Civil War Soldier's Obituaries 

Contributed by Ron Hanley & Dianne Thomas

Transcribed and owned by Dianne Thomas

Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy! 
If you would like to add or to link Ontario County data to this site please contact me. Copyright resides with the contributor.

  Return to Home Page                             Return to Military Index

A quote of President Abraham Lincoln 

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."


ANDREWS,  ALBERT S.  -  Ontario Co. Times, Canandaigua, NY   Wednesday, November 4, 1863,   Pg 3, col 1

Listed in a report of the 148th N Y S V of  dead and wounded, under the command of Col Wm. Johnson, was the following:

Albert S. Andrews, private, Co. D., head and shoulder, severely wounded.


BEEMAN Alvah Martin - Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY     Wednesday    May 6,  1863    Pg. 3

Another Soldier Gone - Alvah Martin, son of Nelson and Hannah BEEMAN of South Bristol, died in St. Joseph's hospital, Philadelphia, on Tuesday morning, April 28, 1863, aged 23 year.  The deceased enlisted in the Naval service of the United States in May 1861 and was wounded in the breast at the storming of Fort St. Philip, before New Orleans, in consequence of which he obtained a discharge and returned home.  He could not be contented to remain inactive but a short time and determined to re-enlist, even before properly recovering from his wound.

Having left home with this intention, he was prostrated at New York with an affection of the lungs for about two months.  After visiting St. Thomas, W. I., he thought his health sufficiently improved and re-enlisted the service in February last.  The next information received from his stated that he was in the above named hospital, sick with the measles, and a few days more, brought the sad news of his death.

The attendant, Pastor Rev., A. MANSHIP wrote words of consolation to the afflicted parents.  "Many and deep are the wounds received by loving hearts at home in the course of this unrighteous rebellion!  Thus are the young, the strong, the brave, hurried from our midst, leaving frequently the aged, the helpless and broken hearted, to struggle with the discouragements of life.  May they trust in the Divine promises to the bereaved, the widow and the fatherless, and receive from their fellows the full measure of that sympathy they need and more than deserve." 


BUTLER, Joseph - Ontario Republican Times, Wed, Nov 27, 1861  Pg 3

Joseph BUTLER of East Bloomfield, who enlisted as a volunteer in a Lima company, attached to Col SLOCUM'S regiment, and who was reported among the killed at the Battle of Bull Run, passed through here last Monday, on his way home.  He was wounded and taken prisoner on the occasion referred to and has since been confined at Richmond, until released on parole.  He was struck... (cut off) 


CHENEY, Rev. George N. -  Ontario Republican Times, Wed, June  17, 1863

Death of a Clergyman - The Rev. George N. CHENEY died at Branchport, Yates County on the 12th instant. (June 12, 1863)  The deceased was a son of Dr. E. W. CHENEY, of this place (Canandaigua), and formerly, and for a period of about 10 years, Pastor of Trinity Church in Rochester.  Shortly after the organization of the 33rd New York Regiment, Mr. CHENEY received the appointment of Chaplin, and filled that position till admonished by failing health that he was not physically capable of enduring such hardships.  Upon resigning the chaplainry, he returned to his pastoral charge in Rochester, but subsequently accepted a call from the Episcopal Church at Branchport, where he was soon prostrated by the disease which terminated his life.  He had many friends here and was very highly esteems by all who knew him.  He was 36 years old and leaves a wife and child. 


CORNELL, Mervin Eugene - Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY     Wednesday    October 15,  1862    Pg. 3

Captain Mervin Eugene CORNELL, killed in the Battle of Antietam, on the 17th of September, ult., was born in the town of Bristol, Ontario county on the 11th day of April 1842, consequently was twenty years and five months old. 

When the first proclamation of President LINCOLN was issued, calling upon the North to spring to arms for the defense of our beleaguered capitol, and to put down the then young rebellion, Captain CORNELL was among the very first that responded.  Actuated by an exalted patriotism he did not wait for place or power, but with a calm determination and a fervent love of his country, on the 19th of April, 1861, offered himself as a private in a company of light artillery, which was being organized in the city of Cleveland, Ohio, where he was then residing.

The company was rapidly filled up and known as the "Cleveland Light Artillery," was among the very first that crossed the Potomac River, to set its foot upon the "sacred soil" of Virginia.

