H - R
Return to Home Page Return to Town Page
History & Directory of Yates Co., Vol II, Pub 1873, by Stafford C. Cleveland
Information listed below in ( ) are NOT sourced from this book, but from other sources, such as census information.
William HALL and Priscilla RAYMOND were natives of Middlebury, Mass. He was born in 1760 and she in 1763. They were married in 1784 and settled in Potter in 1808. Their children were William, Priscilla, Seth, Phebe, John and Lydia.
William Hall Jr., born in 1785, married Esther, daughter of Peleg BRIGGS Jr. She was the second female child born in the Friend’s Settlement. They resided on a part of the homestead and their children were: Anna, Mary, Sarah, Elizabeth, John, Artalissa, William R., and James B. Anna married Abraham L. ROBINSON of Italy, a worthy citizen of that town. They have had twelve children. Mary, married Ira BENTLEY, and settled in Allegany Co., where she died. Sarah married Mark KELSEY of Mass., and resides in that State. Elizabeth married Martin HOOSE of Benton and settled in Jerusalem. John married Mandavilla WHEELER. They reside in Potter. William R. married Hannah MOON. They reside on his father’s homestead. James B. married Hannah, daughter of Peleg BATES and resides on her paternal homestead.
Dr. Buffum HARKNESS was a physician of note in this town, as early as 1805. He settled two miles southeast of Rushville, on a farm, at what is still known as Harkness Four Corners. He had a large and successful practice and died at the early age of 42 years. He was buried in a Cemetery on the French Farm, one of the earliest in that town. His two children were Allonia and Forrest. Allonia married Luther S. HARWOOD of Middlesex. They lived near Rushville, where he died. He now resides in Rushville.
Forrest was also a physician and a highly respected citizen. He married Lora BREWSTER of Rushville and settled on a farm on the Valley road in Middlesex. He conducted his farm and practiced his profession many years, often holding positions of public trust. He died at Rushville, where he finally removed, leaving five children, Ann, Forest, Jane, Edward and Caroline.
Ann married Henry LAMOUREAUX of Middlesex, who died soon after. She married a second husband, Joshua R. COATES of Clifton Springs, where they resided some time. They have since emigrated west. They have one child.
Forrest married a Miss HAVILAND and emigrated to Wisconsin.
Jane married Hiram BORWN of Middlesex and resides in Potter, east of Rushville.
Edward married Hannah, daughter of Lorenzo HOYT and moved to Grass Lake, Mich.
Caroline married Foster A. HIXSON of Middlesex. He is a lawyer by profession and by occupation a vinyardist in Vine Valley. Hi was a Paymaster in the army during the Rebellion and was elected to the Assembly in 1868.
Dr. James HEERMANS was born in Milan, Dutchess Co., in 1799, studied medicine with Dr. Uri JDD, then of Rhinebeck, and while a student, moved with him to Penn Yan. He received a license from the Yates County Medical So9ciety, the first they gave, and entered first upon his practice with Dr. BURNETT; afterwards conducted an independent practice many years, also managing his farm on lot 5, of the second farm range. He was a favorite physician in his locality, and a conspicuous citizen, taking much interest in public and political affairs. He filled many public stations and was on one occasion the candidate of the Whig Party for Member of Assembly. He had the misfortune to become blind from amaurosis, in 1844, and remained so through life. Such was the activity of his mind that he kept himself well versed in the progress of events until his decease in 1863, in Penn Yan, where his family resided during the last few years of his life. He and his wife early became members of the Free Communion Baptist Church at Potter Center, but subsequently became Methodists. His wife was Eliza, daughter of Armstrong HARTT (sic). She was born in 1805. Their children were: Cornelia m., Emma S., Edwin J., Charles E., Henry C., Catharine E., William H. and Mary E., tow of whom died single. Emma S. married William D. SQUIER, a merchant of Penn Yan, and young man of decided personal worth. Both died in early life, leaving a daughter, Eliza M.
Edwin J., married Adelia S., daughter of George G. WYMAN. He is a prominent clergyman of the East Genesee Methodist Conference. Their children are Carrie A. and Mary A. (twins) and Harriet M.
Charles E. is also a Methodist preacher of the East Genesee Conference. He married Amelia ARNOLD of Canoga, NY. Their children are Emma A. and Edwin J.
Henry C. married Mary L., daughter of Oliver STARK. They reside at Ithaca and have one child, Helen S.
Catharine E. is the wife of George R. CORNWELL.
William H., married Ella, daughter of George CRAMER of Penn Yan, and is a resident of that place.
George HOARD and his second wife, Sally WILLIAMS, settled in Potter in 1802 on lot 9 of the fourth farm range. He was from Rhode Island, and she from Stephentown. They had a son, Benoni, who married a daughter of Capt. THOMAS, a solider killed in the War of 1812. Benoni died in 1831 and his wife in 1827, leaving two sons. By a former marriage, George HOARD had six sons: James, George, David, John, Justus and Amos, all of whom married, resided in Potter and finally moved West.
Isaac HOARD, a native of Rhode Island, was a Revolutionary soldier. He died in 1830. After having lived at Stephentown and Cherry Valley, he moved into Potter in 1810. His wife was Sally SHAW of Stephentown. Their children were: Peleg, Isaac, Edward, Gideon, Nancy and Polly. Peleg married first, Phebe STRICKLAND of Cherry Valley and for his second wife, widow KEELER of Potter. He settled with his father on the west 100 acres of lot 11, range three, and died there.
Isaac HOARD Jr., married a Miss CAMPBELL in Cherry Valley. They emigrated west and their children were James, Lester and Sally.
Gideon married Elizabeth STRICKLAND in Cherry Valley. Their children were Rensselaer, Lorenzo D., Harriet and Alonzo. He married a second wife, widow MATHER, and they had two children, Mahlon and Gideon, who moved west.
Nancy HOARD married Philo STODDARD in 1815 and settled on a farm at the foot of “Stoddard Hill”, on lot 1, sixth range, with his father, after whose death, about 1828, they moved west.
Polly married Benjamin THOMAS and settled on a part of the old Carey CLARK farm. They had several children and moved to Baker’s Bridge, Allegany Co., about 1828.
pg 868 – 873
Rev. William HOBART was a descendant of Rev. Gersham HOBART, who was born in England in 1640 and emigrated to Groton, Mass., where he officiated as a clergyman of the Presbyterian Church and had twelve sons and six daughters. It is recorded in the old family Bible, that they “all followed him to meeting one Sabbath day.” His descendants to the fourth generation resided in that town, Shubael, born in 1681; Israel born in 1724 and William, the above named, who was born in 1752 and was the first to leave the town and the paternal home. He settled in the town of Townsend, Mass, and there married Patience FLAGG, Dec 7, 1778, who was born May 21, 1755. Their children were: William L., Nancy, John and Israel. She died in Massachusetts. For his second wife, he married dolly SMITH also of Townsend. They had six children, Baxter, Hannah, Harvey, Joseph L, Abel and Walter P.
Mr. HOBART was a Presbyterian clergyman in Massachusetts and was a chaplain in the Revolutionary war. He emigrated with his family of six children to the town of Potter in 1797, and settled on a farm where he died January 1, 1801. After coming to this county, he devoted himself mostly to the clearing and working of his farm, then in a wilderness state. He was also a surveyor of note, and surveyed several townships in the county of Cayuga, and was a man of prompt and decided action, and a strict observer of his religious creed and duties. His wife, Dolly, survived him about fifty years, and finally died in the family of her daughter, Mrs. LOOMIS, at Rushville in 1851. She was a most exemplary Christian, and strongly attached to the Congregational Church at Rushville, with which she had been associated from its organization. Left with a family of ten children in a new country, her burdens and responsibilities were great, but were borne with Christian fortitude; and she left her life record without a blemish.
William L., born at Townsend, in 1778, married Sally, daughter of Jonas WYAMAN in 1805 and in July following settled on the homestead farm, which he retained during his life, the farm on range four, lot 4, being then entirely new. He was a man of perseverance, deter mined will, and unyielding in the pursuit of whatever he undertook, yet without the least disposition to encroach upon the rights of others, when allowed to pursue the bent of his own judgment. He acquired a large estate, and left his family with a fair start in the world, with his example of stern honesty, perseverance and rigid economy to insure them a successful course in life. He was long a noted and successful cattle drover. His wife died in 1813, and he in 1865, aged 86 years. He married a second wife, Phebe, daughter of William HALL Sr., of Potter, in 1815. She was born in Massachusetts in 1794 and died in 1847. They had seven surviving children, Sally, Benjamin, Chester L., Almira L., Charles H., Hannah A. and Caroline H.
Mr. HOBART’S house was always the home of the itinerant minister, and he was open-handed to the church, though not a member, and kind to the poor and needy. The children by the first marriage who reached adult age were Lucinda and John Flagg.
