Village of Penn Yan FamilySketches
Yates Co., New York
From the "History of Yates Co., NY", byL.C. Aldrich, published 1892
FamilySketches for Villageof Penn Yan
Returnto HomePage Return toSketch Index
A - L
BARDEN,William W., M.D., born in Penn Yan, January 1845, read medicine with his father,Henry BARDEN; graduated from Pennsylvania Homoeopathic College in 1869, afterwhich he located in Penn Yan, where he has practiced since. Married in 1882, Cornelia MC CARTEY of Penn Yan.
BARDEN,Henry, son of Otis, was born in Benton in 1806. He graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1833, andbegan practice in his native town, continuing there for several years, locatingfinally in Penn Yan about 1840 where he died in 1873. He married Caroline PURDY of Benton, by whom he had twochildren, Helen, wife of Cornelius S. VAN WYCK, who resides in Benton and W.W.,a physician who resides in Penn Yan.
BEEBE,George, born in Albany County, became a resident of Penn Yan when abouttwenty-four years of age. He wasemployed by Timothy BRIGDEN in a carriage shop which stood where the presentlarge Beebe factory is now located. In1872 the plant burned, after which Mr. BEEBE bought the land and erected newbuildings. For a time, W. H.WHITFIELD was a partner in the business of carriage manufacturing. The firm of Beebe, Whitfield & Co., continued eleven years and thendissolved, Mr. BEEBEE since conducting the business. His chief manufactures are carriages and speeding carts. He furnishes employment to about twenty-five hands. The works are in Jacob street in Penn Yan village. In 1862 George BEEBE enlisted in Company B., 148th NYVolunteer Infantry, and served three years. In March, 1857, at Mohawk, NY, he married Ann Eliza WOOLEVER, by whom hehad two sons. Ann E. BEEBEE died in1878. In 1879 he married Susan M.NELSON of Little Falls. One child has been born on this marriage.
COMINGS,George A., born in Bergen County, N J, March 31, 1856. When twelve years of age, his father, Morris COMINGS, movedto Penn Yan. George attended thecommon schools of Penn Yan, Cook and Geneva Academies, and in 1883 he marriedEda L. SHEPHERD, of Rochester, by whom he had one son, Jesse A. George A. taught school three years and was clerk for Morgan &Perkins for ten years. In March 1891, he opened a coal yard under the firm nameof Shepherd-Comings Coal Co., on Jackson and Shepherd streets.
DINTRUFF,Jacob, a native of Penn Yan, came to Potter about 1800, being one of thepioneers of that town. He was afarmer and had twelve children, of whom four sons and one daughter survive. John L., the third child, was born November 27, 1821 and was educated atthe common schools of his native town. Hemarried Lucy THOMAS, of Potter, by whom he had five children, two deceased. He was engaged in farming until 1849, when he removed to Italy, andcarried on a sawmill for two years. In1851 he moved to Middlesex and carried on farming there until 1871, when he waselected sheriff of Yates County. Hethen removed to Penn Yan, where he has since resided. He was road commissioner three years in Middlesex, wasassessor six years, supervisor two years, has been six years assessor in PennYan corporation, was vice-president of Yates County Bank four years, and is amember of the firm of Dintruff & Dwelle, wool dealers – the largest inYates County. Mr. DINTRUFF has beenin the brininess thirty-five years.
DOUBLEDAY,Dr. Charles E., son of Dr. Guy L., was born in Italy, NY, April 3, 1864. Both his father and grandfather Elisha, were also physicians. His early education was attained in the schools of Penn Yan. He read medicine with Dr. Nathan JACOBSON, and in 1887 he graduated fromSyracuse Medical College. He tenspent two years in Europe, where he was a student in the Universities ofHeidelberg and Vienna, at the former place being under the tutelage of Prof.ARNOLD. Dr. DOUBLEDAY opened anoffice in Penn Yan in April 1890. Hehas done much work with the microscope. During his vacations he spent considerable time traveling in differentparts of Europe. Dr. DOUBLEDAY hasbeen health officer of the village of Penn Yan. He has attained eminence and honor even thus early in his chosenprofession and bears with modesty and becoming dignity the mantles descendedfrom father and grandfather.
DRAKE,Capt. Alexander H., son of Philip L., was born October 18, 1832 in Starkey. He was educated at the common schools and served several years as clerkin the hotels in Penn Yan, Canandaigua and Geneva and fifteen years in KansasCity. In 1861 he enlisted inCompany H., 33rd NY Volunteers, from Geneva. He enlisted as a private; at the organization was made second lieutenantand at the organization of the regiment was made first lieutenant, May 25, 1861. After nine months’ service he was promoted to captain, June 24, 1862. He was captured at Williamsburgh, NC, May 5, 1862 and after three and ahalf months of imprisonment was exchanged. He was in Libby prison twenty days, then taken to Salisbury, where he wasparoled. On September 13, 1887 hemarried Ida WAGONER THOMPSON, widow of Nelson Thompson and daughter of GeorgeWAGONER.