With this battery attached to MILROY'S command, he took part in the successive battles of Philippi, Laurel Hill, rich Mountain, Cheat River and Garrack's Ford, each of which was a splendid victory, and east a brilliant light over that otherwise unfortunate and gloomy period of the war; and resulted in expelling the rebels form Western Virginia, and making it in fact, free.  Before the end of this campaign, CORNELL, for his coolness and intrepidity, was promoted to a 2nd Lieutenancy and was given in command of two guns of the battery.  

At the close of the three months, with his company, he returned to Cleveland and was discharged.  Coming to New York, he had concluded not again to enter the service, but to prosecute his literary studies at Genesee College, being already well advanced in the academicals course.  But a fresh call for troops and the exigency of his country again aroused that sentiment of patriotism which had been permitted to slumber for a moment and with renewed determination, and with a clear understanding of the great necessity, beautifully illustrated by patriotic letters written to his friends at that period, he again offered himself to his country.  Without other aid than his own enthusiasm, and the services of his brothers, George and Stephen, he commenced last winter to recruit a company of infantry in the western part of Ontario and eastern towns of Livingston counties.  Toiling on without the impetus to recruiting furnished by liberal local bounties, and War Committees, early in the spring of 1862 he found himself at the head of a company of young men, having his brother, Stephen S., for his 2nd Lieutenant.  He immediately entered the service with his company in the 102nd Regiment, VAN BUREN'S Light Infantry, commanded by Col. VAN BUREN, of NY.

The regiment was ordered to Virginia, where it was attached to the army corps of Gen. BANKS.  While his regiment was in Shenandoah Valley, Capt. CORNELL performed the duties of major, that officer acting in the place of the lieutenant-colonel, who had resigned.  On the 9th of August, the terrible battle of "Cedar Mountain" was fought, in which the 102nd too, a prominent and active part, having many men killed and wounded.  General PRINCE, the division commander was taken prisoner.  The former experience of Captain CORNELL was of great value to him in this battle and he received the compliments of his superior officers for his coolness and gallantry.  

Upon the retreat of the army from the Rapidan, he acted in the responsible position of Brigade Quartermaster, upon the staff of Col. VAN BUREN, who was then acting as Brigadier - General.  Upon the re-organization of the troops before Washington, it devolved upon the  102nd to form a part of the grand army whose service it was to expel that rebel invaders from the soil of Maryland.  And the last sad scene in the short eventful life of your young hero, drew near.

As a part of FRANKLIN'S corps, the 102nd Regiment went into the terrible battle of Antietam.  Capt. CORNELL, acting as Major- (cut off) ..... GREEN, to which he belonged, was ordered to drive a force of rebels from a piece of wood, from whence they were sorely annoying our troops.  

The brigade consisted of four regiments, 102nd NY, 3rd Maryland, and the 109th and 111th Pennsylvania.  They proceeded until within about 200 feet of the woods, when the rebels poured a terrible volley into their very faces.  The right of the line, composed of the Pennsylvania and Maryland regiments, were thrown into confusion, which communicated itself to the 102nd - Capt. CORNELL, with a quick eye, seeing the crisis, threw himself to the front, waved his sword and called to his men, "Don't falter; don't fall back.  Come on boys, follow me," and thus - "foremost fighting, fell."

While in advance in full dress, a regulation uniform, he presented a conspicuous mark.  A rebel bullet pierced his brain, he threw up his arms, reeled, fell in the arms of one of his men, who sprung forward to receive him, and died without a groan.  The brigade rallied, drove the rebels from the wood and beyond and held the ground thus gallantly won.

How bravely, how gloriously did this young soldier die, throwing himself fearlessly into the very jaws of death, that he might turn the tide of battle.  Laid himself upon the sacrificial altar of his country, a willing offering for her salvation.  When the record shall be made up, what boon shall requite the sacrifices of such young hearts.  Forever green shall be their memories, and the richest measure of their country's glory shall be theirs.  And amid the brilliant and cherished galaxy, sparkling with such names as LYON, WINTHROP, ELLSWORTH, BAKER and young MC COOK, not he least shall be the name of Mervin Eugene CORNELL, who thus gallantly gave his young life for his country upon the bloody field of Antietam.

Brought from the shallow burial made by his soldier's bayonets, while yet the roar of battle thundered around them, a fitting requiem for the brave soldier, he now peacefully sleeps in the green graveyard of his native home, where his kindred shall erect above him, the brilliant record of his short, eventful and glorious life.


