E - I
Return to Home Page Return to Town Page
History & Directory of Yates Co., Vol II, Pub 1873, by Stafford C. Cleveland
Information listed below in ( ) are NOT sourced from this book, but from other sources, such as census information.
William EDDY was a native of Ireland, born in 1757 and married in Ireland, Mary HAYES. They landed in New York, March 1793. In Ireland he was a weaver of corduroy; in New York he kept a grocery store and boarding house. In the fall of 1797 he first came to this region and cleared a piece of land on the farm now owned by Peleg BRIGGS, on lot 13 of Watson’s Purchase, and within the present village of Eddytown. He built a log hut called “The Castle”, in which he staid alone till the next summer when he returned to New York and brought his family in July. They were three weeks coming by way of the Mohawk. Their nearest neighbors were Stephen CARD and the Friends Settlement on the north of them. Their oldest daughter, Elizabeth was then 11 years old. Margaret was born in April 1800. When she was 2 months old, her mater started with her for New York on an ox sled. Mr. EDDY went with them to Geneva and returned the next day. Robert DUNLAP and wife then lived on the Matthew ROYCE place, and Mrs. DUNLAP staid with Elizabeth while her father was absent. DUNLAP worked on the Cayuga Bridge, then in process of construction. He afterwards returned to Pennsylvania, from whence he had emigrated to Reading. At the south the first neighbors of William EDDY were John DOW and David CULVER.
The tract on which William EDDY first settled was known as the Lawrence Tract. LAWRENCE gave EDDY 50 acres for making the first settlement. In the autumn of 1800 he and his oldest daughter, Elizabeth, followed Mrs. EDDY to New York and remained there two years. While absent the Royces HURDS had moved in and formed a considerable settlement. After two years longer residence on the old place, they sold to Phineas CLARK and moved half a mile father west, near where George PLUMMER settled. Eight years later, he moved to a farm one mile and a half southwest of Eddytown, where he resided twenty years on a place now owned by Caleb COWING. In 1834 he went to Ireland and was not afterwards heard of. His wife died in 1831 and was buried in the Fulkerson burying ground. They had several children, all of whom died young, except Elizabeth and Margaret, the oldest and youngest.
Margaret EDDY married Walter BERRY in 1818. He was from New Jersey and came to this county in 1815 and resided near Adam CASTNER’S. They were married in Starkey by Elder BIGELOW. Their children have been, Mary, William, Catharine, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Charles, Margaret, George and Priscilla. Mary is single. William married Adaline, daughter of Frederick DEAN of Himrods. Their children are, Ashsa, John and Elizabeth Catharine. They live at Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.
Catharine BERRY married Freeman FITTS of Columbia Co. He is a carpenter and resides in Dresden. They have a daughter, Mabel. Rebecca marred Jesse HAVENS, a carpenter of Dresden. Their children are Anna, Walter and Ernest. Elizabeth married in 1844, Uriah STAMP, a farmer on lot 11 in Milo. Their children are Mary Alice, Lelia, Rebecca, Ada, and George W. Mary Alice is the wife of Mark BABCOCK and they have a son, Frank Uriah.
Charles BERRY is a miller in Penn Yan. He married Sarah NORTHRUP, widow of Hiram KENYON.
Margaret married Stephen R. STEPHENS, manufacturer and dealer in boots and shoes at Greenville, Mich. Their children are Charles, Thomas, Walter and one other. George died young. Priscilla married Nathan P. BEEDEN of Dresden. Their children are, Ida, Mary and Henry. Nathan P. BEEDEN was one of the soldiers pf the 126th NYV, serving with it throughout.
Margaret EDDY was the first white child born in Starkey.
Andrew EDGERTON was born in 1768, in Hartford, Conn., and his wife, Catharine MURRAY, who was a sister of Mrs. Enos ALLEN, was born in Vermont in 1777. They moved into Reading in 1814 and settled close by Rock Stream, where they bought 50 acres of land. He died there in 1832 and she in 1861. Their children were Polly, James, Elizabeth, Harriet, Andrew, Hannah and Deborah.
Polly born in 1802, married in 1819, William CHAMBERS.
James born in 1803, married in 1829, Sarah WAKEFIELD. They lived in Starkey some years and now reside in Rathborneville, NY. Their children are Harriet, Charles, Andrew, Morton, Marvin, Madison and Frank.
Elizabeth born in 1805 married in 1827 Lewis PROPER. Their children are Gilbert and George.
Harriet born in 1808 lives single on the homestead.
Andrew born in 1811, married Jane, daughter of Ralph SMITH of Reading. They lived a long time on the old homestead of his father, and finally moved to Wisconsin. Their children are Mary, Stafford, William, Eugene, George, Eva, Theron and Freddie. George married Josephine CHASE and lives at Rock Stream.
Hannah born in 1812, married Isaac CHASE of
Parma, NY in 1858. Deborah died at
22 years in 1840.
Amos and Levi W. ELLIS were sons of William ELLIS of Orange Co., and Marie FENTON, his wife. William ELLIS settled in 1818 on the premises occupied by Levi BENTON Jr. in the town of Benton, where he and his wife both died. Their children were Abner, Amos, Levi W., Lazarus, Charles, Samuel, Simeon, Keziah, Beda, Rebecca and Wisner. Rebecca married Epenetus TRIMMER.
Amos born in 1787, married in 1806, Mary, daughter of Jacob SMITH. She was born in 1790. They lived first in Hopeton, and afterward bought of Richard TORRENCE the place now owned and occupied by Daniel SPROWLS on lot 7 of the Potter location, where they resided many years. Afterwards they resided at Himrods, where he died in 1860, and his widow still lives. He was a citizen of much worth and a member of the Baptist Church. Their children were Maria, Rachel, William S., Bridget S., Henry S., Miriam B. and Martin D.
Maria born in 1807, married in 1822, James SUTPHEN Jr., whom she survives, residing with her mother. Their children were Jane, Amos, Mary, Minerva and Daniel.
Rachel born in 1811 married George VAN OSDOL.
William S., born in 1818, married first, Emeline, daughter of Orange HOLLISTER and has a second wife, Eliza, daughter of Gilbert BAKER. The children of the first marriage are Algernon and Penelope.
Bridget S., born in 1821, married Peter PUTNAM. They reside on the old Jacob SMITH homestead in Starkey, and their children are Martin, George, Emeline, Hettie, Ellis, Mira, Arvilla, Mary, Ogden and Dennis O. Martin married Mary, daughter of Joseph ROAT. George married Frank, daughter of David CLAPP. Emeline married Lewis, son of Delazon J. SUNDERLIN. Hettie married William, son of Nelson SEAMANS. Ellis married Orra MYERS. The others are single.
Henry S. ELLIS, born in 1824, married Naomi STONE. They live in Iowa and have a daughter, Viola.
Miriam B., born in 1826, married Jonathan G. BAKER.
Martin D. born in 1828, married Sarah, daughter of Jacob Y. CARPENTER. She survives him, residing in Michigan. Their children were Edward, Benjamin, Louisa Ann and Frank.
Levi W. ELLIS, born in New Jersey, in 1792, married in 1815, Charity, daughter of Emanuel COYKENDALL. She was born in 1799. They were married by Hezekiah TOWNSEND. In 1816, they settled in a place long known as “Slab City”, on lot 8 of the Potter Location and resided in that vicinity through life. He died in 1862 and his wife is still living. Their children were: Squier W., William, Mary, Charles, Rebecca, Palmer, Sally Ann, Martha, Henry S., Emily, Rachel and Flora.
Squier W. born in 1816, married in 1842, Lucretia, daughter of David HYATT. They reside in Michigan and their children are Rebecca, Jane, Ada and Ida. William born in 1818, married Sally, daughter of Daniel SHANNON.
Mary born in 1819, and Flora born in 1842, reside single on the homestead with their mother.
Charles born in 1821, married in 1840, Ann Maria, daughter of Benjamin ROSS. They live in Michigan and their children are Charity, Rebecca A. and Leander.
Rebecca died in 1842 at aged 19 years.
Palmer born in 1825, married in 1852, Ellen, daughter of Bernard BUSH. They live in Torrey and have a son, George.
Sally Ann born in 1827, married in 1870, Pierce TRAVIS in Michigan.
Martha born in 1829, married first, Samuel B. SHANNON and afterwards his brother, William.
Henry S., born in 1832, married in 1863, Ruth, daughter of Halsey SWARTS. They live on his paternal homestead with his mother.
