshire in 1763 and in 1792 came to this town, locating at what became
known as Norris’ Landing, where he established a trading post.
In 1793 he married Mary, daughter of Thomas HATHAWAY, who bore him five
children, viz.: Thomas H., Benjamin G., George W., James H. and Joshua F.
Terry OWEN and his wife, who
before marriage was Polly FINCH, both of Orange County, NY, came to Milo in
1810, settling near Seneca Lake near Dresden.
Terry died in 1821 and his wife in 1844.
Their children were Nathaniel, Hannah, Jonathan, William, Julia, Daniel,
Ira, Isaac and Maria.
The PERRY family were early
settlers in the town and were in good numbers.
The children of the pioneer parents, James and Elizabeth PERRY were:
Thomas, Lewis, Phebe, David, Enos, Abigail, Amarillis, Delila and William.
John PLYMPTON and Rhoda, his
wife, both natives of Massachusetts, came to Milo in 1795 and settled on lot 17.
John died at Deerfield, Oneida County and his wife in 1833 at West
Bloomfield. Their children were
Esther, Rachel, Moses A., Aaron, Rhoda, John, Polly or Mary, and Henry.
Aaron PLYMPTON married Elizabeth HELITIBIDAL, by whom he had four
children, Daniel L., George W., Ezra W. and Mary E.
Jephtha F. RANDOLPH and his
family came from New Jersey and settled on lot 15 of the Potter tract in 1809.
His children were William, John, Daniel, David F., Finch F., Eliza,
Morris, Jephtha F. and Azariah.
Charles ROBERTS came from
Philadelphia to Milo in 1799. He
married Hannah STONE and settled on lot 14, near Milo Center.
He was the first town clerk of Milo, holding that office from 1818 to
1837. He died in 1839 and his wife
in 1861. Their children were
Charlotte, Charles H., Robert and Clarissa.
The surname SHEPPARD is well known throughout Yates County. The pioneer of this prominent family was Morris F. SHEPPARD, born at Germanton, Pa, November 28, 1774. In 1799 Mr. SHEPPARD came to Penn Yan. He had heard of the Friend, possibly he knew her, but he never became her follower. By occupation Mr. SHEPPARD was a cloth fuller and established himself in that business soon after arriving here. Later he added a tannery to his business interests. On October 22, 1801, Mr. SHEPPARD married Rachel, daughter of Peter SUPPLEE, by whom he had children as follows: George Ashbridge SHEPPARD, born September 11, 1802, died February 26, 1874; Sarah Fletcher SHEPPAARD, born July 26, 1804, married September 14, 1843 to Eli SHELDON, died Oct 5, 1849; John Shoemaker SHEPPARD, born June 18, 1806 died at Geneva, March 2, 1828;; Charles Clement SHEPPARD, born June 9, 1808; Susan SHEPPARD, born February 26, 1812, died July 28, 1842.
Charles Clement SHEPPARD married May 26, 1835, Jane W., daughter of Henry BRADLEY. Their children were: Jane s., born July 21, 1838, married William PATTESON, died in Chicago in 1865; John Shoemaker, born August 18, 1840, married January 21, 1866; Morris F. SHEPPARD, born July 20, 1843; Henry Bradley SHEPPARD, born July 10, 1845, died April 6, 1865; Susan SHEPPARD, born September 26, 1847, died April 24, 1861; Charles Clement SHEPPARD Jr., born October 20, 1851, died December 30, 1855; Sarah Fletcher SHEPPARD, born December 15, 1856, wife of Hatley K. ARMSTRONG. Charles C. SHEPPARD died January 17, 1888.
Silas SPINK settled on the
Gore in 1790. He was a native of
Rhode Island, and journeyed to the home of the Friends in company with several
other persons who sought a home in the New Jerusalem.
Silas SPINK married Martha BRIGGS, and had two children, Mary and Silas
Three brothers and one
sister, Frederick, William, Luther and Sophia SPOONER, children of Benjamin and
Freelove SPOONER, settled in Milo during the pioneer period about or after 1800.
Frederick and his wife, Martha, were parents of four children: Calvin,
Benjamin, Polly and Berlin. William’s
children were: William, Elizabeth, Bennett, Polly, Alanson and Cynthia.
The children of Luther and Hannah (ALLEN) SPOONER were Luther, Allen,
Freelove, Benjamin, Leonard T., and James C.
Andrew STONE was a pioneer
of Milo. His wife was Mary DAVIS by
whom he had these children: Jesse, Hannah, Sarah, John, Mary, Samuel, Andrew,
Ruth and Eliza. The family came to
the county in 1799.
The pioneer of the STRUBLE
family in Milo was Adam STRUBLE, who was of Holland Dutch descent, but himself a
native of New Jersey. His wife was
Mary DEAN. In 1814 the family came
to Milo and settled near Himrods. Adam
STRUBLE died in 1867, and his wife, Mary, in 1868.
Their children were Moses, Henry, Levi, Louisa, Dean, Sidney, Phebe, Ira,
Hannah, Elizabeth, Morgan, Fowler and Ellen. Hanford STRUBLE, the present county judge of Yates County,
and Dr. Henry A. STRUBLE are sons of Levi STRUBLE by his marriage to Mary MISNER.
John SUPPLEE was a pioneer
of the Friends tract, coming thither from Philadelphia prior to 1790.