DAVENPORT, Norman - Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY   Wednesday,    January 21, 1863

At Union Mills, VA, January 6th, 1863, of chronic dysentery, Mr. Norman DAVENPORT, Company F, 126th Regiment, NYSV, formerly of West Bloomfield. 


GOODING, Russell W. Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY   Wednesday,    March 5, 1862 

At Campbell hospital, Washington, DC, on the 4th instant, Horace R. GOODING of Co. H., 14th Regiment, NYSV.  The deceased was a son of Russell W. GOODING of East Bloomfield.  


GREEN, Solomon - Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY   Wednesday,    January 21, 1863

At Union Mills, VA, January 13, 1863, of measles and eryalpelas, Solomon GREEN, aged 22 years.  He was a member of Co. D (late Capt Phillip's Company), 126th Regiment NYSV, and was one of those young patriots who responded to his country's call and risked his life for his country's cause.  As a solider he was always prompt and faithful in the performance of his duties and he won the respect and esteem of his officers and comrades in arms.  He bravely faced the swift messengers of death on the battlefield, unhurt, but at last fell a victim to a more insidious foe; and he now rests by the side of others of his fellow soldiers, whom no martial notes can awake to action again.  (listed under Gorham)


HERENDEEN, Orren - Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY      Wednesday July 15, 1863

GETTYSBURG -  Mr. Levi HERENDEEN had also proceeded to the scene of action to remove his brother, Captain Orren HERENDEEN, who was also killed in that battle.  Much difficulty has been experienced by those who have gone tot he filed in getting there. It is to be sincerely hoped that the remains of both these young men can be reached and returned to their friends.  Their fate is sad, but their record, is glorious.   (town of Farmington)


same paper  July 29, 1863 - In battle, At Gettysburg, July 3, 1863, in the 28th year of his age, Capt. Orrin J. HERENDEEN of Company H., 126th NYSV.  One by one, the names to this mournful record are added.  Tearfully sorrowing  we lay their remains in their last resting place and all over the land, marble shafts are raised to commemorate our fallen brave.  

Prominent among the first citizens of Farmington, stood Orrin J. HERENDEEN.  Possessed of those qualities of mind which enabled him to take a strong practical common sense view of a subject, he had quietly obtained a position in his native town which was, for one of his age, flattering indeed, and gave promise of realization of the hops of a just and commendable ambition. He was possessed also in a large degree, of those kindly, genial feelings and of that sympathetic nature which won for him a large circle of friends and a friendship once formed was maintained to the last.  Each repeated call upon the patriotism of the northern people stirred anew within his bosom that strong love of country which he possessed.  And when finally last autumn he laid aside the implements of husbandry and assumed the sword, he was not promoted by a desire for the personal aggrandizement or love of adventure.  He saw that the institutions of his country, which he revered, were imperiled at the hands of a mercenary enemy and he volunteered his services for their protection, fully indoctrinated with the idea that the success of the rebellion would be the subversion of all good government and the inauguration of the reign of anarchy and misrule.

He rapidly recruited a company, which was organized as a part of the 126th NYSV and soon found himself in active service at Harper's Ferry.  The history of that campaign is known to all.  In the battle, Captain HERENDEEN lost a Lieutenant and several men killed and wounded.  He was commended by those who saw him on that day, for his intrepid coolness and bravery.

At Gettysburg, he had passed through the severest of the battle unharmed, and afterwards fell in a skirmish mortally wounded by a ball form a sharpshooter.  He fell at his post of duty, he flinched at no hardship, he faltered before no danger.  Bravely for his country he laid down his life.  In his country's storied urn his name shall be gathered with the fallen brave and crowned with the honor due the self-sacrificing love he bore her.

His remains were brought from the filed by Dr. W. Fitch CHENEY, and on Monday the 27th instant, his funeral was solemnized at the meeting house near his late residence.  A large concourse of bereaved relatives and mourning friends assembled to pay the last tribute of respect and love to the departed.  The ceremonies were conducted by Dr. O .E. DAGGETT and there in the rural cemetery, kind friends laid down to its last sleep which death alone permits, all that remains of a generous friend and a brave soldier


HOUSELL, Captain C. W. - Capt. Chares W. HOUSELL, who was reported among the wounded in the battle in front of Petersburg, on the 27th of October, has since died from the effects of his wound.  He was a son of Joseph HOUSELL, Esq., of this town, who had once before in the progress of the war been called to mourn a similar loss, and who has still another of his cherished ones exposed to the pitiless casualties of war.