Lucinda, born in 1806, married Benjamin Franklin THOMAS of Jerusalem, and settled in Potter. They had two surviving children, Richard F. and Sarah M. Richard F. married Mary HOSKIN of California, and they reside in Jerusalem. Their children are Herbert and Charles. Sarah married Peleg BRIGGS of Potter. Mr. THOMAS died, and his widow married for her second husband, Henry DECKER of Potter and resides there. They have one child, Phebe E. who married J. Franklin HOBART of Michigan and they reside in Potter and have one child, Richard A.
John F., born in 1808, married Ann Eliza THOMAS in 1831. She was a sister of B. Franklin THOMAS and daughter of David THOMAS. They settled in Potter, on the Joshua PARSONS farm, where she died in 1840, leaving four children, David L., Emily L., Franklin C. and Mary. He married for his second wife, Sarah H. THOMAS, sister of his first wife, in 1841. They have three surviving children, William L., Eliza A. and George H. The children of both of the above families are all married. David L., born in 1831, married Elizabeth, daughter of John E. WAGER of Middlesex, in 1861, and they have three children, Flora, John and an infant. Emily L. born in 1834, married James R. BORDWELL of Potter. Franklin C., born in1837, married Harriet, daughter of George G. WYAMAN in 1863 and they reside in that town. Mary C., born in 1839, married John W. CONLEY in 1863. They reside in Middlesex and have four children, Stewart J., Allen, Eliza and Laura. The children by the second wife were, William L, born in 1842, who married Abby WING of Michigan in 1869, and they reside there. Eliza A., born in 1843, married George HAWLEY of Potter, in 1866. George H. born in 1848, married Sarah, daughter of Samuel BASOM of Potter in 1870 and they reside in that town on the Orrin STEBBINS farm.
Sally born in 1815, married David R. CONLEY of Potter and died in 1851, leaving one child, William L., now a law student in Penn Yan.
Benjamin born in 1820, married Jane, daughter of Alexander SOUTHERLAND, and settled first in Potter and then in Italy, where she died, leaving one son, Byron F., who married Emma, daughter of James C. LONGWELL of Penn Yan. Mr. Benjamin HOBART died in 1852 at Panama, of cholera on his way to California.
Chester L., born in 1821, married Emeline CASEY of Potter, and they reside in Penn Yan. They have two children, Frank A. and William L.
Almira L., born in 1822, married in 1851, Leander W. LANE. They reside on and own the Abraham LANE homestead and have one child, Carrie M.
Charles H., born in 1825, married Polly, daughter of George WELLS and they reside in that town. They have two children, Byron C. and Jennie A.
Hannah A., born in 1828, married in 1851, Daniel ALLINGTON of Vanettenville, NY and resides on the HOBART homestead in Potter. They have one child, Frank J.
Caroline H., youngest child of William L. HOBART, born in 1832, married in 1853, Guy L. DOUBLEDAY, M.D., son of Dr. Elisha DOUBLEDAY of Italy Hill, where they settled and he died in December 1870, leaving his widow and three sons, Leander L., Floyd E. and Charles. Mrs. DOUBLEDAY now resides in Penn Yan with her family.
Nancy born in 1780 in Massachusetts, married Joshua PARSONS in the present town of Potter. They settled on the farm now owned by John F. HOBART in that town, where she died leaving three children, William, Louisa and Anna. MR. PARSONS died in Bristol, Ontario Co. William married Miss FRANCISCO, and they settled in Middlesex, where he died leaving one child. Louisa married Martin FLOWERS of Potter and settled in Italy, where they now reside. One of their children, Ann, married William SCOTT of Benton, where she died leaving two children.
John born in 1782, married Sally SADWICH of Hopeton. They settled in Middlesex where he died and his wife still lives. They had ten children who reached adult age, Albert, Adaline, Orville, Henry, Angeline, Emeline, Caroline, Sarah Ann, Cordelia and Lawrence. Albert married Mary BLODGET of Gorham. Adaline married Andrew VESCELIUS of Dresden. Henry married Minerva LOW of Middlesex. Angeline married Jacob BEERMAN of Rushville. Emeline married Mr. DWELLE of Potter. Caroline and Cordelia died single. Sarah Ann married Mr. VESCELIUS of Dresden. Lawrence married Mr. WEST. Orville is also married.
Israel born in 1785, married Patty, daughter
of Job CARD Sr., of Potter. They
resided for several years in that town and finally emigrated to Michigan, where
he died, leaving seven children, Alfred, Phebe, Martha, Mary, Job, Andrew J. and
Jabez Franklin. The widow is still
living and all of the family are west except Jabez F., who married Phebe E.
DECKER and resides in Potter. They
have one child, Richard A.
Baxter, born in 1790, married Eliza, sister of John POTTER. They settled on a farm near Yatesville in Potter where he now resides and where his wife died. They have five children, Leander, Nortpon P., Malin, Charles W. and Caroline. Leander is married and resides in Syracuse, NY, a Presbyterian Clergyman. They have one child, Julia. Norton P. married Laura STONE of Jerusalem and emigrated to Dry Prairie, Mich. She was a daughter of Asahel STONE Jr. Malin ins married and resides in Michigan. Caroline married Dr. William HURD and they reside in Union city, Mich. Charles W. married and resides in Iowa City, Iowa. Baxter HOBART’S second wife was Esther CLARK of Benton. They had four children, Mary, William L. Susan and Antoinette. Mary married John ARNOLD of Gorham. She is a widow. Antoinette married Azoph HOLCOMB and they reside at Dry Prairie, Mich. Susan is also married. William enlisted in the 126th NYV and was killed at the battle of Gettysburg, July 3, 1863
Hannah born in 1792, married Chester LOOMIS of Rushville.
Harvey, born in 1793, married Marana NORTON of East Bloomfield, where they settled and still reside. He was a painter and cabinet maker. Their family consisted of ten children, Elmira, William L., James, Oliver, Hiram, Henry, Charles, Edward, Mary and Florinda.
Joseph L., born in Potter in 1797, married Eleanor BOULONGEE in Jerusalem in 1819. She was born in Philadelphia in 1797. They settled on the old homestead farm, comprising parts of farm range second, lot 2 and range third, lot 2; according to a deed from Joseph LANDERS of Jerusalem, to William HOBART, which was duly acknowledged before Arnold POTTER , Esq., by Eliphalet NORRIS, subscribing witness, Sept 2, 1797, but was never recorded. They had seven children, Amelia L., Emily A., Cassandra, Frederic B., Francis, Melville W. and Melmouth. Amelia L., born in 1821, married Richard TAYLOR, a teacher at Penn Yan in 1839. She died in 1847, leaving two children, Cecelia, L. and Joseph A. Emily A., born in 1823, married Josephine (sic) BLOOMINGDALE of Benton, a teacher and settled in that town. They had six children, five of whom died in Benton in the year 1863. They emigrated to Sparta, Wisconsin, where they reside. Their surviving children are Jacob and Frederick. Cassandra, born in 1824, married Edward CHADWICK, a teacher in Starkey Seminary, in 1854. She died at Starkey in 1855. Frederick B., born in 1825, married Charlotte WEBB of Barrington. They reside in Penn Yan and have one child, Adelbert J. Frances born in 1830, married Rev. Daniel CLARK of Seneca county. He is a Methodist circuit preacher. They have two children, Hamlin and Wilbur. Melville W. and Melmouth F., twins, were born in 1833. Melville W. married Helen, daughter of John GLEASON. They reside on a part of the homestead farm and have three children, Harriet, Lulu and May. Melmouth F., married Hannah F. MATTHEWS of Chemung county in 1860. They reside in Penn Yan and have five children, Florence, Eleanor, Agnes, Olin and Mabel U.S.G.
Abel HOBART, born at Potter in 1799, married Marana STANLEY of Bloomfield, where they reside. They have several children. Two sons were in the late war of the Rebellion and died there, and another died after reaching home, from the effects of disease contracted in the service.
Walter P. HOBART born in 1800, married Amanda, daughter of Nathan LOOMIS of Rushville, in 1825. She died about 1833. His second wife was Rachel CLARK of Benton, whom he married in 1835. They had three children, Amanda, Jeanette and George. George married Adeliade DAVIS of Jerusalem in 1869. His third wife was Lorania RANDALL of Benton, whom he married in 1858. They have one child, Arthur and reside on a part of the old paternal homestead in Potter.
Deacon William HOLTON was born at Chansford, York Co., PA, in 1751 and married Mary LIEPER of that county. He died in Potter in 1832. She was born in 1754 and died in 1833. They emigrated to Augusta on lot 11, second range, in 1796 and settled on the farm where they died. In making the journey they traveled part of the way on wheels and part on runners, drawn by two yoke of oxen, coming by the route called “ The Wilderness”. Their children were, Francis, Janette, James, Samuel and Mary.