Emily born in 1834, married in 1853, Darwin VAN ALLEN. They live in Pennsylvania and have two children, Julia and William.
Rachel, born in 1837, married in 1853, Byron
S., son of Rev. Alonzo W. SUNDERLIN. They
live in Wayne and have two children, Retta and Ida.
Thomas FITZSIMMONS was an early settler on
the place now owned and occupied by Daniel SUPPLEE.
Ira FOWLER was born in Cayuga County in 1808 and married Charity LOCEY. They settled in 1832 in Starkey, on a farm near Shannontown. In 1834 he went into partnership with Clark K. WARD at Shannontown, where they built a store and continued two years in business. He then moved on the farm now owned by Peter PUTNAM, and in 1841 moved to Starkey landing, where he was largely engaged as a grain buyer, keeping a warehouse and having an interest in the Ferry. He also owned the GOODWIN farm on the west side, and added largely to it. Before the construction of the Canandaigua and Elmira Railroad, the business at the Point was large, as all goods for the trade of Dundee and several other places were shipped by way of that landing. He also carried the mail, which was received by way of the Lake. In 1857 he located on the railway at Starkey Station, and there built a store, a tavern, a dwelling house and warehouse. Two years later he failed, making an assignment to Delazon J. SUNDERLIN, William R. BASKIN and Henry W. FOWLER. In 1864 he moved to Geneva and died there in 1866. He was long a popular citizen of Starkey and twice elected Supervisor. His wife Charity, died in 1848 at aged 38 years. He had a second wife, Mary Jane CHANDLER, widow of Joshua T. KINGIN. She was born in 1815 and is still living in 1872. The children of Ira FOWLER were all by his first marriage, and were Lydia Ann, Hiram S., Mary L., Ira D., John K. and Lyman H.
Lydia Ann, born in 1827, married John HUTCHINSON of Vermont, a lawyer. They live in Chicago and their children are Celeste and Estelle.
Hiram S. FOWLER, born in 1829, married Sarah M. CULVER, niece and foster daughter of John T. ANDREWS. They live at Marshall, Mich., and their children are Eliza and Ira.
Mary L., born in 1831, married Joseph PETRIE of Little Falls, NY. He died in 1856 and she has a second husband, Rev. M. BULLOCK, a Methodist clergyman. She had two children by her first marriage, William and Edward.
Ira D., born in 1834, married in 1859, Mahala, daughter of Henry KINNE. They live in Dundee. He has been a merchant, station agent on the railway at Starkey for nine years, a hotel keeper and is now a farmer.
John K. born in 1837, lives single in California.
Lyman H. died at 23 years in 1866.
Philemon E. FRENCH and John FRENCH were brothers, and cousins of Benjamin and Levi FRENCH, their fathers, being brothers. They were form New Jersey and all settled in Starkey. Philemon E. was a son of Joseph FRENC and Joanna OSBORN, his wife. He was born in 1774, and married Temperance BLAIR in New Jersey. She was born in 1777. They moved into Eddy’s settlement in 1801 and on lot 11 of Watson’s Purchase. When they came there they went from house to house by marked trees there being no roads. Their cabin at first had no floor, and a quilt served for a door. They had fire outdoors at night to keep off the wild beasts. A little brook on which was afterwards built a tannery, run directly through their house. Their floor was finally made of basswood logs, split and hewed. They lived there till 1816 when they moved to the vicinity of Keuka Landing on Lake Keuka, then known as Gibson’s Ferry. Moving subsequently to Bath, Mrs. FRENCH died there in 1856 at the age of 80 years. He then returned to Keuka and died there at the house of his daughter, Joanna, wife of Andrew SWARTHOUT in 1860, at nearly 87 years. When they moved to Wayne, Indian wigwams dotted the ground about the landing. He and Daniel DE WITT as Commissioners of Highways of the town of Reading, laid out most of the original roads in Starkey. He as a man of resolute will and vigorous character. Their children were: Joseph, Elias, Elmer, Maria, Joanna, John, David and Elizabeth. Joseph died at aged 23 years in 1821. Elias born in 1799, married Abagail JONES of Wayne, and is still living. Their children have been Joseph, Floretta, Henry S. Betsey and Hannah.
Maria born in 1864, married Asa SWARTHOUT Their children are Susan, Alonzo, Birdsall, Lorenzo, Margaret, Amanda, George and Sarah. They reside in Wayne, Steuben Co.
Joanna born in 1806, married Andrew D. SWARTHOUT, of Wayne. Their children were: Derastus, Derius, David F., Temperance, Martha, Annette, Henrietta, Mary and Della. Derastus married Ursula, daughter of Delazon J. SUNDERLIN. David F. married Emily, daughter of Nathaniel HUSON Jr., of Starkey. Annette married Charles L. EASTMAN, merchant at Penn Yan. Mary married Wallace W. MILLSPAUGH of Starkey, and they have a daughter, Myrtie.
John born in 1809, married and lives in Cameron, Steuben Co.
David born in 1811, married Henrietta, daughter of John L. SWATHOUT in Benton.
Elizabeth born in 1815, married Washington W. WAGENER and lives West.
John FRENCH, brother of Philemon E., born in 1778, married Rebecca ANSLEY, moved into Eddy’s settlement in 1805 and settled near his brother. Subsequently he moved to the neighborhood of James ROBERTS in Reading. In 1828 he traded his farm away with Gen. Timothy HURD and took a place previously occupied by Rochester HURD in Jerusalem, on the Beddoe Tract, lot 29, where he died in 1861. His wife died 10 years earlier. Their children were: Amasa A., Charles, Lewis, Robert, Ann, Philemon, Elizabeth, Chester and Maria.
Amasa A. born in 1801, married Sarah, daughter of John SEARS. Their children were Amanda, Deborah, Cordelia A., Maria, Phebe J., Mary J., Susan A., John and Johnson (twins). Amanda is the wife of Ferris P. HURD. Deborah married Willet T. SEARLEYS and lives in Wheeler, Steuben Co. John married Catharine DUNN and lives in Wheeler. Johnson married Phebe ST. JOHN and lives in Penn Yan.
Charles born in 1802, married Hannah ROFF of Jerusalem and they reside in Wisconsin.
Lewis born in 1803, married Mary, sister of Richard D. LANE of Barrington. Their children were Smith, Ansley, Andrew, Ada, Elizabeth, Morton and Orpha.
Robert born in 1805, married Janette, daughter of James MC GOWAN. They lived a few years in Starkey, have since owned three or four farms in Benton, and have now the farm formerly owned by David L. PHELPS, on the Pre-emption road. Their children are Margaret A. and Mary Janett. Margaret A. born in 1839, married in 1858, Heman J. CHAPMAN.
Ann born in 1807, died single at 25 years.
Philemon born in 1809, married Eunice BROWN who was reared in the family of Caleb COWING. He has a second wife and lives in Pultney. Elizabeth born in 1811, died single in 1863.
Chester born in 1813, married Amelia, daughter of Jackson WRIGHT ad died in 1868.
Maria born in 1814, married Michael FRANCISCO and resides in Ontario County.
Benjamin FRENCH was born in New Jersey in 1776, and was a son of David FRENCH and Sarah WILCOX, his wife. He married Mary CONKLIN, born in 1778. They took up their residence at Eddy’s Settlement immediately north and opposite the Eddy lot, about 1802, where they resided through life. They were quiet and respectable people, members of the Baptist church and had one son, Levi. Benjamin FRENCH died in 1808 at the age of 32 years, and his wife in 1811 at the age of 31 years.
Levi FRENCH born in 1805, married in 1826, Eliza, daughter of Melvin SCHENCK. They were married by Elder Samuel BIGELOW. He like his parents was a member of the Baptist church, and a quiet peaceable citizen, distinguished as a cultivator of the choicest fruits, years before fruit growing was a popular pursuit. He died in 1868 and his wife is till living on the old Benjamin FRENCH homestead. Their children are Sarah M. and Benjamin.
Sarah M. born in 1827, married Henry D. SEELEY and died in 1862. They had a son, Frank.
Benjamin Jr. born in 1830, married in 1860, Catharine H. GALLAGHER and resides on a part of the old homestead. Their children are: Eliza H., Hattie B. and Grace G.