It appears that the deceased was hit by a shot just below the left knee joint, the ball passing downward and out at the foot.  At first the wound was not considered dangerous, and it was thought he would soon recover the use of his injured limb.  But after a few days, more unfavorable symptoms were developed.  It became apparent that he could not long survive and information to that effect was sent to his friends at home.  His brother immediately started to go to him and fortunately arrived the morning before he died, on the 11th ultimate, but only in time to receive a glance of recognition and a farewell pressure of the hand.

The remains were brought home for interment, arriving here on the 16th ult., and the funeral exercises took place at the residence of his fatter on the afternoon of the same day.

The deceased was a member of Co. G., 148th regiment, NYSV.  He entered the service in the capacity of Sergeant in the fall of 1862.  From that position, he was promoted to Orderly Sergeant, then Lieutenant and finally, Captain.  He was in command of his company when he received the wound which caused his death, and a Captain's commission had been out for him, although he had not yet received it.  Thus, another of our most promising young men has fallen, while nobly sustaining the old flag and doing his duty as a patriot and soldier.  God grant that the sacrifice be not in vain. 


HYLAND, John M. - Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY   Wednesday,    March 5, 1862 

(first part cut off) .. the mortal remains of our young friend were committed to their final resting place - "earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust," amid the tears of sorrowing relatives and a parting volley of rifles was fired over the grave, when the vast assembly slowly dispersed to the homes he offered his life to defend.  Life is not measured by years, but by good deeds.  "Honor and shame from no condition rise, Act well your part, there all the honor lies."

At a public meeting of the citizens of Canadice, held at the Methodist Episcopal Church, on motion of A. W. AUSTIN, Esq., the following resolution was unanimously adopted:  Resolved, that the widow and friends of Mr. HYLAND are entitled to the sincere sympathy of the public, in this hour of keen affliction; and that the War Committee be requested to convey to them the expression of this meeting.

In performing this duty, the committee deem it proper to say that it is doubtless, a counseling reflection and one alike honorable to both parties, that our deceased friend enlisted in this noblest of human undertakings with his wife's cordial assent.  His country called: and he went forth to battle bravely for the maintenance of the Right of Self Government by the People, and to scourge back to their dens the enemies of mankind.  The conduct of these outlaws admits of no apology!

"Not all that heralds rake from coffined clay, Nor florid prose, nor honeyed lies of rhyme, Can blazon evil deeds, or consecrate a crime."

That the casualties of disease intercepted his march to the battlefield, was his misfortune, not his fault, and he is none the less entitled to our respectful admiration.

In after times, when this hydra-headed rebellion shall have been buried so deeply and effectually as to know no resurrection, it will be matter of just pride to have been connected with those who sacrificed ignoble case, the allurements of home, life itself, to consolidate and prefect our Free In situations, and to assure to all coming generations the Divine birth right of Freedom. With sentiments of respect and esteem, we are,




War Committee



KIMBALL, Julius - Private Julius KIMBALL of Co. I., 24th NY Cavalry, died at the Niagara Falls House in this village on Tuesday, March 1, 1864.  The 24th was raised in Auburn, and passed through this village last week en route to Washington.  while here, young KIMBALL was taken ill, and became too feeble to go on with the regiment.  He was carried to the Niagara Falls House, kept by Mr. Joseph MASSETH, where he received from the kind hearted proprietor and his attentive servants, the most tender and unremitting care.  As soon as the ladies of the village became acquainted with his condition, his room was cheered with their presence and like guardian angles they watched over him day and night.   His father arrived from Paris, Orange County, the day before he died.  The bereaved father desires, in a public manner, to thank the good ladies and gentlemen who so kindly ministered to the comfort of his son in his last hours and also to Mr. MASSETH, of the Niagara House, for his kindness and liberality. 