Francis, born in 1781, married Mary Ann LATHAM of Potter. They settled near Italy Hill, thence returning lived in Gorham, where she died, leaving four children, William, Silas, Lucy A. and Stephen. He married a second wife, Sally ELLIS and emigrated to Lima, Huron county, Ohio. By this marriage there were four children, Justin, James H. Samuel and Miles. Mr. HOLTON died at Lima in 1856.
Janette born in 1783, married Jacob LANE in Potter. They settled on the east side of Flint Creek, on the place now occupied by Warner COLE, where their five children were born, three of them at one birth. None of the triplet survives. The other children were William and Elizabeth. William married Sophia COLE and Elizabeth married John FRESHOUR.
James HOLTON was born in 1785 and died on the homestead in 1865. He married Rachel, daughter of Joseph H. WILLIAMS in 1821. She was born at Orange Massachusetts in 1799. They settled in Prattsburg, remained there eleven years and returned to the homestead in Potter, where he died and his widow still lives. They had eight children, Thomas S., Mary L., Minerva N., James H. Luther H., Samuel M., Charles M. and Janette L. Thomas S., born in 1821, married Lemirah H. SHINNER of Prattsburg and settled on the homestead, where he died leaving one child, Florence G. Mary L., born in 1825, resides on the homestead, unmarried. Minerva N., born in 1827, married Abiel THOMAS of Potter and they live in Rushville. James H., born in 1829, is unmarried and lives on the homestead. Luther H., born in 1831, married Sophia PACKER of Brattleboro, VT, and emigrated to Battle Creek, Michigan. Samuel M., born in 1836, married Mary A. CHAPMAN of Potter. He was a physician. They settled at Battle Creek, Mich. In 1861 he enlisted as a private in the Second Michigan Infantry, served three years, re-enlisted with the regiment, was promoted to Surgeon and served to the end of the war. Charles M., born in 1838, married in 1864, Mary E. THISLER of Constantine, Mich. They live on a part of the homestead in Potter and have one child, James W. He was reading law at Battle Creek, Mich. In 1862 when he enlisted in the 7th Michigan Cavalry. He served one year and a half in the ranks, and by promotion became first Lieutenant. After the close of the war, he was ordered to the plains in Kansas to suppress Indian hostilities, and was mustered out of the service in June 1865. He was with the Army of the Potomac, and participated in its hardest struggles with bravery and efficiency.
Jannette L, born in 1840, married Theodore M. JOSLYN of Detroit in 1867. They have one child, Theodore L.
Samuel born in 1787, resided on the homestead with his brother and never married. He died in 1869
Mary born in 1791, married Daniel MORSE of Gorham, where they settled and he died, leaving five sons, Franklin, Harvey, William, George W. and Daniel. She moved with her family to Lima, Ohio.
Deacon William HOLTON, the head of this family, was in the war of the Revolution, and carried a musket, now in the family of William HOLTON of Lima, Ohio, with which he was at the battles of Brandywine and Trenton. He was early attached to the Presbyterian Church, was one of the founders of the Society at Rushville, and one of its deacons to the time of his death.
Samuel S. HOYT of Ridgefield, CT, married Sally OLMSTEAD of the same place. With their oldest son, Charles S., then tow years old, they settled in Owasco, Cayuga Co., where most of their family were born and grew up. In 1836 they moved to Middlesex, and afterwards to Potter. Their children were, Charles S., Chauncey O., William O. and Mortimer J. The father died at Potter Center in 1869, at the age of 70 years. His widow still survives.
Charles S. HOYT born in 1822, is by profession a physician. He practiced several years at Potter Center. Subsequently he was a merchant and produce dealer. In 1862 he enlisted in the 126th NYV and was appointed assistant Surgeon. He served till the end of the war and was promoted to the rank of Surgeon in the 39th NYV, known as the “Garibaldis”. Throughout the war he was noted for his warm interest in and kind regard for the soldiers, especially those suffering form wounds or other ailments. He was a Member of Assembly representing Yates County in 1852 and was again a Member in 1867. In 1868 he was made Secretary of the Board of Public Charities of the State and still holds the office, residing at Albany. In all official positions he has acquitted himself with ability and efficiency. In 1866 he married Dora BARNUM of Lima, NY. They have one child, Mary Agnes.
Chauncey O., married Electa PORTER. They now reside near Eaton Rapids, Mich. Their children are Arthur, Eulalie and Jennie.
William O. married Mary, daughter of Joseph L. GREEN, of Italy. They live at Saline, Mich., and their children are Charles and Catharine.
Mortimer J. is single, residing at Potter Center.
Lewis HOYT, a brother of Samuel S., moved to this county shortly before him and settled in the same neighborhood in Middlesex. His wife was Deborah KEELER of Ridgeford, CT. Both died in Middlesex. He was a highly respected citizen. Their children were Lorenzo, Ruth and Edward.
Lorenzo married Hannah BARNUM of CT. she died in Middlesex leaving three children, Edmund, Mary and Ruth. Edmund married and resides at Naples. Mary married Isaac PAGE and resides in Michigan. Ruth is also married and resides in Michigan. Lorenzo HOYT married a second wife, Lydia, daughter of Elias CROSS, an early resident of Potter. They had a daughter, Hannah, who married Edward HARKNESS, a son of Dr. Forest HARKNESS. They settled at Grass Lake, Michigan, where here father also emigrated in 1868.
Ruth married William C. PECK of Middlesex. Their children are Edward and Elizabeth.
Edward married Violette BEALS of Naples. They finally emigrated to Michigan. They have several children.
George HUNT was born in North Kingston, RI, in 1793 and his wife, Harriet ROSS born in 1797, was a native of Connecticut. They settled on lot 1, range three in 1820, where they resided many years, and have more recently resided in Jerusalem on the Potter line, adjoining lot 1, of the second range, where they still live. They have one son, Elnathan R., who married Sarah, daughter of Daniel G. WEARE. Elnathan R. HUNT, born in Windham Co., VT in 1817, was the original setter on his farm on lot 1, second range, and has led a very industrious life. Their children are: Charles G., Harriett L., and G. Gordon. Charles G. married Mary, daughter of Peleg GARDNER. They have two children, Daisy and Gardner.
Harriet L. married James TAYLOR, son of Alvah TAYLOR. They reside on his paternal homestead in Benton.
George G. HUNT emigrated to Crossville, East Tennessee and there married Matilda DETHERIDGE.
Peter LAMOREAUX was born in Orange Co., in 1795, came to this country with his step-father, Abraham FLORENCE, in 1807. He married Phebe A., daughter of Thomas REYNOLDS. She was born in Middlesex in 1817. They settled on lot 8 of the fifth farm range, where they still reside. Their children are Martha J., Andrew T., Phebe A., Sarah E., Peter R., Elizabeth and Charles F.
Mr. LAMOREAUX is quite familiar with the early settlement of Potter, and all its subsequent progress. The changes of its surface and population have been carefully noted by him. He did some volunteer service in the War of 1812, and was Captain of one of the artillery companies in the old militia service. In politics a Jeffersonian, he had voted at every Presidential election from that of Monroe in 1816, to that of Grant in 1868. He remembers attending a great meeting at Canandaigua to ratify the Embargo Act. An ox was roasted and there was a great display of the military.
Abraham LANE was born in New Jersey, near New Brunswick in 1760, and died at Potter in 1838. He married Rachel WILSON in New Jersey. She was born in 1759 and died in 1849. They came to this county in an early day to what is now Milo, and settled on a farm one half-mile south of Himrod’s Corners. Thence in 1795 they moved to the farm in Augusta, one mile west of the Potter farm, on lot 3, second range, where they lived and died. Their family consisted of eight children, John, Joseph, Mary, Jacob, Hannah, Isaac, Abraham and Rachel.
John married Jane ROBINSON. They emigrated to Bartholomew Co., Indiana, in 1816, where they died leaving a large family of children.
Joseph married Anna ANDRIDGE, sister of Potter G. CARD’S wife. They also emigrated to Indiana, where he was drowned in 1816.
Mary married Guy GUERNSEY of Middlesex. They emigrated to Clark Co., Indiana in 1816, and died there leaving three or four children.
Jacob married Polly Guernsey of Potter. They emigrated to Indianan in 1816 and there both died, leaving several children.
Hannah married Thomas ROBINSON. They settled on a farm in Potter where both died, he in 1825 and she in 1868. They there reared their family of six children, Rachel, Abraham L., James C.B., Diana, Joel and Polly. Abraham L. married Anna, daughter of William HALL. He settled in Italy on lot 12, northeast survey, where he still resides. They have a large family, most of whom are married and well settled in life. He is a worthy and useful citizen.
James C.B. married Anna WELLS of Potter. They moved to Middlesex. He enlisted in the Union army in 1864 and died in a hospital, after being engaged in the battles of the Wilderness. They had one surviving child, Hannah, who married Lawrence MC COMBER and lives with her mother on the homestead. Mr. MC COMBER enlisted in the late war and served till its close. Diana lives on the family homestead, unmarried. Joel married a widow HERRINGTON and now resides on a farm next west of the POTTER farm, north of the road to Potter Center. He spent some years in California, where he was quite successful.