Levi FRENCH, a brother of Benjamin FRENCH, born in 1782, settled at Eddytown with his brother in 1803, a single man. In 1806 he returned to New Jersey, married there, Fanny, daughter of Richard DURHAM and Sarah HIGH, his wife. She was born in 1787. They soon after settled on lot 14 of the 7th section of Watson’s Purchase and built a log house where John ROBERTS now lives in Reading. A few years later they removed to the farm directly opposite the home of Ralph ALLEN at Rock Stream, and there remained till 1851, in which year Mrs. FRENCH died. He afterwards married Hannah, widow of John A. PELHAM, a cooper, formerly resident in Eddytown, where they resided until his death in 1870. Levi FRENCH was blind many years of his later life. He was a member of the Christian church and a worthy many. The children by his first marriage were Sally, Joel, William, Linus H., Esther and Nancy.
Sally born in 1808, married Charles D. HATHAWAY. They resided many years in Starkey, and now lives at Osceloa, PA. Their children are: Lewis F., Emeline, George W., Enos B., Aaron, Sophia, Nancy, Mary and Joel. Aaron was a Union soldier of the war of the Rebellion and died in the service. Enos B. married Ella, daughter of Hampton MILLER and resides at Rock Stream.
Joel married and lived in New Orleans. Linus H. born in 1813, married Esther CORYELL of Barrington, lived near Rock Stream many years and now resides in Urbana, Steuben Co.
Esther born in 1815, married William HILLEGUS and resided in Starkey. He was accidentally killed in 1860 by an accident on a steamboat on Seneca Lake. Their children were: Joel F., Freeman L., Adelia, Laura Ann, Sarah E. and Jennie. Freeman was killed in the battle of Cold Harbor, a soldier of Co. B., 148th NYV
Nancy born in 1824, married George MACK.
They resided some time in Starkey and moved to Osceloa, PA.
Their children are Urania, Henry, Ella and Levi.
Caleb FULKERSON was born near Somerville, NJ in 1762 and in his early life was apprenticed to a tailor, whose business he followed many years. In the latter part of the Revolutionary war, at the age of 19, he enlisted as a musician. Joining a scouting party he was taken a prisoner and confined in New York in very uncomfortable quarters for 8 or 9 months, suffering great hardships and privations. He was exchanged in June 1782 and returned to his home and business. In 1787 he married Deborah TUNISON. The lived about ten years in New Jersey, when they moved to Newtown and about 1805 took up their abode on lot 11, of Watson’s Purchase, about one mile south of Eddytown, where they resided while they lived. At a very early period they kept a public house there, and it was a place for many public gatherings. He was a very early member of the Presbyterian church at Eddytown, always a citizen held in high respect. He had a large farm and was in independent circumstances. He died in 1848 and was buried in a coffin made from a tree planted by his own hand, which he assisted in cutting down for that purpose. His wife died in 1859 at the age of 88 years. Their children were Philip, Margaret, Deborah, Anna, Joseph, Letitla, Eleanor, Samuel H. and Peter M., (twins), Caleb and William G.
Philip married Eunice, sister of Richard TORRANCE. He died in 1829, aged 41 years. His family resides at Marshall, Michigan.
Margaret married William GOUNDRY. Their surviving children are Caleb, Deborah, Margaret and Caroline. Caleb married Electa, daughter of Gen. Timothy HURD. Deborah married Henry S. BARNES. Margaret married Clement W. BENNETT and Caroline married Dr. George W. BRUNDAGE of Dresden.
Deborah married Richard HURD Jr. Their children were Bryant, Mary Ann, Richard, Caleb, Letitia and Harvey. They lived in Steuben county.
Anna married Thomas CULVER. Their children were Wallace, Vandevere, Sarah, Ellen, Letitia and Harriet.
Joseph married Mary Ann, daughter of Solomon NORMAN, and resided in Starkey, dying at 32 years. He was a man of superior intelligence and a prominent citizen. They had a son, Washington, who resides in Mc Henry Co., Illinois.
Letitia married John BROOKS of Lodi, Seneca Co., and died in 1866 at the age of 63 years.
Eleanor married first, Richard HOWARD. They had a daughter, Margaret. Her second husband was Thomas DAVIS. They had two children, Sarah Ellen and William. Her third husband is David J. MC MASTER of Potter.
Samuel H. born in 1807, married in 1831, Jane Ellen, daughter of Solomon NORMAN and resided on a portion of the old homestead through life, and was in all respects a good citizen. He died at aged 44 years. His wife survives at the age of 63 years in 1871. Their children were: Ellen, Wallace W., Norman, Samuel, Harlan P., Monroe and Caleb. Ellen born in 1833, married George DAVIS and resides at Boss city, Idaho. Wallace born in 1854, married Ann M. GENUNG of Dix, and lives in Independence, Iowa. Norman is single, living in Michigan. Samuel Monroe and Caleb are all in Montana. Harlan P. resides with his mother on the homestead. Wallace W., Norman, and Caleb were Union soldiers in the war of the Rebellion.
Peter M. married Lucinda POTTER. They moved to Ovid, Michigan, where they reside. They moved to Ovid, Michigan where they reside. Their children are Deborah, Nettie, Augusta, Ruby and Francis.
Caleb FULKERSON Jr., married Delia WEBSTER. They reside in Michigan and their children are Lydia A., Margaret, Deborah, Mary, Letitia, Vandevere, William and Prudence. Lydia A. married William STOWE and resides at Horseheads. The others reside in Michigan.
William G. married Ruby ROYCE and lives at
Peter GABRIEL of Old Milford, Conn, married Olive, daughter of John SEARS. They came to Eddy’s Settlement in 1803. He son after left and was not heard from thereafter, his wife and children, remaining. Their children were Alanson, Leverett, Susan, Lewis and Eliza. Alanson born in 1794 was a solder in the War of 1812, enlisting in Captain HURD’S Company at 19 years. His brother, Leverett, was a drummer boy in the same regiment. He married Permilla, daughter of John PLUMMER, a relative of George PLUMMER. They lived about two miles south of Dundee. He was a respectable citizen and a member of the Dundee Presbyterian Church. He died in 1869 (headstone has 1865) and his wife is still living. Their children were Lyman, Benedict, John P., Mary J., Mahala and Harriet. Lyman died at 19 years.
Benedict married Sarah E., daughter of Samuel PIERCE. He lived many years in Starkey, was a builder and school teacher, and now lives at Elmira. Their children are Deja and Ella M.
John Plummer GABRIEL married Elizabeth, daughter of Luther CLEVELAND of Reading. They had two children, Er C. and Lucia. He has a second wife, Abigail SANFORD and they have one child, Elizabeth . Lucia married Wallace CORBITTT and they have a son, Lee.
Mary Jane married Ezra D. COOK.
Mahala married Alonzo SKIFF. They live in Starkey and their children are Eugene and Plummer.
Harriet married George C. BRACKET. Their children are Millie G., Edith E. and Harold G.
Leverett GABRIEL, born in 1795, was brought up in the family of Gen. Timothy HURD. He married Harriet, daughter of Andrew BOOTH Jr., She was born in 1803. They lived half a mile south of Eddytonw. He was a man of intelligence, a lawyer in Justice’s courts, and quite skillful in that capacity, a Methodist and a man of integrity. He died in 1865. His wife is still living in 1871. Their children were, William E., Maria and Hester.
William E., born in 1821, married in 1841, Alzada, daughter of Charles TRUSEDELL and widow of Nelson HUSON. She was born in 1818. They reside on the Sherman HURD farm, the next place south of his father’s old homestead. They have a daughter, Calista, who was born in 1842. She married Lewis G. PHINNEY in 1859. Their children are Hattie G. and Willie.
Maria born in 1821, married George T. HUSON, son of Elijah HUSON. Their children are Nelson, Ann, Nettie, Lillie, Fred, Etta and Marshall.
Hester married Floyd FLORENCE and died at 25 years of age, in 1850.
Susan, a sister of Alanson and Leverett GABRIEL, born in 1797, married first James ROYCE, son of Simeon ROYCE. Her second husband was Phillip L. DRAKE. She died in 1830.
Lewis GABRIEL, another brother of this
family, married Eliza DEXTER of Geneva, and lived in Starkey, where he died in
1863 at the age of 64 years. His
wife still survives at 62 yeas, in 1871. He
was an excellent millwright. Their
children were Levertt, Spencer, Sarah, Charlotte, Henry, Charles, Serepta,
Permila, George, Thomas and Peter. Most
of these have moved away from the county. Sarah
married Robert ELWERT. Their
children are Charles and Cora. Permilla,
married Myron E. HENDERSON. George
married Viola STERLING. George and
Charles were soldiers in the war of the Rebellion making a good record.
Eliza, another sister of the GABRIELS married William KRESS.