LAMPORT,  William T. - Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY   Wednesday    December 31, 1862     Pg 2  Col 6      

Died at Union Mills, Virginia, on the 18th inst. of measles, William T. Lamport, son of Wm. H. and M. E. Lamport, and member of Co. D. 126th Regt., N.Y.S.Vols, aged 19 years, 1 month and 21 days. (Canandaigua)


MASSETH, John - Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY   Wednesday   July 22, 1863

At Camp Hamilton, near Fortress Monroe, Va., on Sunday evening last, July 19th, John MASSETH of the Signal Corps, in Gen. Foster's command, USA, and late of Canandaigua, aged 21 years.  The subject of this notice was a brother of Joseph MASSETH, proprietor of the Niagara House, in this village, and of George MASSETH, who was in the Federal army at the first Bull Run disaster in 1861, and whose indomitable energy and noble and courageous conduct rescued his friend, Lieut. FLEMING of Rochester, from the very door of death, where he found him by the way side, wounded, during the retreat after that disastrous engagement and bore him to a place of safety.  John enlisted as a private in Capt. Griswold's company of the 148th Regt. of volunteers, in August last, which left Geneva early in September.  Arrived at Norfolk, Va., the second lieut. of his company, Henry R. MURRAY, also of this village, was detached from service in the regiment and made Signal Officer, and was directed by the commanding General to select his own aids, and form a Signal Corps for service in front of the army.  Young MASSETH, Hiram D. GOODWIN Jr. and Cornelius PALMER, all of this village, were chosen by Lieut. MURRAY; and their exploits between Suffolk, where they were soon stationed, and the Blackwater, the headquarters of the rebel army, have often been told in the telegraph dispatches from that section.  The army evacuated Suffolk, a few weeks since, and were transferred to the towns near Fortress Monroe, where General Dix being in command of that department, made his recent Peninsula campaign to White House, Va., in which the Signal Corps performed almost Herculean labors during the two or three weeks of the expedition.  Returning to Yorktown some ten or twelve days since, the deceased was attached with some disease which we have not yet been able to learn, and has passed away from his country, friends and companions in arms - the latter who loved him none the less, than a brother, for his qualities of heart, and kind and generous disposition, which always marked his intercourse and career.  

His brother Joseph, being telegraphed to on Saturday pm of his illness, started on the evening train to go to him, and early on Monday morning, before he had time to arrive there, another dispatch was received here, announcing his death as above stated.  It is supposed his remains will be brought on immediately and buried in this village, or perhaps in Rochester, where his mother resides


MILLER, Alfred P. -  Ontario County Times, Canandaigua, NY     Wednesday    September 2,  1862

DEATH OF A SOLDIER - The Palmyra Courier of last week says: Orderly Sergeant Alfred P. MILLER, oldest son of Mr. Peter D. MILLER of Manchester, died at Gettysburg on Thursday, August 20th of wounds received in the late battle.  Young MILLER was an ardent patriot and together with James BUMP and William TILDEN, entered the service in August 1862, joining Captain SEITH'S Company, attached to the 111th Regiment.  BUMP, TILDEN and MILLER were from the town of Manchester, and we believe the only representatives from that town in the Regiment.  But sad to relate, all three have laid down their lives on the altar of their country.  The funeral for young MILLER occurred at Port Gibson on Monday last, and was attended by a large concourse of citizens from the neighboring country.  



MUNSON, Buell -   Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY   Wednesday, March 11, 1863; Pg 2, col 7

Died January 2nd, 1863, in Lincoln Hospital, Washington, D. C.,  of wounds received at the battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia, Buell MUNSON, of Company C., 126th Regt. N. Y. S. V., aged 21 years, third son of Frederick MUNSON, of East Bloomfield, NY.

MUNSON, Charles Henry - Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY,  & Ontario Repository  & Messenger, Wednesday  Oct 29, 1862  

Tuesday morning, October 28th, in Canandaigua, Charles Henry MUNSON, son of Luther MUNSON, Esq., of East Bloomfield, in the 25th year of his age.  More than four years ago he settled in Rochester, in the profession of Surgeon Dentist, and became a member of the Central Presbyterian Church, afterwards removing for a time to Pittsburgh. In October 1861, he enlisted in the 85th Regiment of NYS V., Co. B, Capt. CLARK.  After months spent near Washington, and then at Yorktown, he was released from active service in order to take care of the sick, and was at length attacked with typhoid fever, and during two marches carried in an ambulance. 

While ill in a camp hospital, he was taken prisoner by the rebels, narrowly escaping being killed, also by a shell which passed over as he lay down and not being able to stand, was transported to Richmond on a load of muskets. There he remained a prisoner and a sufferer seven weeks, when he was exchanged and brought to New York, where he spent five weeks in the Bellevue Hospital, till able to be removed to the house of his uncle, Sheriff MUNSON, in this village. Here for more than seven weeks past he has had the constant attention of his father, and other relatives and friends, but has been gradually sinking under a species of consumption, from the effects of disease and exposure.  He was known as a young man of worth and promise, beloved by his friends, and is now added to the noble list of the many who have given their lives as sacrifice for their country against the assaults of rebels. In the position of the Christian hope, his heart was resigned and peaceful. To the last his testimony was that he could trust in the Savior whose name he repeatedly said was so sweet.  