Isaac Lane, the fourth son, born on the homestead in Potter, Feb 23, 1795, married Priscilla WILLSON at Potter, March 1, 1821. She was born in Franklin Co., Mass in 1798. They settled on the farm in Potter where they now live, on west lot 9, and east lot 10, range one. Isaac LANE in now believed to be the oldest person born in the county and still residing within its boundaries. His recollections go back to the time when the original forest covered nearly all the county. He is till a well preserved man, and has long been a leading citizen of Potter. Mr. LANE has filled the offices of the town in various capacities and for many years was Justice of the Peace and Supervisor. They have two sons, Leander W. and Isaac M. Leander W. married Elmira L., daughter of William L. HOBART, and resides on part of his father’s homestead. They have one child, Carrie m. Isaac M. married Mary E. RUGAR of Penn Yan and they reside on a part of his father’s homestead. They have two children, Hattie M. and James M.
Abraham Jr., born in 1797, married Betsey STUFFEBEAM of Genesee county. She was born in Pennsylvania in 1798. They settled and lived on the old homestead in Potter for many years and now reside at Potter Center. They have one surviving child, Jacob, who lives at Lima and who married Mariba BATES of that place.
Rachel born in 1800, married George WELLS in
1821. he was from Bridgeport, CT.
They first settled on a part of the old LANE homestead, then on the farm
and mill property on lot 2 of the second farm range. They have since owned and
resided on the WILLIAMS place. Mrs.
WELLS died in 1871. by industry and
economy they accumulated a good estate. Their
children were Elizabeth, Joseph, Isaac, John, Rachel G. Riley, Mary J., Emeline,
Caroline, Thomas F., Susan E. and Sarah E. (twins), Ellen V. and Charles.
Elizabeth married Marcus HARWOOD. They
reside in Steuben Co. Joseph
married Hannah BRIGGS and died in Potter. Isaac
married Violette TORREY and resides in Potter.
John died single in California, leaving a considerable estate.
Rachel was the first wife of William H. UNDERWOOD.
George Riley married Sophia, daughter of Jesse DAVIS of Jerusalem, and
has resided many years in California, near Stockton. Mary J. married Charles H.
HOBART, son of William L. HOBART. Emeline
married Augustus GOODHEART in California and died there leaving a son, John.
Caroline married Sanford D. STOEBRIDGE of Potter.
Thomas F. is single, residing on the homestead.
Susan E. married Jeremiah BARBER, son of Culver S. BARBER.
Sarah E. married Benjamin UNDERWOOD.
Ellen V. married William H. BAGGERLY.
They reside in Benton. Charles,
born in 1844, married Ellen DENSMORE, and resides on the homestead.
One of the earliest settlers in the vicinity of Rushville was Nathan LOOMIS, who was born in Ashford, CT in 1762, and married Dorcas PRATT of Halifax, VT in 1785. They lived a few years at Whitestown and moved with an ox sled to Augusta in 1793. He bought the land located by surveyor ALLEN and resided thereon the remainder of his days. He was a man of consideration among the people and lived to the advanced aged of 88 years. His wife died at 91 years. Their children were Chester, Lucy P. James, Sally, Elisha, Amanda, Minerva and Benjamin.
Chester LOOMIS, born in 1789, is familiar with all the early history of the country, and especially with the rise and progress of Rushville. He remembers the Indian wigwams along the West River, and the venomous rattlesnakes which were numerous and much dreaded. A younger brother following his father and brother to the “clearing” was bitten by one, and finally died from the effects of the virus.
In those early days rougher views and less amenity of manners prevailed than have succeeded the pioneer times. Among the reminiscences recalled by Chester LOOMIS, is that of a pugilistic contest between Edward CRAFT and George BROWN to fight, and the day of military training was fixed for the combat. So much interest was excited that the military exercises were closed early. The fight took place on the premises of Jabez FRENCH, who was captain of the train-band. Umpires were chosen and a ring formed. The fight was a stand up pummeling by fists, no blows above the shoulder nor below the waist, and to end in fifteen minutes. After the exchange of a few blows, CRAFT’S thumb was dislocated and time was given him to adjust it, when the fight was continued till the time was up, without an admitted victory for either side, though CRAFT remarked that “BROWN struck like thunder.” CRAFT was disabled for weeks and BROWN but slightly damaged. CRAFT was the lighter and younger man. It was a contest offer referred to, and never forgotten by the parties or the spectators.
Enjoying but slender educational advantages, Chester LOOMIS prevailed on his father to permit him to earn for himself the means whereby he could attend a school at Peterboro, NY. He shouldered an ax, traveled to Canandaigua; and after some trouble, found a job, and saved four dollars in four weeks, by chopping cord wood. To this fund his father added twenty schillings. He at once set off on foot for Peterboro. It was not easy to find a place where he could pay a part of his board by his labor, but by the aid of his teacher, he did; and in the spring hired to Peter SMITH for eight dollars a month and board, his work with two others to chop and score timber for two hewers. In six months he paid his school and board bill, and again entered the school. The following summer he worked for a farmer again and earned the means to discharge all his depts. At the school he was surpassed in scholarship only by Gerritt SMITH (son of Peter) and one other lad. Coming back to Canandaigua he became a clerk for Thomas BEALS. Subsequently he became a merchant in Rushville and there has passed his life a highly esteemed and influential citizen, his residence being on the Ontario side of the county line. He was an Associate Judge on the Ontario bench many years, and represented the old seventh district four years in the State Senate, to which he was elected in 1834. He was the first Postmaster at Rushville and held the office from 1818 to 1841.
Judge LOOMIS married in 1815, Harriet, daughter of Rev. William HOBART. She was born in 1791 and died in 1865. Their children were, Charles A., Amanda D. and Frank C.
Charles A. LOOMIS was educated a lawyer, studying with John C. SPENCER and Jared WILSON at Canandaigua, where he was a cotemporary student with Stephen A. DOUGLASS. LOOMIS established himself at St. Clair, Mich., and DOUGLASS went to Illinois. Mr. LOOMIS soon became State Senator and enjoyed a brilliant reputation, but declining health induced him to retire from political life. Remaining still in private live and a bachelor, he enjoys his library and his farm at St. Clair, a man of culture, of great oratorical ability and encyclopedic acquirements. For the past few years he has lived in Paris.
Lucy P. LOOMIS born in 1791, married Augustus BLODGETT of Gorham. They emigrated to the vicinity of Milwaukee where she recently died leaving two children, Caroline and Chester.
James LOOMIS born in 1793, married Sarah, daughter of J. H. WILLIAMS of Rushville. The emigrated to Ypsilanti, Mich., where she recently died and he still resides. Their children were: Maria, Minerva, Sarah, Elisha, Cornelia, Dwight and James.
Sally LOOMIS born in 1795, married Oren GREEN. They settled at Pines Corners in West River Valley, and there made excellent and substantial improvements, which gave character to the place, afterwards owned by Daniel B. LIINDSLEY. He lost his life in 1841 in the burning of the Steamer “Erie”, on Lake Erie. His body was recovered a month later with $3,000 in money and vouchers. He was a deeply religious and conscientious man, and a pillar in the Congregational church at Rushville. Together with Capt. Henry GREEN, he was a purchaser of the Green Tract in Jerusalem. Some years after his death, his wife removed to the vicinity of Milwaukee, where she resides, giving her time and means to adopted heirs and benevolent objects.
Elisha LOOMIS born in 1800, married Maria, sister of Dr. Henry P. SARTWELL. He served an apprenticeship as a Printer, under James D. BEMIS at Canandaigua, and soon after became a teacher and printer in the employ of the American Board of Foreign Missions. Miss SARTWELL was recommended to him as a suitable wife, and he immediately began a correspondence with her which resulted in their marriage at their first interview, while on his way to take passage for the Sandwich Islands. They remained at Honolulu nine years, mastered the language, acted as teachers, and made respectable progress in printing the language. By the failure of his health, they were obliged to return with four children, the oldest being the first white child born there. He afterwards conducted a few years the Rochester Christian Observer, and died in 1837. His wife and children moved to Ypsilanti, Mich., and she died there in 1862. She was a woman of sterling character and nobly endowed for the position she occupied. Their children were: Levi S., Amanda, Albert S. Jeremiah E. and John H. They are intelligent and worthy citizens of the west.
A native boy brought by Mr. LOOMIS from the Sandwich Islands, to be educated for missionary labor, named Kopuloo, was an intelligent and prepossessing specimen of the Malay race. He was short with a broad chest and great physical strength, and could perform great fears in swimming, an exercise in which he especially delighted. In school at Rochester, he progressed rapidly in education and acquired the art of Printing. He contracted a fever and died at Rochester.