John GOODWIN was a native of Pennsylvania, and a son of Richard GOODWIN. He came single with his father at an early day to Goodwin’s Point on Cayuga Lake. At that place he married Jane, daughter of Isaac SMITH, one of the pioneers of that locality. In 1807 they moved to what has since been known as Goodwin’s Point, on the west side of Seneca Lake. Isaac SMITH gave his daughter 100 acres of land at that place, to which were added 30 more. In 1808 John GOODWIN started a ferry at the Point, and being interfered with by John GLEASON, he bought of one GRANDIONE, 37 acres on the east side, embracing what has since been known ad Goodwin’s Point, at North Hector. John GOODWIN was largely engaged in the boating business. He remained at Starkey Landing till 1840; then lived 12 years at Hammondsport; thence he moved to Rochester, where he died, engaged in boating, about 1860, nearly 80 years old. His wife died at the residence of her daughter, Prudence, in 1870 at aged 85 years. Their children were Alfred, Firman, Prudence, Hiram and Seneca.
Alfred, born in 1803, married in 1827, Betsey, daughter of Samuel CORYELL of Bennett’s Settlement. She was born in 1802 and died in 1830. She perished by drowning, with her only child, in Lake Keuka. They were on a visit to his brother in law, Ira GIBSON, at Gibson’s Landing in Pulteney. GIBSON’S wife was Harriet, daughter of Samuel CORYELL. It was in February and the husbands put their wives, with each a young child, in a cutter, on which they raised a sail for a ride on the frozen lake. Crossing toward the east side, the ice broke through as the men pushed the cutter, and Mrs. GOODWIN and both children were drowned. He married a second wife in 1833, Elizabeth, daughter of Rebecca HOWARD. She was born in 1798 and died in 1871. Mr. GOODWIN bought of his father the farm on the west side, and in 1835 traded it with his brother, Hiram, for the property on the east side, where he has since resided, retaining an interest in the Ferry. He is a citizen of sterling qualities. His foster son, William E. HOWARD, a son of Thomas R. HOWARD and nephew of Mrs. Alfred GOODWIN, keeps the Grove Hotel at the Point, east side, and is a grain buyer there. He was born in 1843 and married in 1865, Ella A. BOWLBY. She was born in 1849.
Firman, born in 1807, married Mary BARTLETT of Geneva. He is a physician, licensed in 1837 by Yates County Medical Society. He practiced near Dresden; later at Dey’s Landing in Varick, then at Geneva, and finally in Williamsburg, NY, where his family resides. He has been 18 years in California, returning at intervals to visit his family. Their children are Fanny and Mary.
Prudence, born in 1809, married first, Pinchen WARNER, second John WILLIAMS and third, John CRANDALL of Hammondsport. By the first marriage, she had a daughter, Martha, and by the second, two sons, Harmon and Henry. They live in Iowa.
Hiram, born in 1813, married Lydia, a sister of Firman’s wife. He was blind and established in 1830 a grocery at Starkey Landing. The property on the east side of the Lake was given him by his father, which he traded for the west side property; he disposed of that and died in 1846 in Dresden. Their children were Charles S. and Annette.
Seneca married Mary Ann, daughter of William KIMBLE of Milo. He was long a captain on the Keuka Lake Steamer, “Steuben”. He finally emigrated to Des Moines, Iowa, where he is a wealthy resident.
Andrew HARRISON was a native of Ireland, born in 1762. He emigrated first to Pennsylvania, where he married Dorcas CALHOUN, who was born in 1777. They settled in 1804 on lot 13 of Watson’s Purchase, where Mr. MC MILLAN now resides in Eddytown. He kept the first tavern in Starkey and also built the first distillery. He afterwards became a leading Methodist, and his house was the home of the itinerants. There was preaching at his house every two weeks on the old Lyons Circuit. He died in 1828 and his wife in 1841. Their children were, Polly, Nancy, Margaret, Eliza, Sally, Andrew and George.
Polly was born in 1799, married William R. KELSEY who was a carpenter and builder. He kept a public house in Eddytown and in other places. She died in 1840. Their children were Albert and William H.
Nancy married George BARKLEY of Geneva. Their children were Emeline, Maria, Arba, Eliza, George and Margaret.
Margaret HARRISON born in 1803, married in 1823. Chidsey FIELDS, who still lives at Big Stream, at the age of 71 years in 1871. Their children were Mary and Lucy. Mary died at 17 years, and Lucy born in 1826, married in 1849, George CONGDEN, a malster of Elmira. Their children were Edward, Anna, Joseph and Bell.
Eliza married William H. FRENCH of Geneva. They had a daughter, Eliza.
Sally married Mathew HAIR. They resided on the HARRISON homestead and he was a noted Methodist. The family emigrated South, some years ago. Their children were Emeline, Maria, Mary and George.
George HARRISON married west, moved to Canada, and has not since been heard from. Andrew died young.
Jacob HACKETT was born in 1772 in Plymouth, Mass. He moved in 1803 to what is now Warren Co., NY, where he married in 1806, Clara ORTON, who was born in 1789. In 1810 they visited in the town of Seneca, his uncle, James COWING, father of Caleb and Albert R. COWING. On invitation of Caleb, he visited what is now Starkey, and bought 140 acres of the HORNBY estate, on the northwest corner of what has since become Main and Seneca streets in Dundee. Fifty acres of this lad was then in possession of Frank LITTLE, 50 acres in possession of a Mr. DEPUE and the remaining forty was occupied by widow MURDOUGH, mother of Mrs. John J. KRESS. He purchased these possessory rights of the several owners. The land was then chiefly covered by a fine forest of pine. This was some years before the village was founded. They lived on this place till 1834, when he sold to Col. John J. SMITH, and purchased of one RYCKENBURG, the farm previously owned by Patrick QUIN, south of Eddytown. Several years later he sold that farm to Ansel RICH and bought 50 acres in “Beartown.” He died in 1859. His widow still lives in Dundee in her own house, quite alone, upwards of 80 years. This was a noble and excellent couple, industrious, frugal and honest. The farms they occupied were much improved and beautified by the industry and energy of “Uncle Jake HACKET,” as he was always familiarly called. He was a child of the Revolution bluff, hospitable, honest and true, and his wife was his meet companion. They were childless.
Captain Frederick HAINES was one of the pioneers in Bennett’s Settlement. His wife was Mary WILSON. In later years they lived in Eddytown on the place where Seeley BAILEY now resides near the Seminary. He died first and his wife about 1846, at 70 years. Their children were John, Coe, Maria, Lydia, Huldah, Peter, Benjamin, Sarah, Susan, Henry, Frederick and Phila Ann.
John married Mary Ann daughter of Emanuel COYKENDALL. They moved to Ohio, and their children are, Simeon, Harrison, Eliza and Susan Ann. Maria married Jotham, son of Emanuel COYKENDALL. Huldah is the wife of Simeon ROYCE 2nd. He is a merchant tailor at Horseheads and they have a daughter, Sophia. Peter resides at Grass Lake, Michigan, a wealthy farmer. Benjamin learned the trade of tailor with Simeon ROYCE 2nd, at Eddytown, wrought there at his trade some years, and is now a Christian clergyman. The others have not been traced.
Nicholas HAIR was a son of Francis HAIR, was one of the earlier settlers of Starkey and located in Bennett’s Settlement near the present corporation of Dundee. Both he and his wife died there. Their children were Francis, Sophronia, Russell, Luther, Matthew, Hannah and William.
Francis married Harriet BLOSSOM, lives some time in Starkey and Barrington, finally moved to Batavia.
Sophronia married Hiram, son of George KRESS and moved to Indiana.
Russell married Eliza, daughter of Francis LITTLE and died early.
Luther born in 1803, married in 1825, Mary, daughter of Andrew RAPLEE. Their children were Uriah, Mary Ann and Huldah. Uriah, born in 1825, married in 1846, Julia, daughter of David SMITH. (His second wife was Emeline HUSON). Mary Ann married Levi SLAUGTHER, and lives in Barrington.
Matthew married a daughter of Andrew HARRISON.
Francis HAIR Sr., came from Ireland, lived in a little log house near his son Nicholas, and died there. His wife Huldah, died at 82 years in 1840.
Robert HAIR, a one-armed man, and relative of Francis HAIR Sr., also came from Ireland and located early in Bennett’s Settlement. He was the father of Ezra HAIR of Jerusalem.