OSBORNE, Stephen H. - Ontario County Times, Canandaigua, NY   Wednesday   December 7, 1864

On the 28th day of October last, Stephen H. OSBORNE, a member of Company H, 126th Reg't, NYV, while performing duties of advance picket in front of the 2nd Army Corps, was hit in the head by a ball from the gun of a rebel sharpshooter and instantly killed.

Through the murderous practice of firing on pickets, this promising young soldier has thus been stricken down, causing his companions in arms and friends at home to lament his untimely  death, while his country has lost the services of a strong arm and brave heart, sincerely devoted to its cause.  

Young OSBORNE enlisted from the town of Farmington in the month of August 1862, under the gallant young officer from the same town, who list his life at the battle of Gettysburg, Capt. HERENDEEN,  and stood faithfully by him to the last.  Soon after the battle of Gettysburg, he was compelled by sickness to go to the hospital at Alexandria, where he remained for a long time, suffering from disease he contracted by exposure.  About the time that the army moved to the south side of Petersburg, he joined his regiment, then at the front, and stood manfully at his post through all the hardships of the past summer, and finally died, as a soldier loves to die, with his "musket in his and and his face to the foe."

Upon hearing of his death, his father, Mr. John OSBORNE, a respectable farmer of the town of Farmington, immediately too the necessary steps to procure his remains, and succeeded.  His friends thus had an opportunity of attending his funeral, which took place at his father's residence, November 23rd.  His remains were followed to their resting place by a large number of sorrowing relatives and friends.

PECK, Benjamin - (mentioned in obit for Henry P. SEYMOUR

ROBINSON, Edwin K -  Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY   Wednesday    July 16,  1862 

Died - On Maryland Heights, 29th of June, 1862, in his 24th year, Edwin K. ROBISON, a Quartermaster in the 8th NY Cavalry. A youth of much promise, of rare integrity and thorough manliness, has fallen under the stroke of that malignant fever which assails and destroys the brain.  The old proverb that "Death loves a shining Mark," has here a new illustration.  Its arrow has sought a heart so unsullied, so generous and true, that we are compelled to repine at the providence which sent it.  We bow before the wisdom which has decreed this sad separation, in trust and hope; but our tears will not keep back and our hearts refuse to be tranquil.  All who knew this worthy young man bear voluntary witness to his many virtues.  His character was already strong and upright.  His brow wore the marks of a maturity much above his years and his speech was always that of an earnest and prudent counsellor.  he was a dutiful son, a true hearted brother, a sincerely loyal citizen and a soldier of such stability and worth as the army can ill afford to lose.  It is comforting to his friends that his body came home to await their funeral offices; an the respect which the whole community eagerly paid to his memory is pleasant to contemplate.  Yet the comfort which proceeds from the reflection that he has exchanged the tumult, unkindness and evil of hits life, for the peace, beneficence and holiness of the life immortal, far transcends all others.  May this comfort be abundantly imparted to father, mother, brothers, sisters, and friends, is the prayer of one who shares their grief and is rejoiced with this consolation.   Com. Gypsum, Town of Phelps, NY


ROYCE, George W. -    Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY   Wednesday    December 3,  1862  Pg 3

Private George W. ROYCE, of Company G., 18th Regiment of NYSV, died at the residence of his parents in this village, (Canandaigua) on Sunday evening last.  The deceased was among the first to volunteer in defense of his country's flag, having enlisted under Capt. FAUROT, in the spring of 1861.  He remained with the company until about the first of November, when he was prostrated by disease and placed in one of the military hospitals at Hagerstown, Maryland, where he remained between three and four weeks, suffering severely and receiving only such care as the facilities of a crowded hospital, with an inadequate force of attendants could afford.  Intelligence of his condition reaching his parents here, his mother went immediately to his relief.  she found him very low, but her presence and the desire to come home seemed for a time, to give him strength and inspire the hope of his ultimate recovery.  A furlough was accordingly obtained and the homeward journey commenced.  They arrived on Friday evening.  On Sunday morning, George appeared much better and his physician and friends were encouraged to hope for his speedy restoration to health.  But in the afternoon, he grew suddenly worse and it became evident that he had not many hours to live.  He expired just as the church bells commenced ringing for evening service.