Amanda married Walter P. HOBART of Potter. Minerva married Thomas J. NEVINS. He practiced law in Penn Yan, where she died leaving one son, Oren G., who resides in Wisconsin. The father met an accidental death in California. He was a man of great excellence of character and devoted much of his life to the advancement of education and religion.
Benjamin died of consumption at 23 years. He was a young man of much intellectual promise.
Judge Chester LOOMIS attended the first school in the vicinity of Rushville. It was kept at the house of Deacon John BLAIR and William BASSETT was the teacher.
Calvin LOOMIS was a cousin of Nathan LOOMIS, and came with him from Connecticut to Whitesboro and thence to what is now Potter. He lived many years on the Dr. Buffam HARKNESS place. There his first wife, whose maiden name was MOORE, died leaving four children: Stephen, Laura, Norman and Maria. In 1810 he married a second wife, Mrs. Alice, widow of Beza WHITMAN, a woman of extraordinary energy, with wonderful health and physical vigor. She most unselfishly devoted herself to all who needed assistance. By this marriage, three children were born, Erastus, who died young, Oren G. and Luther.
Stephen married Lucy PRATT of Vermont, and owned a farm may years near Rushville, which he sold in 1842, and moved to Michigan where he and his wife died. Their children were Esther, Maria and Caroline.
Laura married Peter SIMMONS who owned and occupied the farm now owned by Hiram KEENEY on lot one of the seventh range. After her death, Mr. SIMMONS married Maria and they had one son, Calvin, now living near Ann Arbor, Mich.
Norman never married. He was an eccentric character, a close student and a great lover of books. He lived a blameless live and died regretted by all.
Oren G. LOOMIS, born at Rushville, in 1814, was educated in the schools of that place, and married in 1834, Nancy E., daughter of Dr. Gail NICHOLS, of Chittenden Co,, VT, whose brother, Dr. Asher NICHOLS was long and favorably know as a physician near Rushville, living on the farm where Moses WATKINS now lives. Dr. NICHOLS had three sons, E. Darwin, Asher P. (now comptroller of the State) and Dr. Henry W. NICHOLS of Rushville, who was a Staff Surgeon of one of the corps of Gen. SHEARMAN, in his grand march to the sea. Asher and Gail NCIHOLS married, the first Lucy, and the second, Urania, sisters of Moses WISEWELL, long and favorably known as an active and useful citizen of Rushville. They were aunts of John WISEWELL.
Oren G. LOOMIS soon after his marriage exchanged with his parents the old homestead at Rushville for a farm in Middlesex, on which he resided 25 years. His father died there in 1840, at the age of 73 years and his mother survived several years longer. He has been a man of prominence in Middlesex, holding office frequently in the town. In 1863 he was elected to the Assembly. For a few years past he has had the management of a large lumbering and farming business, for a New York firm, on the Big Kanahwa river in Mason Co., West Virginia. Hi is a man of decided views, superior intelligence and good principles. Their children are: Eveline N., Luther, Alice. Lavina A., Sarah M., Mary A. and N. Elona. Eveline N. married Thomas GLOVER of Wayland NY. Luther married Jane, daughter of Ephraim LORD and lives in Mason Co. West VA.. Alice married Stephen A. UNDERWOOD and resides on the farm of her father in Middlesex. Lavina A. married George ROBINSON of Barrington and lives in that town. Sarah M. and Mary A. are highly successful teacher, for three years past employed In the graded school at Mason City, West VA.
Luther, youngest son of Calvin LOOMIS, was remarkable for educational attainments far beyond his years. He could read well when three years old, and continued to make very rapid advancement. Before he was 17 years old, he was employed by a New York firm, to travel as a salesman of Agricultural implements, and served them with entire acceptability. In his 19th year he fell into consumption and died in 1833, at the age of 21 years, leaving a spotless character.
Benoni MOON and Hannah REYNOLD, his second wife, moved into Potter from Stephentown, Rensselaer Co., in 1800. They settled on a farm now owned by John A. CADMUS, on lot 9, farm range three. He died in 1810, by falling from a stack of corn stalks, leaving a large family. Of their children, Robert married and moved elsewhere; Jonathan married Phebe Nichols; Benoni married a daughter of Robert MC NAIR of Middlesex; Augustus married Olive, daughter of George CLARK; Warner died filling the first grave in the neighborhood.
Hannah married John, brother of George CLARK, and moved to Ohio. Thus far they were the children of the first marriage. Of the second, Reynolds married Nancy, daughter of Russel BRIGGS. They moved to Mishawaka, In., in 1834; their children were: Hannah who married Benoni HOARD; Nelson who marred Betsey HOARD, both children of James HOARD of Potter, William and Mary.
Gideon MOON married Azuba, daughter of George CLARK and moved to the vicinity of Jamestown, NY. William married Miss GREEN and settled in Allegany Co. Damy married James D. WOOD. They had a large family and emigrated west. Amy married a Mr. BENJAMIN and moved to Allegany Co. Wanton married Barbery, daughter of Russel BRIGGS. They had two children, a son, Russel and a daughter. He had a second wife and moved to Michigan.
The MOON family from 1800 to 1810 were so numerous in a neighborhood two miles in extent, along the west side of Flint Creek, immediately north of Potter Center, that it was designated Moontown. Afterwards, it was called Hoardtown.
Alexander PARKMAN was born in or near Boston in 1773. He came while a lad with his father to Westmoreland, Oneida Co., and thence to Aurelius, Cayuga Co. At the latter place he married Lydia PARKER of Connecticut. She was born in 1772. They settled in 1812, one mile and a half, east of Rushville, where they lived many years. Their children were: Erastus L., Sophia, Delanson E. and Cynthia D. Erastus L. moved to Ohio and there married a widow REDDOUT, formerly of Potter. He died leaving five children.
Sophia born in 1803, married Robert GREEN of Gorham. They lived in Rushville where he died leaving three daughters, Philomela, Arzelia S. and Frances H. Philomela married Ephraim C. MOWER of Rushville. Arzelia S. married Orlin E. BLODGETT of Gorham. They lived on a farm near Rushville and have eight sons and two daughters. Frances H. married Myron F. WARFIELD and settled at Prattsburg. They have one child.
Alanson E., born in 1807, married Rebeca JAMES of Potter. They settled on the old homestead and had seven children. They moved with his parents to Ridgway, Orleans Co.
Cynthia D., born in 1810, is the wife of Alexander BASSETT.
Rows PERRY born in Charlestown, Rhode Island, in 1764, left his home at 21 , for what was then the distant west. He was a lineal descendant of Edward PERRY, a Quaker preacher who left England in the 17th century, and experienced persecution for opinion’s sake, at the hands of the New England Puritans. A volume of his sermons is still preserved. Commodore Oliver H. PERRY was a scion of the same family. Capt. Rows PERRY stopped two years at Whitestown, clearing land by contract, afterwards boiled salt at Salina, in a primitive manner on his own accord. In the spring of 1791, he engaged in work by the month for William and Arnold POTTER, receiving pay in land at fifty cents an acre. The next winter he boiled salt again, and became acquainted with Nathan LOOMIS and Solomon BLODGETT, who were afterwards, his neighbors. In the spring he bought at Whitestown a yoke of steers. To get them across the Cayuga Ferry, he was obliged to give the ferryman his note for eighteen pence. It was some years after that he paid the note with interest. His next work was to erect a log cabin and proceed to live on his own land, and upwards of two years he lived alone performing his own housekeeping as well as his outdoor labor. His rifle aided much in procuring his food from the plentiful supply of game that abounded in the forests. He planted corn and potatoes the first year and by an occasional day’s work at the POTTER farm, obtained wheat, which he bore on his back to the Friend’s Mill and home again. One such journey found him lost in the woods, and obliged to camp out overnight in the midst of a terrific storm in March. Finally, in August 1794, there was a wedding at the POTTER house, and Rows PERRY and Desiah BROWN became man and wife. Desiah was a sister of Mrs. Arnold POTTER, and a daughter of Benjamin BROWN Sr. She was born in Groton, CT in 1769. Capt PERRY bore his bride home on horseback, following the Indian trail, both riding his mare; a wedding tour, no doubt as happy as may in later days that have been more extended and expensive. It was his delight to relate that his courtship and marriage had begun and reached a consummation in one afternoon and evening visit at the POTTER house; but his wife never failed to ad that he had often appeared there rigged in his best on Sunday afternoons, making pretense of important business and always finding occasion to report to her the story of his lonely lot.
With the advent of a wife to his cabin, his half of a hollow log used for a sleeping bunk was replaced by a bedstead, and his wolf and bear skin coverlets, by the tidy handiwork of woman. His abode soon more a more civilized and refined appearance. They soon progressed in competency, and in a few years, enjoyed many comforts and luxuries. Their abode was the home of social enjoyment, and the sure refuge of the early immigrant. It was also often the place of holding town meetings and elections, and the worthy couple during their long lives stood as pleasant landmarks of the pioneer days. Both died at a ripe old age, he in 1853 at the age of 89 years, and she in 1854, at 85 years.