ELMENDORF,Charles, was born at Canandaigua, May 13, 1829. His father was Joseph ELMENDORF, well known as one of theearly businessmen of the little village. Hismother was Catharine (CHITTENDEN) ELMENDORF. They came to Canandaigua from Durham, Greene County, NY. Charles was the eldest of three children, viz.: Charles, William andEliza. His father was a dentist andto this occupation Charles was brought up and educated by his father, and wasassociated with him until the death of the former in December 1871. In September 1863, Charles ELMEMDORF made an extensive trip to Nicaraguaand California, being away nineteen months. In April 1865 he returned to Penn Yan, where he has since been engaged indentistry. For a time, when abouttwenty-one years of age, Dr. ELMENDORF practiced at Rushville, remaining thereabout a year. From Rushville hewent to Jefferson – now Watkins, Schuyler County, NY – where he practiceddentistry about two years, when he returned to Penn Yan. He is a prominent Odd Fellow, having passed the chair of N.G. and is alsoP.C.P. of Penn Yan Encampment, I.O.O.F. He is a P.M. of the local lodge of the A.O.U.W. In politics he is a Republican, and in religion a Free thinker. He says he “never ‘took any stock’ in the supernatural religion ofany church or sect,” believing “that just, charitable moral conduct towardhis fellow-men is all that is necessary to become acceptable to any of thegods.”
GAGE,William Hoyt was born near Bellona, June 22, 1810. His wife, Abigail Reed FARGO was born April 7, 1810. They were married February 9, 1832. William GAGE’s father, Reuben GAGE, was born in Dutchess County, NY. At the age of sixteen, William learned the trade of carriage maker atPenn Yan, at which he worked several years in various places. He later purchased the KIPP farm in Benton and became a farmer. About ten years ago he bought the STEWART place on Flat street where henow resides. Mr. GAGE is the ownerof more than 200 acres of land.
HEWSON,Robert C., a solid businessman and an enthusiastic supporter of the Greenbackparty, was born in Milo in 1831, the son of Fisher W. and Hannah (CHISSOM)HEWSON. He read law with Franklin& Van Allen, and with Van Buren & Prosser, and was admitted to the bar. He practiced but little, however, having a stronger interest for otherpursuits. His business life hasbeen devoted to lumbering mainly, and fruit growing. About 1880 he started the evaporator at the “head of the street,” andin 1890 established the feeder mill on sucker Brook. In 1888 Mr. HEWSON married Lue A., (Lulu born 1861) daughter ofHaverly BROOKS of Auburn. Mr. HEWSON’s mother was one of the first settlers in PennYan.
PHILLIPS,Hopestill R., was born in Tioga County, Pa., August 1, 1835, the eldest son andchild of Samuel and Sarah (BEECHER) PHILLIPS. Samuel was a dentist. Afterhis (H.R.'s) elementary education was acquired he made a study of dental surgeryunder his father’s instruction. Laterhe attended the lectures of the Baltimore Dental College. In 1857 he commenced professional work at Winchester, Va., and there hewas at the outbreak of the war in 1861. Hisprofessional interests being such that he could not leave at the time, hevoluntarily enlisted as private, but was promoted to the lieutenancy of Co., K,the 10th Virginia cavalry, and served until July 2, 1863, when he wascaptured at Gettysburg by the Union troops, and thereafter held at Johnson’sIsland in Lake Erie. After hisrelease, Lieutenant PHILLIPS resumed the profession of dentistry successively ata southern city in Tioga County, Pa., at Bath, NY and finally at Penn Yan in1887, where he has since remained, occupying commodious and elegantly equippedoffices. Associated with him inbusiness is his son-in-law, Robert S. WREAN, under the firm name of H.R.Phillips & Wrean. Dr. PHILLIPSis genial and companionable. He issomething of a sportsman, fishing, hunting and yachting being his chiefrecreations. His yacht, TheThistle, is one of the staunchest and fleetest on Lake Keuka. The wife of Dr. PHILLIPS is Pamelia Ann REDNOR, of PotterCounty, Pa. They have fivechildren.
KELLEY,Charles, the genial proprietor of the Central House in Penn Yan, was born inGlasgow, Scotland, in 1831, and in 1846 came to America with his father andstep-mother, making the entire distance from his home to Penn Yan by water. He learned the painter’s trade and worked at it several years, andafterward read law with A.V. HARPENDING for a time, but did not continue thestudy. In 1860 he bought a part ofthe property now covered by his hotel and soon after made other purchases. In 1862 he helped to raise a company for the Rebellion, and was musteredin it October 1862, he taking a commission as second lieutenant of Co. C., 44thNY Volunteers Infantry, “Ellsworth’s Avengers”. He was mustered out in 1864, with the rank of brevet-captain. Returning from the service, Captain KELLEY remodeled his Jacob streetproperty and opened a hotel. Thebuildings were burned in 1872 and at once rebuilt. The Central House is one of the most popular hostelries of Penn Yan. In 1876 Mr. KELLEY married Margaret A., daughter of Francis GRAHAM, ofGeneva. Four children have beenborn to them, three whom are living.