The deceased was 21 years old.  He was the oldest son of Mr. Allin A. ROYCE, long an employee on this paper.  He was a most affectionate and dutiful son, a faithful soldier and a devoted Christian. 


SAGE, Oscar F.  - Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY   Wednesday,    March 5, 1862 

Death of A Soldier - Oscar SAGE of East Bloomfield, died in the hospital at Washington, on the 16th of February, of congestion of the lungs.  He was a member of Capt. CLARKE'S company, 85th Regiment of NYSV.  His remains were brought home for interment.  The funeral was on Saturday last.

SEYMOUR, Henry P. - Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY   Wednesday    August 6, 1862  Pg 3

At Washington, May 15th, of fever contracted at Yorktown, Henry P. SEYMOUR, aged 20 years.  His remains were brought home and buried from the residence of his father, Pierpont SEYMOUR, East Bloomfield, NY, at sunset on the 17th of June, with suitable solemenitics.  On the following day the funeral services of B. (Benjamin) PECK, a member of the same company, whose death has before been noticed, and whose remains were brought from Washington with those of Mr. SEYMOUR, were solemnized and while the places of business were closed, a most appropriate sermon was preached in the Congregational Church, by the Rev. L. CONKLIN in behalf of the friends of both of those young men, to a very large congregation. 

Mr. SEYMOUR was a young man of promise and a model soldier.  He is said to have preserved the neatness of the gentleman amid the rough usage and squalor of camp life .  His promptness at the call of duty and his many amiable and soldierly characteristics endeared him to his officers and companions in arms.  He laid himself a willing sacrifice upon the alter of his country at the call of duty and not from a love of adventure or thirst for military distinction.  He should be remembered among those noble young men who have laid down their lives for us.  May a like spirit of self-sacrifice be found among our young men, until the traitors are overthrown. 



SPRAGUE, James R. - Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY, Wed.,  Nov 5, 1862  Pg 3

Death of a Volunteer - East Bloomfield has lost recently, one of her most promising young men.  James R. SPRAGUE of Co. H, 3rd NY Cavalry, was instantly killed at Washington, North Carolina, October 7th.  He was shot by guerillas, lying in ambush, while posting his piquet.  Mr. SPRAGUE enlisted in the ranks, although as well qualified for a command as any young man in the community.  The patriotism and self-forgetfulness, of one of his superior abilities, education and high moral worth, are worthy of all commendation.  His Captain writes: " He was a soldier of the highest stamp, one who faithfully performed all his duties; whose place in the affections of the men it would be difficult to fill, as he was loved by all as a brother."

He has fallen at his post of duty at the early age of 25 years.  Who can do more than give his young life to his country?


SUPPLEE, Abner - A notice of his death will be found under our Obituary head, was a veteran soldier in the 18th NYSV, Co. G, and served to the expiration of his time.  He was a faithful soldier, mild and modest in manners, amiable in character and loved most by those who knew him best.  He was about to re-enlist when seized by the malignant disease which terminated in death after several weeks of illness.  (I don't have the other article)

STURDEVANT,  Homer Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY     Wednesday    February 11, 1863     Pg 2, col 6       

DIED -  At the convalescent camp, near Alexandria, Virginia, December 28th 1862, of small pox, Homer Sturdevant, Co. F. 126th Regt., N.Y.S. Vols, aged 19 years and 21 days, youngest son of L. and E. L. Sturdevant, Hopewell, NY.


THOMPSON, Samuel M.Ontario County Times, Canandaigua, NY    Wednesday, November 11, 1863

Remains of A Soldier - The remains of Samuel M. THOMPSON of Co. G., 148th Regiment, NYSV, who died in the hospital at Yorktown, VA, have been sent home for interment, arriving this A.M.  Mr. THOMPSON was a printer, and for several months an employee in this office, where he enjoyed the esteem and respect of all with whom he was associated.  His death was sudden, and his friends here had no intelligence of his illness until informed, by telegraph, of his death.  It will be recollected that he was one of the committee appointed by his company to draft resolutions on the occasion of the death of Lieut. Hiram P. BROWN, which were published in this paper last week.  He leaves a wife and one child, who deserve the active sympathy of all our citizens in their hour of bereavement.  The funeral of the deceased  will take place tomorrow afternoon at half past two.