Their children were: Susan, Edmund, Rowland B., Fanny, Edward, and Sally (twins), Benjamin, Ann, Robert and Mariette. Susan and Sally died early. Edmund married Virture, daughter of Abiel THOMAS. They resided many years in the town and had a large family. They finally emigrated to Austerlitz, Mich., where they now reside. Their children were: Rows, Frank, Olive, Peleg, Sarah and Mary (twins), and Levi. Olive married Mr. SUTTON of Benton. Frank married Maria BARBER of Potter. Peleg married Miss HURD of Gorham. Sarah married Abel VERRY of Lima, NY. They now live at Coldwater, Mich. Mary married Thomas MC DONALD and moved to Michigan, where she died. Louisa married a Mr. ROSEKRANS. Rowland B. PERRY, married Jane, daughter of Elisha WOODWORTH of Benton. They emigrated to Grand Blanc, Mich. They too had a large family. He was killed by an infuriate bull. His wife retains the farm they first settled in the wilderness, now a beautiful homestead.
Fanny married Daniel B. WAKEFIELD of Otsego Co., where he was born in 1806. He was a teacher in the old Penn Yan Academy, under Seymour GOOKINS. They finally emigrated to Grand Blanc, locating on a farm. He became a conspicuous public man and served in the Assembly and Senate of Michigan. He was the author of the school system of the State, and was admitted to the bar and became a judge of the courts. He was a candidate for Congress when he died in 1844. He was a man of high qualities of head and heard and was rapidly advancing in public estimation. He left three daughters who reside with their mother at Clifton Springs, NY. (per the 1870 Manchester, NY census, she is Fanny BROWN, aged 68y, with daughters: Susan WAKEFIELD, 40, Emma WAKEFIELD, 35 and Marretta WAKEFIELD, 28., Fanny also on 1880 Manchester census)
Edward married Harriet, daughter of Elisha WOODWORTH. They settled near and east of Bare Hill, adjoining a tract of Bare Hill, purchased by his father and John COLLINS, known as the Bare Hill Tract. He had aided from boyhood, in clearing and tiling the farm where he settled. He subsequently erected his mansion on the east end of the place to which he added many acres. He has more recently resided in Rushville, and is interested in the grape culture in Vine Valley. Their children were: Woodworth N., Jane S., Caroline D. and Mary C. Woodworth N., born in 1830, married Jane LUTHER of Syracuse. They have three sons, Deroy L., Arthur W., and Edward W. (1870 census has Woodworth married to a Mary C. LUTHER) Jane S. married Nelson SNELL of Montgomery Co. They live at Rochester and have two children, Edward P. and Harriet M. Caroline D. married Dr. Fisk H. DAY of Rushville and died soon after. Mary was the first wife of Samuel H. TORREY, late of Naples and died in 1869. Woodworn N. PERRY owns and occupies the paternal homestead, and is one of the most enlightened and enterprising farmers of the county, noted for the culture of thoroughbred stock.
Ann married Martin PERRY of Lebanon, NY, and emigrated to the State of Missouri.
Benjamin married Sarah BRECK, (widow) daughter of Horace HOWELL of Rushville. They reside near Rushville and have six children, Frederic, Caroline, Emma, Mariette, Robert and Inez. Frederic enlisted at 16 years, served under Gen. SHEARMAN in his march to the sea and was honorably discharged at the end of the war.
Robert, youngest son of Rows PERRY, married Sarah SEABOLT of Springport. They resided on the old family homestead of Rows PERRY, on lot 10, of the fourth farm range. Both died in middle life, after making solid improvements and erected a fine dwelling on the place. He died in 1852 and she in 1856, leaving two sons, William R. and Charles H. The sons were both soldiers of the 26th Independent NY Battery, under Capt. FOX. They served at the siege of Mobile, and at various other points, receiving an honorable discharge after the war. They are now farmers in Vine Valley. (1870 & 1880 census William R. is married to an Alice V.)
Mariette is the wife of Azariah C. YOUNGLOVE, a noted grape and fruit culturist of Vine Valley.
Capt. Rows PERRY drew his first wheat to the Bates Mill on the Canandaigua outlet, where he sold it for two and six pence per bushel. He and his neighbor, John CRAFT, at an early day carried each a grist on their shoulders, following Indian trails to the Lake and crossing to Seneca Point in Bristol, where Mr. WILDER had erected a mill. On their return they lost their path, bewildered by a violent storm and laid town their grists. They kept themselves awake all night by traveling around in a circle, and in the morning found themselves but a half a mile from home.
Mrs. PERRY was an admirable housekeeper, with ready tack resource that obviated many of the deficiencies of pioneer days. Before an apple was known in the country, she had a way of making apple pies, which many pronounced genuine and excellent, the receipt for which was stewed pumpkin, maple sugar and vinegar, baked in a crust made “short” with bear grease and “light” with cob ashes.
William POTTER was born at South Kingston, Rhode Island in 1722, and at the age of 28 years, married Penelope, daughter of Col. Thomas HAZARD, also born at South Kingston in 1731. Mr. POTTER inherited a large landed estate and was otherwise wealthy. He was a Senator in the Colonial Legislature and in 1775 was elected by the Legislature Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas in Washington Co., which office he held by successive re-elections until 1780 when he resigned. About this time he became an enthusiastic and devoted disciple of the Universal Friend. For her accommodation he built a large addition to his spacious mansion, and she made his abode her headquarters for six years; having abundant rooms of the entertainment of her friends, and control of servants and means according to her wishes. Judge POTTER accompanied her in may of her religious expeditions, usually riding beside her on horseback while others of the company followed tow by two constituting a solemn and impressive procession. He continued a substantial and efficient adherent of the Friend and her faith until shortly after their settlement near Seneca Lake, when a schism occurred which separated both himself and James PARKER from the Friend and her Society.
Judge POTTER was by far the most wealthy
adherent of the Friend, and the Friend’s Tract of 14,040 acres on Seneca Lake,
finally reverted largely to him, on the breaking up of the original compact, and
became known as the Potter Location. It
appears that his estate became largely involved by the expenses incident to his
adhesion to the Friend, and the emigration of his family to the New Jerusalem.
In the early period of the Friend’s Settlement he and his family
resided not far west of Norris Landing. He
afterwards returned to Rhode Island, and finally in 1807, sold his estate
already heavily mortgaged there, and afterwards resided with his son, Arnold,
whom he survived. He lived to the
age of 92 years, and died suddenly while returning from a visit to his son in
law, George BROWN in Jerusalem. Their
children were Mercy, Thomas H., Alice, Susan, William Robinson, Benedict Arnold,
Penelope, William Pitt, Edward, Simeon and Sarah.
Marcy, born in 1751, married Jonathan PERRY Sr. in Rhode Island, where he died leaving three children, Jonathan, Susanna and Anna. The mother afterwards lived in the family of George BROWN. Jonathan married Theda, daughter of George BROWN. They settled south of Dresden near the Lake. Their children were Harriet, Theda, Asa, John and Jane. Susanna and Ann married but did not stay in this county.
Thomas Hazard POTTER born in 1753, married
patience WILKINSON, sister of the Friend, and settled in 1790 on the farm
afterwards owned by his son John and now by his grandson, Jephtha A. POTTER, on
lot 2 of the first farm range in the town of Potter.
He died there in 1807 and his wife in 1819. Their children were Susan, Eliza and John.
Susan married Job BRIGGS of Potter.
They lived some years in that town on lot 2, of the first range, and
emigrated many years since to Michigan. Eliza
married Baxter HOBART. John born in
1782 married in 1808, his cousin Nancy, daughter of Jephtha WILKINSON, youngest
brother of the Friend. She was born
in 1786. Her father came to the
Genesee country previous to its purchase, and explored much of the Lake region
by the guidance of the Indians, and mapped and described the country. It is supposed that his account of the land induced its
further exploration and the settlement by the Friends.
He died a physician in New York during the prevalence of the plague in
1803. In thus appears that John and
Nancy POTTER were both the immediate offspring of the WILKINSON family, he by
his mother and she by her father. Her
mother was Lucy, a sister of Richard SMITH of the Friend’s Society and lived
to nearly 96 years and died in 1847.
Mrs. John POTTER who is still living, relates that she was married at the house of Elijah MALIN by George GREEN, a Justice of the Peace, and the house since occupied by her family and her son Jepthta, was raised the next day, but owing to lack of means, was not finished till ten years had passed away. It was enclosed and they moved into a log house and struggled with hard times till they paid for their farm of 386 acres. Her husband was drafted in the War of 1812, and sent a substitute. She braided straw hats and ladies’ bonnets for which she could get store trade, but very little money. Sometimes her braiding would be worth $180 in a single season. Bonnets would bring from five to seven dollars, and gentlemen’s hats, two dollars. She states that when she first lived on this place, the only road through the valley was an Indian trail, and the wolves would sometimes howl till her hair would almost stand on end. John POTTER died in 1855 at the age of 72 years.