Samuel HARPENDING was born at Perth Amboy, NJ in 1778 and was a son of Peter HAREPNDING and Anna COMPTON, his wife. The family was descend from Dutch ancestors, who emigrated from Newenhuys in Holland, landing at New Amsterdam in 1663. Peter HARPENDING spent the last years of his life with his son in Dundee and died there in 1840 at 96 years. He was a soldier of the Revolution and had a son, Peter, who lived and died in Tyrone. The mover of Samuel and Peter died while they were young, and the father had two subsequent wives.
Samuel at the age of thirteen, was apprenticed to a hatter. His master in the trade was Godfrey BARTLES, a son of Frederic BARTLES, who was the original settler and builder of the mill at the outlet of Mud Lake. After four years service at his trade, he worked some with his father, and tramped from place to place following his vocation, coming as far west as Cayuga Bridge and Aurora, where Walter WOOD offered him an acre of land for every hat he would make. He worked his way back to New Jersey, where in 1806, he married Hannah COSAD. She was born in 1782 in Somerset Co., NJ and was next to the youngest of a family of nine, of whom Samuel COSAD became a wealthy resident of Junius, Seneca county.
Early in 1806, Samuel HARPENDING and wife moved to Genoa, Cayuga Co., where he conducted the hatting business five years with David OGDEN. In May 1811, with three children they moved to Reading, crossing Cayuga Lake in a ferry boat and Seneca Lake in company with Joshua WYCKOFF. They landed at GOODWIN’S and stayed there all night. The next morning they started for Stark’s Mill (a saw mill), located on Big Stream, directly south of Dundee, where they took possession of a very poor log house. The east road was not then cut through, and the route was a pathway thickly impeded by underbrush. He conducted his business there a number of years, first buying one acre of land on which he erected a house where he kept a tavern as well as a hat shop, the family residing in the same building. This was directly opposite the log tannery of Hiram BELL. In 1817 he sold this place to Clayton SEMANS, who that year erected thereon what has since been known as the Raplee Red Mill. Mr. HARPENDING then built a frame house on the well know tavern stand which still belongs to his descendants, and on 25 acres of land which had previously been articled to him. That was the home of his family thereafter, and there he kept a public house widely and favorably known, as it still is in the hands of his son, Andrew. He was a prosperous man, and accumulated a good estate. Mirthful and jolly, he loved all active sports, was fond of hunting and the turf, and owned among his horses, “Old Rock,” a noted racer, who won many fields and is still well remembered by many of the older citizens of Starkey. He took an active interest in all public concerns. In politics he was an inflexible adherent of the Whig party. The place was long known as Harpending’s Corners, and the proprietor of Harpending’s tavern was justly regarded as no ordinary character. He died in 1852 and his wife is still living with remarkably well preserved bodily powers and mental faculties. She has always been held in high esteem for the excellencies of her character. Their children were: Mary Ann, Elizabeth, Anthony C., (Asbury), Abraham V., Andrew and Samuel. Mary Ann was the first wife of Samuel HUSON. Elizabeth is the wife of Jesse G. ANDREWS of Dundee.
Anthony C., born in Genoa, in 1811, married in 1838, Mary Rebecca, daughter of Richard SUTPHIN Jr., She was born in 1821. He was a mercantile clerk in his early years in Dundee, Eddytown and Himrods. In 1837 he commenced as a merchant on his own account in Dundee, and continued in business many years, conducting a profitable trade. The Harpending block in Dundee was built by him. He was appointed Postmaster under Gen. HARRISON, and was Supervisor of Starkey two years. Their children were Emmett, born in 1842, died in 1845, Spencer, born in 1846, and Andrew A. born in 1851. Spencer is single, residing at Rochelle, Ill. Andrew A. married Tavia, daughter of Richmond GRISWOLD and lives in Dundee.
Asbury, born in 1814, married Mary, daughter of Henry SAYRE. He died in 1853, leaving three children, Hannah, William H.H. and Henry Clay (twins). Hannah E. is the wife of Charles S. BAKER, a lawyer of ability and prominence, resident in Dundee. He is a son of Elijah BAKER, long noted as a businessman of great prominence in Hector. They have a son, Asbury H. William H.H. is single, residing in Dundee and Henry Clay is a student at law in Dundee.
Abraham V. HARPENDING, born July 19, 1816, died in the city of Albany, April 23, 1871. His early opportunities of education were imperfect, but he became a sound an able lawyer, winning prominence and distinction at the Yates county bar. His study of law was begun under James L. SEELY at Dundee, and completed under Evert VAN BUREN at Penn Yan. Fore some years he was a partner of William S. BRIGGS, and afterwards practiced with much success on his own account. In 1853 he was elected District Attorney, and held the office one term, discharging his official duties with ability and fidelity. In 1857 he was elected Member of Assembly and made an influential and useful representative. In the autumn of 1869, Charles J. FOLGER resigned the office of State Senator immediately after his election. Mr. HARPENDING had been supported in the convention of his party for the office and was nominated and elected to fill the position. He served till near the close of the second Legislative session, when he was very suddenly taken ill and died, much lamented by a large circle of friends. He was a man of fine social qualities and generous feelings. His mind was well poised and discriminating, with a sound judgment of men. He was buried at Dundee with other deceased members of his family.
Andrew, born in 1819, is single, residing on the old homestead, and keeping up well the name and fame of the old public house first established by his father. He is a man of wealth and probity of character.
Samuel C., born in 1822, died in 1859. He was a partner of Andrew in keeping the public house and was a worthy man.
Garret HARING was a son of Cornelius HARING and Annette ORIANCY, his wife, and was born near Hoboken, NJ in 1782. He was in early life a teacher and married in 1804 at Otsego, NY, Phebe, daughter of Timothy HOWE. They moved in 1805 to what is now Lansing, Tompkins county, and thence in 1816 to Reading, having purchased the farm opposite that of Clark M. SHARP, near Rock Stream and on the boundary of Starkey. They lived there till 1835, removing then to the town of Orange. He was a farmer and surveyor, held many local offices, did a large amount of public business and when he left Yates county, was one of its Associate Judges. During his residence near Rock Stream, hew as largely employed as a surveyor and as a lawyer in Justices’ Courts. He died in 1854 and his wife in 1871. Their children were, Cornelius, William, Isaac, Polly, Anna B., Keziah, Deborah, Clarissa, Chauncey J. and Harriet.
Cornelius born in 1805, married in 1828, Achsa, daughter of Joel JOHNSON. She died in 1822 and he married in 1834, her sister, Mary. She died in 1854 and he married in 1855, Freelove, a daughter of Judah WEEKS and widow of Hiram TOWNSEND. He has resided in Orange, a farmer and surveyor since 1828. His children by the first marriage are Phebe, Elizabeth and Wealthy; by the second, Garrett, Charlotte, Helen, William, Mary L., Ira L. and Alice A. Garrett was a Union soldier of the 141st NYV.
William was born in 1808, married Eliza, daughter of Jesse COCK of Starkey. He is now a merchant at Watkins and a man of wealth. He has lived there about 30 years. Their children are Charles and George, both merchants at Watkins.
Isaac married Charlotte, daughter of Amasa NICHOLS and died a merchant at Watkins in 1842. They had two children, Oscar R. and John.
Polly married Thomas JOHNSON in 1833. Anna B. born in 1816, married Simeon JOHNSON in 1836 . Keziah married Ira JOHNSON. Clarissa married James HAMMOND. Deborah married James HORTON. Chauncey J. married Abigail, daughter of Barna BROWN. Harriet married Dr. Robert BELL. All these married and resided in Steuben county. Chauncey J. became a lawyer and died in 1863 at Corning, Steuben Co., where he then resided.
Daniel HAWKINS was a native of Orange county. His wife was Hannah FENTON. He settled on section 11 of Watson’s Purchase. Fifty acres were given him by one of the PUMPELLEYS, a land surveyor, for hunting his meats while he was surveying the country. He lived there many years and finally sold his farm to James HUNTINGTON who also lived on it many years. HAWKINS owned several parcels of land and was a thrifty man. He died in Starkey or Reading. Their children were, Reuben, Sybil, Zilpha, Nancy, Margaret and Mary (twins). Reuben married Nancy ELLIS. Zilpha marred Josiah HAGGERTY. Nancy married Samuel SHATTUCK. Margaret married John ESLIC.
Mary married William GREEK, son of James GREEK and grandson of Marmaluke GREEK. Of Marmaluke GREEK it is related that he was a native of ancient Greece, stolen when a lad by a sea captain and brought to this country. He was an early inhabitant of Reading and his name was given him by the captain who stole him form his native land.
