Yates County, New York
Businesses in the Town of Potter
From the History of Yates County, NY
published 1892, by L.C. Aldrich
pg 464 - 465
Return to Home Page Return to Town Index
Village of Rushville - Among the hamlets or small villages of the town of
Potter, that called Rushville, is of the greater importance, both in point of
population and commercial advantage. The
village lies partly in this town, while another and possibly a greater part is
in the county of Ontario. On
the site now occupied by Rushville, south of the line, Elias GILBERT, mentioned
on a preceding page, was the first settler, followed soon afterward by the
LOOMIS family. Beza WHITMAN, whose
descendants still live in the town, was the keeper of the first hotel, while
Mrs. Seldon WILLIAMS figured as the pioneer schoolteacher.
William and Cornelius BASSETT were the first male teachers.
Philander P. WOODWORTH was the first merchant of the settlement, his
place of business being in the afterward-called Dr. BRYANT House.
Mr. WOODWORTH afterward kept store and hotel on the site yet occupied for
the latter use. Chester LOOMIS
succeeded WOODWORTH in 1815. On the
west side of the river a tavern was also early started, and near by was the
first school, in which, also, were held the first Congregational Church
services. Among the early merchants
and business men of the village, there can be recalled the names of Raymond
& Sprague, Stillman & Gilbert, John WISEWELL, Thomas J. DUDLEY, Grant
BARNEY, John CLARK, Charles W. HENRY, Wisewell & Henry, Whitman & Green,
Randall WHITMAN, Dudley & Colt, Dudley & Bailey, Hamlin & Hazen
(a branch of the large store at Penn Yan), Judson JONES, Flinn &
Dwelle, LC, Wisewell & Co., Hunt &Armsburger, Mortimer CASE, J. H.
BEERMAN, William T. BASSETT, Geroge Howell & Son, A & J. Thomas, and
others, perhaps whose names have become forgotten.
The large and attractive union school building was erected in 1868, at a
cost pf $16,000. An important adjunct to the business interests of the village
and vicinity was the large steam and water power grist-mill.
Center, which, as the name indicates, is near the center of the town, westward
of Flint Creek, is not more than a hamlet, or convenient trading point for
residents in the surrounding country. Its
business industries have been but few, there not having been more than one or
two stores in operation at any one time, while a single hotel affords ample
accommodations to the wayfarer. The
dwellings in the hamlet proper number not to exceed twenty.
But the Center has two prosperous church societies.
HTML by Dianne
These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.
Copyright 2004 - 2008
[NY History and Genealogy] [ALHN]