Their children were: Eliza, Hazard A., Jephtha A., John W., William, Alvira A., and Edward P. Eliza, born in 1809 was the wife of John GLEASON. They resided near the homestead where she died leaving two daughters, Harriet and Helen. Harriet is the second wife of Peleg GARDNER and Helen married Melville HOBART of Potter.
Dr. Hazard A. POTTER born in 1810, became eminent in the annals of medicine and surgery. He attend the common schools of his neighborhood and engaged in farm labors till he was 19 years old. At that time by a neglected sprain, he was obliged to suffer the amputation of a leg. The operation was performed by Dr Joshua LEE. The young man displayed great fortitude holding his own limb and giving directions with great self-command and coolness while the attendants fainted or retired. He immediately resolved to become a physician and as soon as he was able, attended the Penn Yan Academy, then under Gookins, Wakefield and Richard Taylor. He studied medicine one year under Dr. Francis M. POTTER and the next under Dr. Barret N. WISNER. Another year he spent in study with Dr. Hiram ALLEN of Woonsocket Falls, RI, and there entered Bowdoin Medical College, where he remained through a course of lectures, succeeded by a course at Darmouth Medical College and another at the Medical Department at Harvard University. He finally graduated at Bowdoin in 1835. Soon after he married Louisa S., daughter of Ziba BALLOU of Cumberland, RI. She was the youngest of fourteen children, her mother being 49 at the time of her birth in 1817. Her grandfather, Noah BALLOU, a Baptist clergyman, preached in an old wooden church, built at so early a day in Rhode Island that the whole structure, including the seats, was of hewn or split timer. Hosea BALLOU, the noted Universalist of Boston, was a cousin of Mrs. POTTER’S father. The family is one of note for longevity and strong mental and physical characteristics.
After his marriage, Dr. POTTER commenced practice at Cumberland Hill, RI, but shortly returned to Yatesville, from the old homestead entered at once upon an extended ride. Remarkable success attended his practice and several cases of note soon gave him a conspicuous reputation for skill and success in both medicine and surgery. He was a self-reliant, original and intuitive physician, and eclipsed all his compeers by daring to do what others had not dreamed of, and by his almost unbroken success in all his departures form the beaten track. The medical publications of his time contain many tributes to his skill and details showing the valuable contributions made by him to medical science. His knowledge of the human system was masterly, and his triumphs, especially in surgery, were many of them startling, affording proof of great originality of mind. Appleton’s New Cyclopedia gives a handsome professional sketch of his most brilliant exploits as a surgeon. The reader is referred to the medical works for a more specific and technical account of his successes with the scalpel, and also in the common sphere of medical practice. There is no doubt he is entitled to rank among the most illustrious of his profession. In 1853 he moved to Geneva. He served two years and upwards in the army during the rebellion, as a surgeon. He died at Geneva in December 1869. His wife to whom he owes much of his success in life, survives him. Their children were: Ziba H., Nannie L., and Louisa.
Ziba Hazard POTTER was born in Potter in 1836. He graduated at Hobart College in 1857 and at the Geneva Medical College in 1867. He served four years as a surgeon in the army, during and since the Rebellion, and is now Professor of Mathematics in Cornell University. He is a man of broad culture and comprehensive mind. Nannie L., born in 1839, married Dr. Reynald H. TOWLER, son of Prof. TOWLER of Hobart College. He was surgeon-in-chief of the garrison at Washington on Gen. DENT’S staff during the war. They have one child, Minnie L. Louisa married Dr. Porteus C. GILBERT of Honesdale, PA. He was first a captain of the 50th Engineers and afterwards an army surgeon through the war. His wife was with him in the hospitals and also her sister, and a portion of the time, her mother, all taking part in the active duties of the service.
Jephtha A. POTTER born in 1813, married Sarah J. DAVIS in 1840. They now reside in Penn Yan but till recently occupied the old homestead. He is a skillful and successful farmer and a man of industry and taste in rural affairs. He has been noted as one of the leading wool growers of Yates county, and especially for the first class Merino sheep.
John W., born in 1816, was also a physician, and was an able and useful man in his profession. He located at Prattsburg and died there in 1856. His death was caused by the contagion of an ulcerated wound of a patient.
William born in 1818, married Theresa BARSE of Penn Yan. He is a Methodist preacher and a man of superior personal worth. He was two years in the army during the Rebellion and held the rank of Captain.
Alvira A., born in 1823, married Seabred Dodge PRATT of Philadelphia. He is an author and newspaper correspondent connected with the Press of that city.
Edward P., born in 1824, married Elizabeth
MOORE of Hartford, Conn. They
reside in Potter where he was killed by an accidental discharge of a gun carried
Alice POTTER born in 1756, married George HAZARD, who died in Rhode Island. She was a conspicuous adherent of the Friend, and a resolute energetic woman. Her granddaughter is the wife of Dudley W. DOX of Torrey, and has in her possession the wedding ring which belonged to the wife of Judge
William POTTER, and the silver table service presented to her on her wedding day.
Susanna born in 1758, died in Rhode Island
William born in 1760, married Sally JOHNSON who died in Rhode Island, leaving a son Arnold. The father died in this county and the son in New York.
Benedict Arnold POTTER born in 1761, became the most eminent member of the original family. In his youth he was a devout disciple of the Friend and accompanied her in many of her religious peregrinations. He and Sarah BROWN, who subsequently became his wife, went twice to Philadelphia with the Friend. Like his father, he afterwards left the Society and became indifferent if not hostile to the Friend and her teachings. His wife however remained steadfast in the faith. He married Sarah, daughter of Benjamin BROWN Sr., of the Friend’s Society. He was a man of far reaching vies and bold enterprise and performed a highly useful and beneficent part in the first settlement of this county. He was early appointed a Judge of the County Court of Ontario, and was an able and excellent magistrate. In his dealing he was just and honorable, and as a citizen liberal and public spirited. He made great efforts to promote the settlement of his lands and dealt kindly with those who needed lenity in regard to payment,, receiving whatever he could convert to extinguish their indebtedness.* He died in 1810 at Harrisburg while on his way to Philadelphia with a drove of cattle, and was buried there. His early death was a severe lost to the new community in which he lived and was deeply deplored by his neighbors and throughout the wide sphere of his acquaintance. For good and obvious reasons he dropped his first name after the Revolutionary war and was simply known as Arnold POTTER. It was at his mansion that the Duke DE LANCOURTH and Louis PHILLIPPE were entertained several months. He introduced valuable breeds of horses and cattle and was foremost in all public improvements. Their children were: William, Arnold and Penelope. William married Hannah, daughter of Robert CHISSOM and died early. His widow became the wife of Fisher HEWSON. Arnold died a young man. Penelope married Charles W. HENRY, a lawyer of New York. They removed to Laporte, Indiana, where both died leaving two sons, Williams and Miles.
Penelope, daughter of William POTTER, born in 1764, married Benjamin BROWN Jr.
William Pitt born in 1766, died single.
Edward born in 1768, married Ann JOHNSON. They settled east of Himrods on lot 12 of the Potter Location. He died there at the age of 82 years and his wife at the age of 75 years. They had six children, William, Susan, William Pitt, Samuel J., Penelope and Francis M.
Susan born in the Friend’s Settlement in 1799, married in 1818, Holbrook BENSON of Ovid, who died five years later, leaving three daughters, Mary Ann, Sarah and Charlotte. Ten years later Mrs. BENSON married Jared WOODIN ten year her junior, whom she survives. Three daughters were born of the second marriage, Penelope, Maria and Caroline V. Mary Ann married Rominer SMITH, a prominent citizen of Vermont. Sarah married Gen. Gilbert HURD of Starkey. Charlotte is the wife of George W. RUSCOE of Starkey. Penelope is a teacher. Maria died young and Caroline V., also a teacher, married James DODSON and emigrated to Kansas. Mrs. WOODIN now resides at Millport, Chemung Co. During her first widowhood she resided in Penn Yan and aided in establishing the first Methodist prayer meeting in the place. She states that her grandfather, Judge William POTTER, after some years of violent hostility to the Friend, became very much mollified in the prejudices during the later years of his life and that he visited the Friend and spoke kindly of her.
Samuel J. POTTER both at South Kingston, RI, in 1805, married in 1834 Mary COZZENS at Union Springs, Cayuga Co. She was born at Newport, RI in 1809. They resided on the paternal homestead In Milo and he has been a prominent and highly esteemed citizen. Within a few years past they bought the farm of Col. Gilbert SHERERE on lot 18, near Penn Yan, where the family now resides. On this place Mrs. POTTER died in 1868. Their children are: Helen, Ann J., Mary E., Evan j., William C. and Augustus W. Helen is the second wife of Charles N. BURRILL of Penn Yan. Their children are Samuel P. and Anna L.