David HAY was born in New Jersey in 1772 (a son of Ephraim HAY and Mary TERRILL, his wife), and married there, Mary, sister of Benjamin and Levi FRENCH. She was born in 1778. They settled at Eddytown with or near Benjamin FRENCH on the same lot in 1808. Afterwards they moved a mile west of Eddytown, where they lived till his death in 1847. She survived him till 1868, dying at 90 years. They were Baptists and people of excellent character. Their children were Betsey, Joel, Sally, Benjamin, Levi, Rachel, Ephraim and David F.
Betsey born in 1797, married Bartholomew TURNEY. They lived many years in Starkey, finally moving to Steuben Co. Their children were Eliza, Mary, Harvey and David.
Joel, born in 1799, married Betsey HURLEY born in 1805. He has a second wife, Jane HURLEY, cousin of his first, born in 1805. They still reside one mile and a half south of Dundee, where he has lived over half a century. The children by his first marriage were Fanny and Mary J., and by the second, Warren, David, Elizabeth, Melissa and John. The youngest, John, was a solder and was in the march of SHEARMAN to the sea. (don’t know which side or Co.)
Sally born in 1801, married Charles O’ NEIL and they finally moved to Steuben Co. Their children were Mary Ann, Levi, David and Willis. Levi was a Union solider serving through the war.
Benjamin born in 1809, married Betsey BELCHER and after many years, moved to Missouri. Their children were, Maria, Mary E., Emeline, Angeline, George, Ella and Frank. George was a Union Solider. Ephraim died at 19 years in 1833 and Levi and Rachel died young.
David F., born in 1816, married in 1838, Emeline BELCHER born in 1821. They reside on his paternal homestead, and their children are Janett, Fanny, Sarah, Eliza, Washington and Columbus. Janett married Albert QUICK, who was a soldier in the 126th Regiment and killed at Harper’s Ferry. They had a child, Leona. Janet has a second husband, Allen GAY, and resides in Dundee. Fanny married George BECKER who was a soldier and hospital steward of the 126th Regiment, and died of disease contracted in the service.
Alexander HEMIUP was born at Bath, NY in 1799. He was a son of John HEMIUP and Katrina Savona VON DOLLEN, his wife. He married in 1821, Mary, daughter of John MILLS. He came to Penn Yan in 1822, and wrought at his trade as a shoemaker. His father died at his house in Penn Yan in 1823. They moved to Eddytonw in 1829 and kept a tavern some time, being preceeded by Joshua MAPES and succeeded by Philip L. DARAKE. They then purchase the James NORTON homestead, in Eddytown and reside there still, he following his trade till a recent period, also owning a small farm. He has been one of the best citizens Starkey can boast, and his wife is an equally worthy woman. Their Golden Wedding anniversary was celebrated Dec. 2, 1871. Their children are George, Catharine and Cornelia.
George born in 1822 in Penn Yan, went young to Geneva as a clerk for his uncle, Anthony HEMIUP, a merchant at that place and became his successor. He married Maria, daughter of Rev. S. W. REMINGTON. They have a daughter, Verna.
Catharine born in 1826, is the second wife of John ROOF, brother of Philip, whom she married in 1849. They live about two miles south of Dundee, and have one surviving daughter, Ida May.
The wife of Reuben HENDERSON was Mehetabel, a sister of Matthew ROYCE and they with their oldest two sons, Rufus and Horace, were members of the original Sandgate colony. The parents lived and died in what is now Starkey. He died in 1816 at the age of 39 years and his wife in 1823 at the age of 47 years. Their children were Horace, Rufus, Jennie, Susan, James C., Matthew and Rhoda.
Horace HENDERSON born in 1799, married in 1819, Harriet, daughter of Elisha BABCOCK and Phebe PIPER, his wife. They resided many years at Rock Stream where he was Justice of the Peace several years. He died in 1864 and his wife in 1859. Their children were Reuben B., James P., Eliza Jane, Lathrop S. and Sarah. Reuben B. born in 1820, marred Eliza, daughter of Isaac LANNING. He resides at Rock Stream, where he ahs been a Justice of the Peace and Postmaster. They have a son. Myron Elwyn, who married Millie, daughter of Lewis GABRIEL. James P. born in 1822, married Sarah, daughter of David KING, of Geneva, and resides in Starkey. Their children are Louisa and Eugene.
Eliza Jane born in 1823, married Horace LEAVENWORHT of Geneva and resides there. They have a daughter Elmira Josephine, who married Oscar TIFT. Lathrop S., born in 1829, married Caroline, daughter of Rev. Oliver E. BRYANT. They live at Rock Stream, and have one surviving child, Julia A. Sarah M. born in 1831, married Charles W. MANCHESTER of Ithaca.
Rufus HENDERSON married Abigail FAIRBANKS and is still living in Schuyler county. Jennie died at the age of 16 years.
Susan married first, Rev. William GARDNER , a Methodist clergyman. Their children were William and Caleb C. William married and is at the west. Caleb C., married Sylvia, daughter of Isaac VANGORDEN. They had one daughter, Mary, who married Wells D. CAPRON of Penn Yan. The second husband of Susan HENDERSON was Marshall J. COWING, brother of Caleb COWING. Their children are Cynthia, James, Elizabeth and Jane. They reside west.
James Cowing HENDERSON lives on that part of section 12, first occupied by his uncle, Simeon ROYCE. He is a substantial farmer and an industrious and hospitable citizen. He was a member of Col Harvey G. STAFFORD’S military staff and when the old 206th trained, he was always armed and equipped according to law, and rode a splendid charger, and was a fine appearing officer. He married Caroline, daughter of William FIERO, of Seneca, and they had two children, James and William. James died a young man; William married a daughter of Miles G. RAPLEE and has one daughter, Madaline.
Living with James C. HENDERSON, are his foster parents, Caleb COWING born in 1785, and his wife Rhoda ROYCE, born in 1783, both well preserved and vigorous and truly venerable people of the olden time. Rhoda ROYCE taught the first school in Starkey in 1809, near where Starkey Seminary now stands.
Mathew HENDERSON married Sally ESTEE. Their children are Jane, Rufus, Rhoda and Horace.
Rhoda HENDERSON married John PLETCHER. They live in Niagara county, and have a son, Matthew.
John HETFIELD was born in 1770, in New Jersey, and married there in 1805, Hannah AIKEN. They lived six years in New Orleans, where he was a builder, architect and draftsman. His eyesight failing, he was obliged to quit his trade and moved to Reading in 1811, settling near Hurd’s Corners, now Rock Stream. They remained there the residue of their lives, dying in old age. Their children were, Moses, William, Samuel, Mary and John.
Moses married Ellen S., daughter of Dr. John WARNER. They lived on the paternal homestead, where he died at a recent date. Their children were, Eliza J., Ellen S., Charlotte E., Warner M. and Angeline H.
William married and lived at Port Byron, NY. He died wealthy, leaving most of his estate to the Free Masons for charitable purposes.
Samuel married a sister of William’s wife, is a banker and broker in the city of New York, was formerly a tanner and currier. He is a Democratic politician and a man of great wealth. He has a son who is a lawyer in New York.
Mary was the second wife of Richard H. HATHAWAY.
John married Martha MC MANUS of New Jersey. They lived some time in Starkey and now reside in Orange Co., VA. They have four children. Mary, the oldest, is the wife of Edward BARNES.
John HOWARD was an original setter on the farm next south of that afterwards owned by Abel PIERCE, near the south line of Starkey. He settled there in 1804 and remained there 12 years, moving thence west. He was from Delaware County.
James HUNTINGTON was a son of Nathaniel HUNTINTON and Mary CORNING, his wife, of Hartford, Conn., and was born at Waterford, New London County, Conn., Dec. 21, 1797. His father was born in 1763 at Scotland, Conn. And emigrated to Butternuts, Otsego county, where James spent most of his early life. While a young man he was a clerk for Ayrault & Co., at Geneva. He came to Eddytown in August 1824, a partner of AYRAULT. Sometime before AYRAULT sent a stock of goods there in charge of one HOWE, occupying the old J. J. PEASE stand. Mr. HUNTINGTON took charge of the business and continued it many years, after a short period on his own account. He was fair and correct in his dealing and became wealthy as a tradesman. He retired as a farmer living some years in and near Eddytown and subsequently moved to Dundee, where he ahs resided about 15 years, a citizen held in high esteem. He was a leading member of the Whig party, and was supervisor of Starkey several times. In 1855 he was elected to the State Senate from the district composed of Yates, Seneca and Tompkins counties. He married first in 1826, Julia, daughter of Amasa HOLDEN. They were married by Rev. Samuel WHITE. She died in 1832 and he married a second wife in 1833, Cynthia TUTTLE of Watertown, NY. She was a widow of his brother, Nathaniel and had two sons by her former marriage, Eugene and Nathaniel. She also had another son by a still previous marriage, Newman C. PORTER. James HUNTINGTON’S children were by his first marriage, George P.; by the second, Henry M., Mary P. and Cynthia.