KNAPP,Clarence H., born in Barrington, June 5, 1846, was the son of Jesse C. andRachel M. KNAPP, of that town. Hisfather was a farmer, and on the farm Clarence was reared and lived until abouttwenty-one years of age, when he went to Elmira and was engaged for the nextfive years as grocer and fire insurance agent. Leaving Elmira, Mr. KNAPP went to Addison, and was a furniture dealer andundertaker for five years. Whileresiding at this place he began traveling on the road and so continued until thefall of 1884, when he came to Penn Yan. Thenext year he established his present business of furniture and undertaking. Mr. KNAPP is regarded as one of the enterprising and successfulbusinessmen of the village. In 1882he married Ida J. BATES, of Utica. Inpolitics he is a Republican, but is not active in the party work.
LANNING,Daniel, son of Isaac and Catherine (SWARTZ) LANNING, was born in Starkey May 16,1816. At the age of twenty-oneDaniel commenced farming, continuing until 1854. In 1856 he moved to Penn Yan to assume the office of sheriff, to which hehad been elected the preceding fall by a majority of over 1,600. Prior to coming to Penn Yan, Mr. LANNING was three years supervisor ofStarkey, and afterwards held the same office three terms in Milo. He was President Arthur’s appointee to the postmastership at Penn Yanin 1882 and served four years. Hehad also held the office of village trustee and has been otherwise prominentlyidentified with local and general Republican politics. His business life has been successful and he is now regarded as one ofthe substantial men of the county seat. Heis vice-president of the Yates County National Bank. On December 11, 1836, Daniel LANNING married Mary MYERS,daughter of Jacob MYERS, by whom he had no children. Mrs. LANNING died December 21, 1879.
LAWRENCE,John, a native of New Bedford, Mass., born September 6, 1753, was a shipbuilder, and came to Milo in 1789, settling two and one half miles south of PennYan, where he carried on the mercantile business for years. He had four sons and five daughters, most of whom lived anddied in this county. His oldestson, Melethia, born October 18, 1774 was educated in New Bedford, Mass. He married in 1810, Mary ALFORD of Milo, by whom he had four children, ofwhom Judith A. is the widow of D. OGDEN; and Sabra A. is the widow of OliverSTARK, and resides in Penn Yan.
LEVAN BENDER, Joseph, born near Philadelphia, Pa., August 23, 1840, was reared ona farm and at the age of sixteen commenced work in a store. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. B., 52nd Regiment Pa.Volunteers, and after a brief service was discharged, with the rank of secondlieutenant. He re-enlisted andserved as first lieutenant of Co. D., 168th PA Volunteers, till theclose of the war. Having studiedmedicine before entering the service, he now completed his course and practicedseveral years in Wyoming County, before coming to Penn Yan. His medical education was acquired in Baltimore, Buffalo andNew York City, and his practice is after the eclectic school.
LYNN,John, was born in Brockport, NY, April 17, 1827. When six years of age his father died and he came to Dundee to live withhis uncle Elisha, where he remained until sixteen years old. He then learned the machinist’s trade, serving four years with John E.BLIVEN, of Dundee. He then came to Penn Yan and worked for E.B. Jones & Co.,until 1858. In 1850 he marriedSusan A. SOUTHERLAND, by whom he had six children. Two are living, Fred H. and Jennie, wife of Charles W. SMITH, ofRochester. Fred H., was bornDecember 25, 1857 and married Alice HUTCHER, of Penn Yan, by whom he has had twochildren, Bessie and Maithy S. Hehas been foreman of the Commercial Iron Works since 1885. In the fall of 1858 John LYNN went to Seneca Falls, takingcharge of the pump department of Silsby & Co., for nine years. In 1865 his wife died, leaving four children. In 1866 he married Sarah E., a sister of his former wife. By her he has had three children, one of whom is living, Mamie, wife ofWilliam WEBBIE of Penn Yan. In 1868the subject of our sketch went to Pomeroy, Ohio, to take charge of a largemanufacturing establishment, but on account of ill health was obliged to returnto Penn Yan in 1871, and worked for Whitaker & Brian until the fall of 1872,when he assisted in organizing the Commercial Iron Works, of which he has beensuperintendent since. WilliamSUTHERLAND, son of John, was born in New Jersey, November 27, 1812, and came toBenton when three years of age. Hemarried Roxanna HENRY of Geneva, and had eight children. He settled in Penn Yan in 1830 and carried on shoemaking until 1888,residing at the present time with his daughter, Mrs. J. LYNN.
Theseelectronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to bereproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization orpersons.
2014 Contact Webmaster CheriBranca
Copyright2004 - 2014
[NYHistory and Genealogy]