Ann J. is the wife of John R. HATMAKER. Evan J. married Miranda SWARTZ of Starkey and resides on the old homestead. They have one son, Evan S. Mary E., married Gustavus W. MAYER an Episcopal Clergyman, formerly Rector of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, Penn Yan, now a classical teacher at Denver, Colorado. Samuel J. POTTER still owns the homestead of his father, the title of which was derived from his grandfather. It is not doubt the only family in the county in which no charge of title has occurred, except by inheritance, since the original ownership was derived from the State. Penelope, daughter of Edward POTTER, died young.
Francis M. was a physician. He married Ann RYRESON of Brooklyn and practiced his profession several years in Penn Yan. He erected several stores and other buildings at the head of Main Street. A fire destroyed much of this property. His wife died and he returned to Brooklyn and died there in 1865, leaving two daughters, Phebe A. and Eliza. He studied medicine under Dr. Valentine MOTT and ranked high in his profession.
Simeon born in 1770, was the youngest of Judge William POTTER’S children. He married Catharine KLISE at Hopeton. They settled on lands given him by his father on lot 12, of the Potter Location, within the boundaries of Starkey. He had originally about 1,000 acres of land of which he sold all but 300 acres, which remained to his widow and children. The children were, Lucinda, Penelope, Mary and Sarah Ann. The widow married a second husband, William, son of Edward POTTER. They had four sons, Edward, Benjamin F., Evan M. and John A.
Lucinda married Peter M. FULERSON of Starkey. They emigrated to Ovid, Mich., where she died in 1869, leaving six children, Deborah E. Penelope, George G., Mary A., Ruby and Frank. George died of disease contracted in the Union service as a solider during the Rebellion. Penelope resides single one the homestead with her brother. Mary died at 25 years, and Sarah Ann married Reuben C. ABBOTT. They settled near Watkins where he died and she now resides with her brother, Benjamin.
Edward married Sophia WELTER of Starkey and emigrated to Sheppardsville, Mich. Their children are Henry A. and Ann A. Henry A., married Catharine, daughter of Peleg GARDNER and is a merchant at Ovid, Mich. They have one child, Monroe B. Henry A. POTTER was born in Starkey in 1840. He enlisted in 1862, a private in the 4th Mich. Cavalry, and served under Gens. BUELL, ROSECRANS and SHERMAN in the army of the Cumberland, was promoted for meritorious service to the rank of Second Lieutenant, was in the battles of Stone River, Chattanooga, and the siege of Atlanta; had two horses shot under him while leading charges at Rome, GA, and assisted in the memorable capture of Jefferson DAVIS. His son is the first male born of the sixth generation form Judge William POTTER. Ann A. married in 1869, Frank ALDRICH of Sheppardsville, Mich.
Benjamin F. resides a farmer, and single on the homestead.
Evan M. married Phebe A., daughter of Daniel HUSTED of Starkey. They reside at Ovid, Mich. He is a merchant and partner of Henry A. POTTER. Their children are Charles E. and Cora.
John A. married Mary J. BROWN of Ovid, Mich. He is a Merchant at that place. Their children are William and Catharine.
Judge William POTTER was much the most wealthy man that engaged in the enterprise of establishing the colony of Friends in the Genesee country. He and his family owned at one time about 55,000 acres of land within the limits of this county; or 86 square miles, more than one fourth of the entire area of the county.
Although the name of Arnold POTTER alone appears in the title as original purchaser of the land comprised in Middlesex and Potter, his father and one or two of his brothers were at first interested with him in the purchase. Of all the immense landed estates possessed by the family, but two farms remain now the property of Judge William POTTER’S descendants. Brad to wealthy and luxurious tastes, the sons, with the exception of Arnold, gave little application to business. Accustomed to the service of slaves they had no taste for labor. They were well educated, but fast horses and sporting society produced their usual results in this aristocratic family.
Mrs. John POTTER, (since Mrs. JOHNSON), now
85 years old, is a characteristic scion of the WILKINSON stock.
She and her cousin, Moses HARTWELL, are the only remaining
representatives of the family belonging to their generation, in this county.
She and her descendants exhibit the energy, boldness of thought, and
originality of character which many branches of the family have illustrated in
the sphere of enterprise, invention, and religious independence.
A perusal of the family records afford a flattering proof of the genius
that inheres in this race. Nancy
WILKINSON’S sister, Alpha, was the second wife of Melchoir WAGENER, and the
mother of eleven children. Lucy,
another sister, married John D. WILLIAMS of Putlney.
Abigail, another, married James WEST and moved to Michigan.
Mary Ann, a fourth sister, married Ebenezer GARDNER.
She became a widow, removed to Illinois with her children, and there
bought the farm previously owned by Black Hawk, the noted Indian Chief.
She finally sold out and moved overland with her family to California;
evincing in all her movements excellent judgment, daring enterprise and
masculine force of character.
Aaron PUTNEY was born in Massachusetts in
1771 and died in Middlesex in 1845. He
married Deborah MAYNARD, who was born in Massachusetts in 1777 and died in 1819.
They came to Madison county in 1802 and thence to Middlesex in 1814,
settling on the farm now owned by Samuel SALISBURY, on lot 6, seventh farm
range, where both died. Their
children were Nancy, Julia, Jedediah, Aurelia, Foskett M, Needham M., Martha,
Olive, Aaron M. and Milo Aurelia
married Harmanus VAN VLECK of Madison Co. and there lived.
Julia marred Augustus WHITMAN. Jedediah
married Caroline, sister of Dr. Henry P. SARTWELL.
They settled in Potter on lot 8, of the fifth farm range. Their children were Decastra, Theresa, Julia, Rebecca, Henry,
George, Malvina and Lyman B. All
these have married and emigrated to other places, mostly west, except Theresa,
who married Charles OLMSTEAD and resides on the homestead of her parents.
Their children are Caroline, William, Julia, Mabel, Lewis, Franklin,
Edith M, and George. Mr. OLMSTEAD
has been two years Supervisor of Potter.
Abraham REDDOUT, born at Newburg, NY in 1781, married Elizabeth HORTON in 1801. She was born in 1781. They moved into this town in 1807 and settled on a farm in the WARFIELD neighborhood where they died; she in 1848, and he in 1859. Their children were: David, William, Hester, Elisha, John, Charity, Peter, Daniel and Abraham P. David born in 1802, married Mary VOORHEES of Potter, in 1822 and settled on lot 7 of the fifth farm range, where they still reside, esteemed members of the Methodist Church.
William born in 1803, married Eliza VOORHEES of Potter, in 1825 and settled on lot 8 of the fifth farm range where he still lives. They have had 16 children, of whom the survivors are: Mary A., Elizabeth, Nelson, Elsie, Mary, Frank and David. Mary A. married O. P. HOLBROOK of Rushville. Nelson served three years as a soldier of the 148th Regiment NYV.
Hester, born in 1806, married Job DAWLEY Jr., of Potter. She died leaving five children, Triphena, David, Phebe, Elizabeth and Wesley, all of whom, but Elizabeth, emigrated to Athens, Mich., with their father.
Elisha born in 1810, married Rachel EVANS of Gainsville NY. She died leaving one son, Andrew, who emigrated in 1865 to Brunswick, Missouri.
John, born in 1814, married Sabrina BASSETT of Nunda, and emigrated to Lapier, Mich. Their children are Eliza, Mary J., John B. Abraham, Isabel and Lucinda.
Charity, born in 1816, married Rodman CLARK of Potter. They settled on the George CLARK homestead, where he died leaving three daughters, Almira, Elizabeth and Amanda. She again married for her second husband, Merrill HOLLENBECK, and removed to Greeley, Iowa.
Jane, born in 1812, married Jacob VOORHEES. They own and occupy the old Abraham REDDOUT homestead, on lot 8, of the sixth range. Their children are: William R., Abraham R., John R., David R., Jacob E, Peter, Henry L. B. and Polly A.
David R., married Sophia MC DANIEL and resides in Potter. Abraham R., was three yeas a soldier of the 148th Regiment and fought at Cold Harbor, the Wilderness, Petersburg, and in other bloody engagements. He and John emigrated to Brunswick, MO in 1865.
Peter, born in 1819, married Hannah SHAY of Italy. They moved to Kanona, Steuben Co., where both died leaving six children: Daniel, Orrin, Adelbert, Ruby J., Rhoda E. and Peter C. Orrin was three years a Union soldier.
Daniel born in 1821, married Eunice, daughter of Gideon MOON and emigrated to Belvedere, Ill, where he died leaving four children, Azuba E, Hester, Susan A. and Eunice S.
Abraham P. born in 1827, married Margaret GREEN of Potter, and emigrated to Allegany Station NY. They have two daughters. He also served three years in the 148th regiment and was severely wounded before Richmond. In 1865 he emigrated to Brunswick, MO.
HTML by Dianne
These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.
Copyright 2005 - 2008
[NY History and Genealogy] [ALHN]