George P. born in 1826 lives single in Minnesota. Henry M. born in 1835, lives single in Minnesota. Mary P. born in 1841, married William H. SAWYER.
Cynthia born in 1843, married Edward A. HOTCHKISS, and Editor in Minnesota.
Eugene HUNTINGTON born in 1823, married Emeline, daughter of Hallam HUNTINGTON and resides at Winebago city, Minnesota.
Nathaniel born in 1825 has resided in New York City.
Newman C. PORTER is a wealthy merchant at Terre Haute, Indiana.
In the year 1800, Abner HURD and Simeon, Matthew and Reuben ROYCE formed a prospecting party that came to view the Genesee country. The next year together with a little colony of relatives, they settled in Frederickstown, at the place now know as Eddytown. In this pioneer company were Abner HURD and five sons, with his son in law, Simeon ROYCE and two children, Reuben HENDERSON with his wife and two children and Reuben ROYCE.
Abner HURD was born in Woodbury, Conn., in 1747 and moved thence to Sandgate, VT, and from there to what is now Starkey. He was an excellent New England character and he was distinguished as a moral, religious, civil and industrious man. He bought a considerable amount of land on the Lawrence Tract, (lot 12 of Watson’s Purchase.) He built the first saw mill at Big Stream. In religious meetings he was a leader of the singing. He kept a public house, and at his house, the first town meeting in Reading was held. His farm was half a mile south of Eddytown where Thomas LAMOUREAUX now resides. He died suddenly, sitting in his chair. His children were Timothy and Sarah by his first marriage, and Roswell, Sherman, Ransom, Samuel and Aaron, by his second.
Timothy HURD, born in 1775, married in 1793 Mabel, daughter of Andrew BOOTH. She was born in 1778. They settled at Eddytown in 1802, their farm embracing the site of that village. They had a house at first near the present site of the Presbyterian church. In 1806 he erected a large house which he occupied several years as a tavern. The same edifice is now the residence of Egbert GULICK. In Sept 1804, an infant son of Timothy and Mabel HURD, named John Kirby, died and was buried in a cemetery on the farm of Simeon ROYCE, now owned by James C. HENDERSON. In 1806 Timothy HURD sold ten acres from his farm on the road that ran east from Isaac LANNING’S blacksmith shop to the Lake, to John SEARS, who built the first grist mill in the town on a small stream, running through his place. He also built a house there. Some years later he sold his mill and premises back to Mr. HURD, who subsequently sold the mill and four acres of land to the father of Jephtha EARL of Benton, a distiller, for 1,300 gallons of whisky. On his way home with a sleigh load of the whiskey, while descending the hill at the Friend’s Mill, the fore-board of his sleigh went out followed by two barrels of the whisky, which thus escaped beyond recovery.
Timothy HURD was a captain in the War of 1812, and afterwards Colonel of the 81st Regiment of infantry. Still later, he was General of the 1st Brigade, consisting of Steuben and Allegany counties. He was a member of the constitutional convention of 1821, and was a supervisor of Reading when the town was divided. He had held the office six years consecutively at that time. Of the Methodist Church, he was a prominent and consistent member. The first grist mill on Big Stream was built by him, on the road leading to the head of the Lake, in 1811. This mill was burned in 1827 and he built another on the same site which was also burned in 1847.His wife died in 1842, at the age of 64 years, and he subsequently married the widow of Sherman HURD. He died in 1848, and she now resides at Rock Stream. He was a man of strong will, a good neighbor and valuable citizen.
The children of his first marriage were Harry, Rochester, John K., Mary, Abner, Rebecca, Caroline, Electa, Janet and Seymour. Harry born in 1799, married in 1821, Fanny, daughter of Joshua TUTHILL. They were married by Elder Abner CHASE. As early as 1820 he was cornet of a company in the 10th Regiment of Calvary. Subsequently as Captain of the same company he was a popular and accomplished officer. A devoted Christian and a good man, he died in 1844. His widow still survives.
Rochester, born in 1801 in Vermont, married at Geneva in 1823, Abigail B., daughter of Matthew LUM. She was born in 1803. He owned a farm in Reading and resided there many years. He died in 1865. Their children were: Harry S., Eliza O., Mary J. and Caroline. Harry and Mary died young. Eliza O., born in 1824, married Henry ROBERTS in 1845. Their children were, Helen E. Horace G., and Henry Hurd. Caroline married David CULVER a son of Elisha CULVER in 1848. She died in 1852. They had a daughter, Delia C.
Mary HURD born in 1805 was the wife of Gilbert HATHAWAY.
Abner HURD, born in 1807, married Sarah, daughter of Josiah REEDER. He was Captain of the same Company previously commanded by Harry, and was an excellent officer held in high esteem by the troop. Their children were: Horatio G., Martha, Mary, Janet, George, Mabel and Fanny. Horatio G. married Catharine, daughter of Joseph BELLIS of Eddlytown. He and his sister Mabel, residing with their uncle, George S. REEDER, are the only descendants of General Timothy HURD, now living in Eddytown. Martha married Andrew ROBERTS, son of James ROBERTS of Reading. Mary married John W. MORRIS, a successful business man at Big Stream Point. Janet married Jared SLEEPER of Schulyer Co. George married Clarissa WILMOTT, and Fanny married Newton WILMOTT and both reside in Starkey.
Rebecca born in 1810, married John BOGERT, many years a merchant at Dresden, and a prominent and influential citizen of that place. He moved to Iowa and died there. Their children were, Jane, Caroline M., Nettie, Isaac and William. Caroline was the second wife of George W. SIMMONS.
Caroline HURD born in 1813, married John R. MC LEAN of Dresden. They live near Elgin, Ill. Their children are Jane, Mary and John.
Electa born in 1816, married Caleb GOUNDRY, a former merchant at Dresden, now residing at Marshall, Mich.
Janet born in 1818, married Henry SHERMAN. They reside at Elgin, Ill. Their children are George, Caroline, Martin and Nettie.
Seymour HURD born in 1821, married Rebecca, daughter of Hiram BELL of Dundee. They had a daughter Mary. He has a second wife, Charlotte BUNDY, and resides at Lima, NY.
Ransom HURD settled on a farm near his father, and built a house where Thomas LAMOUREAUX now resides. He married Rebecca STILSON, who died in 1822, aged 22 years. He subsequently moved out of the county.
Sherman HURD first settled on the farm now owned by William E. GAVRIET. He married in 1808, Sarah HURD, his cousin. They lived many years in Gorham, where he died a highly respected citizen.
Roswell and Samuel HURD settled in Steuben County.
Aaron HURD married Lucy, daughter of Reuben THOMAS. Their children were, Roswell T., Abner, Pamelia, Ferris P., Rosetta J., and William T. Abner and Rosetta J. died young, and Pamelia at aged 23 years.
Roswell T. married Maria, daughter of Israel DAVIDSON of Reading. Their children are, Rosetta J., Olive A., Henry w. and Byron L. They reside at Watkins.
Ferris P. HURD born in 1823, married Amanda, daughter of Amasa A. FRENCH of Wheeler. Her mother was Sally, daughter of John SEARS, whose wife was Deborah ROYCE, a cousin of Mrs. Rhoda COWING. Mr. HURD has been many years a prominent resident of Jerusalem, to which town he has recently returned, after a residence of a few years in Watkins. He had been three times supervisor of the town, and two years clerk of the Board.
William T. born in 1834, married Phebe A., daughter of William P. HIBBARD of Jerusalem. Aaron HURD first resided a little south of Rock Stream, then in the Andrews settlement in Reading till 1840, after which he lived at Altay (Schuyler Co., NY) and died there in 1859. His wife died in 1863.