In that year he married Achsa, the daughter of Jonathan BOTSFORD.
Mr. SUPPLEE first located in Torrey, but after one or two years moved to
the locality of Himrods. He was one
of the early distillers of the region, but in 1815 turned his attention to the
more agreeable occupation of running a saw-mill on Plum Point.
He, in 1825, built two small riverboats, named respectively, Trader
and Farmer, in which lumber, grain, and produce were carried to Albany.
Peter, John and Jonathan were the children of John and Achsa SUPPLEE.
Sarah SUTHERLAND, widow of
Stephen SUTHERLAND, of Dutchess County, NY, with three of eleven children, were
early settlers of Milo. The
children referred to were Mead, Lewis and William.
From these three sons have descended the several members of the
Sutherland families who now lives in Milo.
George F. SWARTHOUT was the
fifth son of Anthony SWARTHOUT Jr., and was born in the town of Ovid, October
28, 1790. He married Rowena
RUSSELL, of Barrington, December 3, 1818 and settled in Barrington in 1819. In 1843 he settled in Milo, three miles south of Penn Yan,
where he died July 13, 1853. His
children were Seymour, William R., Irene, Willis, Norton R., Anthony, John,
George, Nancy N. and Heman S.
Simeon THAYER was the
pioneer in Milo of a family that has been as prolific as perhaps any in the
town. He was born in this Sate, as
also was his wife, Elizabeth LUCAS, whom he married in 1805.
They first settled on lot 35 but afterward moved to the lake shore about
five miles from Penn Yan. Their
children were Jacob, Joseph, James, Samuel, Sally Ann, Simeon, David, William,
Laura, Emeline, Reuben, Andrew and John.
Allen VORCE and his family
settled on lot 51 in 1818.
Abraham WAGENER settled near
Himrods in 1792, but afterward moved to Penn Yan.
On may 26, 1796, he married Mary CASTNER, by whom he had seven children:
David, Samuel, Jacob, William, Mary, Charles and George.
In 1809 Mary, wife of Abraham, died and in 1811 he married Joanna
EDMANDSON of Philadelphia, who bore him these children: Abraham N., George,
Annette, Henry N., Henrietta and Henrietta 2nd (the first child of
that name having died in extreme infancy).
Abraham WAGENER died May 21, 1853.
Where now is situated the principal business portion of the village of Penn Yan, was prior to 1796 an extensive area of untilled and uninhabited land. In that year, David WAGENER became the owner by purchase of nearly all this tract, extending north to about the present Court street, and including about 275 acres of land. David WAGENER was the head of one of the most prominent pioneer families of Yates County, and he was, moreover, a faithful and ardent follower of the Friend. He was born January 25, 1752. His wife, Rebecca SUPPLEE whom he married January 13, 1774, was born November 25, 1749. As near as can be determined at this time, David WAGENER came to the New Jerusalem in 1791, form which will be discovered the fact by reference to the following record, that nearly all of his children were natives of Pennsylvania, near or at Norristown, from whence the family came to Yates county. The children of David and Rebecca were as follows: Abraham, born November 9, 1774; Mary Magdalene, born February 14, 1776; Anna, born September 10, 1777; Melchoir, born January 31, 1779; Elizabeth, born August 27, 1780; David, born April 27, 1783; Rebecca, born January 1, 1785; Lament, born November 13, 1787; Rachel, born September 11, 1789; Rebecca 2nd , born February 1, 1794.
It is said that David WAGENER came to live upon his lands at Penn Yan soon after making the purchase; and that he dwelt for a time in a log house. In 1796 he commenced the erection of a saw-mill on the south side of the outlet, but in constructing a dam across that stream, contracted a severe cold that ultimately resulted in his death. He died August 26, 1799, and his body was buried in the cemetery west of where the village was built up. He donated this land for burial purposes, and was himself the first person to be interred therein.
To his eldest child,
Abraham, David WAGENER devised that part of his lands which lay north of the
outlet, while to his second son, Melchoir, likewise descended the lands south of
the stream. Abraham subsequently
purchased Melchoir’s portion and later moved to Pultney, Abraham came upon the
lands immediately following the death of his father, completed the improvements
the latter had begun, and became one of the foremost men of the county.
No man contributed more than he to the establishing and building up the
village. The story of his life and
actions are told on later pages in this chapter, relating particularly to
In 1803 Jonas YOCUM, Philip
YOCUM, his son, George Heltibidal, son-in-law, John REYNALT, and Peter COLDREN
with their families came from Northumberland, Pa., and settled near Penn Yan.
George Heltibidal was a man of influence and large means, and had much to
do with the early affairs of the locality.
He died in 1808. His children were Elizabeth, Peter, Catharine, George, Polly,
Jacob, Margaret, Phebe and John.
Isaiah YOUNGS settled in 1802 on the Potter location, near Seneca Lake. He was a native of New Jersey and there married Mary HAGGERTY. Their children were: Experience and Temperance (twins), Stephen, Peter, George, Mary and Benjamin. George YOUNGS was prominently connected with the early history of this town and of the village of Penn Yan. He married Rebecca PITNEY, by whom he had these children: George R., Isaiah, Caroline, Harriet, Rebecca and Phebe Ann.
HTML by Dianne
These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.
Copyright 2004 - 2008
[NY History and Genealogy] [ALHN]