Richard HURD, a relative of the preceding family was a native of Litchfield, Conn., born in 1751. He married Mary LACY of the same place, and moved to Sandgate, VT., where he was a farmer, miller, and merchant and 19 years a member of the Vermont Legislature. In 1808 he settled in Reading at Rock Stream, where he was a farmer, miller, merchant and had a distillery and ashery. The mercantile firm at one time consisted of himself, his sons Philo and Richard and Joseph S. JACKSON, did as much business as any similar concern ever did in the old town of Reading. Richard HURD died in 1827. His children were Rhoda, Thadeus, Rebecca, Simeon, Philo, Mary and Richard. Rhoda was the wife of Joseph S. JACKSON, and is still living in Michigan. Thadeus married Ruth Em. HURD, and moved to Springfield, PA, where both died. Rebecca married Eliphalet CLARK and moved to Oho. Simeon married Rebecca JONES. He as an active and popular young man. He was Adjudant of the old 81st Regiment many years. He died at Rock Stream.
Philo married Helen LORD. He was a man of military tastes and was captain of the first artillery company in that town, which was organized by himself. He as also Colonel of the 81st Regiment. Among his children are Gen. Gilbert HURD of Springfield, PA, and Thomas L. HURD, Homeophatic physician at Rock Stream. The former was made General of the First Brigade about 1840. Hiland G. WOILCOTT was a member of his staff, and Harvey G. STAFFORD was then Colonel of the old 206th Regiment of Infantry. Col. Philo HUD died in 1850, and his wife eight years later.
Mary HURD was the wife of Gilbert HATHAWAY Sr.
Richard HURD Jr., married Deborah, daughter of Caleb FULKERSON. Among their children are Byrant R., and Richard, ministers of the Christian Church. Richard HURD, their father, was a man of social and genial qualities, a general favorite with children.
Nathaniel HUSON was born in Fredericksburg, NY in 1767 and married Anna SPINK born in 1770. She died in 1798. He had a second wife, Betsey WARREN She was born in 1764 and they were married in 1799 at Hillsdale, NY. She died in 1836. His third wife was Phebe BOYD, widow of Jacob CRAWFORD. She was born in 1786. They were married in 1836. He died in 1847. He came to Starkey, then Reading, in 1818, settled on the first farm north of the corporation of Dundee and resided there through life. His children by the first marriage were, Ruth, Elijah, Calvin, Betsey and Richard; by the second marriage, Samuel, Nathaniel, Anna and Sally.
Ruth born in 1790, married Judson MILLARD. They came to Starkey quite early and lived on Millard St. Dundee, which took its name from him, where he was a prosperous farmer and a good citizen. Their children were Anna, Lewis M., Jane and Squier. Anna married Robert, brother of Eli TOWNSEND. Lewis M. married Harriet, daughter of Richard HENDERSON Sr. Jane married Franklin HOLDEN. They have a daughter , Hattie. Squier married Emily PHILLIPS.
Elijah born in 1792, married Alzada TYLER in Columbia Co. He settled in “Beartown” in 1818, on the farm afterwards long occupied by Charles HAUSE. He moved west many years ago and died in Illinois. His children were Nelson, Richard, Judson, Louisa, Semantha, and Burgess. Nelson born in 1816, married in 1836, Alzada, daughter of Charles TRUSEDELL. He died in 1838 leaving a daughter, Janett, born in 1837. Janett married John J. HUMPHRIES in Starkey in 1861. They live in Elgin, Ill and their children are Alice, Arthur and John. Alzada married a second husband, William E. GABRIEL. Richard HUSON married Saray TYLER and lives in Illinois. Judson married Ann, sister of Harvey G. STAFFORD. Louisa married Martial H. BOOTH. Semantha married Gabriel TORRANCE. Burgess married and lives in Illinois.
Calvin born in 1794, came to Starkey in 1818, living sometimes on the next east and west road south of “Beartown.” He then moved to the town of Seneca, and resided there till after the death of his father, whose place he then bought, and lived thereon till near his death in 1869. His wife whom he married in Columbia county in 1817, was Betsey CREGO, who survives him living in Starkey. He was a soldier in the War of 1812 and a Democrat of the strictest sect. Their children were Jane, Susan, David C., Calvin, William H., Eli T., Emeline, Elizabeth, George E., Lewis M., Clark, Samuel, Charles, Mary Ann and James K.P.
Jane married James BEATTIE. They live in the town of Seneca and have two children, John and Lizzie. Susan married Haines CLARK and their children are Mary and Rosalie. David C. married Margaret ROBSON of Seneca. Their children are John R., Calvin J. and Mary Jane. David C. died in California and his widow with her children resides in Penn Yan.
Calvin HUSON Jr., was a lawyer of good
reputation, resided at Rochester and in 1856 was elected District Attorney of
Monroe county. He died at Richmond,
VA, a rebel prisoner, in November 1861. He
was captured by the rebels at the battle of Bull Run (Manassas), where he was
present as a spectator. His
wife was Catharine MILLER and their children were De Lancey, Clara, Hattie,
Hobart and Katy.
William H. married (Mary) Emma REED. He kept a public house at Washington during the war of the Rebellion and is now the keeper of a public house at Starkey Station. Their children are Josephine, Cass, Martha and Mary (twins). Josephine married John MALONEY and has a daughter, Emma. Eli T. died in California. Emeline married Uriah HAIR. Elizabeth married David CLARK. George E. married Lucy EASTON in Illinois. Lewis M. married Jane, niece of Gov. MACOMBER of Washington territory. Clark married Anna SHIMPF, a German girl. They live in Starkey and have two children, Frank and John. Samuel was a Union soldier and was killed at the battle of Shilo in 1862. Charles married Mary TERRY. They live in Starkey and their children are Charles T. and John B. Mary Ann married John GRAY of Groveland, NY. Their children are Samuel, John and Harry. James K.P. was a Union soldier and was killed in battle at Gettysburg.
Betsey born in 1795 is the wife of Eli TOWNSEND.
Richard born in 1798, married Rebeca, daughter of Samuel KRESS Sr., They reside in Dundee where he was a Homeopathic physician. They moved to Kansas about 1856, where they still reside. Their children were Eliza Ann, Catharine and Samuel K. Eliza Ann was the wife of Edward HOOGLAND for some years well known in Yates County as the editor of the Dundee Record. He died in Kansas, leaving a daughter, Mary. Catharine was the first wife of James SPICER and died leaving one daughter. Samuel K. married Polly Ann, daughter of John SPICER. He was a Homeopathic physician and moved to Kansas.
Samuel HUSON born in 1801, married first, Mary Ann, daughter of Samuel HARPENDING. He had a second wife, Rachel COSAD, cousin of his first wife. He was long a merchant in Dundee and prosperous in business. George W. SIMMONS and Augusts MALTBY at different times were his partners. He died in 1870 and his wife survives him. Their children were Larissa and Mary.
Nathaniel, born in 1804, married Ann, daughter of Tewalt SWARTS 2nd. He was a farmer living near Dundee, where he died recently. Their children were Eliza M., Sally A., Emeline, Matilda, Nancy J., and Susan A. Eliza M. married Joshua, son of Daniel RAPLEE. They had a son Nathaniel. She married a second husband, Alonzo EATON. Sally A. married James SWARTHOUT and they have two children. Emeline married David SWARTHOUT and they have one child. Matilda married Oliver, son of Joshua RAPLEE. Nancy J. married Thomas ROBSON. Susan A. married William WORTMAN.
Anna born in 1808, married Alonzo SIMMONS.
Sally born in 1811, married in 1834, Charles E. TRUESDELL who was also born in 1811. They reside in Eddytown and have a son, Warren HUSON, born in 1836, who married in 1867, Minnie ROBINSON, and resides in Syracuse. Charles E. TRUESDELL was a son of Charles TRUESDELL and Semantha TYLER, his wife.
Burgess TRUESDELL who was a son of Josiah TRUESDELL, and a cousin of Charles E., was for many ears a merchant at Dundee and Starkey Corners, and a leading citizen. He built the public house which was burned down where the ELLIS house now stands.
William HUTCHINSON came to Starkey in 1818. His wife was Polly CREGO, sister of Mrs. Calvin HUSON. They settled on the farm now occupied by Ezra MC ALPINE, which he bought of Henry CLARK, next adjoining that first settled on by Calvin HUSON. After some 20 years residence there, they moved to the town of Seneca. They had a son, Hamilton, who resides in Seneca.
Francis IRWIN was the original setter on the place now owned and occupied by Peter PUTNAM. He traded in 1815 that farm with Noadiah SHANNON, for another
HTML by Dianne
These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.
Copyright 2005 - 2008
[NY History and Genealogy] [ALHN]