THURBER, Amaziah JWinchester Sun,   Friday,  Feb 5, 1932   Pg 1          by W. C. Furr

UNION SOLDIER PASSES TO REST  -  Amaziah J. THURBER, Veteran of the Civil War, Dies at Home of Grandson Here - 
Amaziah J. THURBER, 91 years old, died suddenly Thursday noon at the home of his grandson, O. S. Hall, 126 South Maple street.
Mr. Thurber was a retired miner, and served with the Union army in the War Between the States.  He was a private in Company G, 87th Infantry and Company A, 188th Infantry of New York, of which state he was a native.   The deceased is survived only by his grandson.
Funeral services will be held Saturday morning at 10:30 o'clock at the Morehead Church of God by the pastor, Rev. T. F. Lyons.  Burial will follow in the Pine Hill cemetery.


UNDERHILL, Henry - Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY     Wednesday    April 1, 1863   Pg. 3

Death of a Volunteer - By a letter from Lieut. George A. SHERMAN of Company K, 126th Regiment, NYSV, we learn that Henry UNDERHILL, formerly  a resident of this village (Canandaigua), died at Centreville, VA, on the 27th instant.  His family, we are informed, received intelligence of the sad event yesterday.  The deceased was a member of Company H, acting as hospital nurse.  He was a man of excellent character, and much esteemed for his sterling integrity and patriotic devotion to his country.  He leaves a wife and several children, dependent upon their own exertions for a living.  They deserve the active sympathy and encouragement of our benevolent citizens.  (per 1860 census, Wife, is Henrietta aged 33; children; George, aged 14, Willard, aged 12, Ella aged 10, Lottie, aged 6, Lizzie aged 3; Henry was a master book binder. 


WHEELER, Charles W.  -  Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY    Wed., July 15, 1863

GETTYSBURG - On Thursday night last, Judge J. C. SMITH left town for the battlefield of Gettysburg, for the purpose of securing the remains of the gallant young Captain WHEELER, (Charles W.) who was killed in the recent battle at that place.  The last reports from the Judge were that he and Judge FOLGER were upon the battlefield, but had not yet found the spot of the Captain's burial.


Same Paper -   Died in Battle at Gettysburg, July 3, 1863, in the 26th year of his age, Captain Charles M. WHEELER, Company K, 126th regiment NYSV and son of Jonas M. WHEELER, Esq., of Canandaigua.  Of all the young men our our village, not one more highly esteemed, or  could be more lamented.  He was born in this village, December 8, 1837 and has always resided here, excepting the four years of his course in Yale college, where he graduated in 1859.  During that time he was the subject of a happy spiritual change, became a member of the college church and has continued to be exemplary in his habits, bringing no discredit on his Christian profession.  Having studied law in the offices of Messrs. Smith & Lapham, he was admitted to the bar in 1861, and has entered upon the practice here, when last autumn he enlisted in the regiment then formed in this vicinity.  He was much in society, and (a fact deserving notice) a favorite among his acquaintances of both sexes.  Good sense and manliness were the foundation of his character.  He was remarkably free from conceit and affectation, upright, ingenuous, considerate and kind, a capable, conscientious and well deserving man in all the relations of life.  He entered the service of his county at this crisis under a sense of duty, and has since borne himself as mindful of the obligation.  When he was chosen Captain of his company, we who knew him said, "He will make a good officer," and he has fulfilled our expectations, first under the disasters that befell the regiment at Harper's Ferry a few days after they received their arms, and now in their gallant fight and victory at Gettysburg.  It is understood that he passed unharmed through the principal action of Friday, and afterwards fell by a ball from a sharpshooter.

His neighbors and this community at large, have been deeply afflicted by the tidings of his death.  His bereaved family, whose pride he was a as a dutiful son and an affectionate brother, have the respectful sympathy of all about them.  That a young man, on whom so many hopes were built, should be snatched away so suddenly form life and its prospects, is one of those mysteries of Providence, (sadly multiplied in deed of late, over our land) which constrain us to bow in wonder and sorrow.  But as his life was honorable, so was his death.  Fitted as he was to live, he was fitted to die.  He has fallen as a patriot and a Christian at his post of duty.  Having been "faithful unto death", we doubt not he has won "the crown of life".  Let his new costly sacrifice quicken and purify the patriotism of survivors, and more our young men, especially, to honorable emulation. 

WILLYS, David SmithOntario County Journal, Canandaigua, NY, Friday     January 22, 1897

On Saturday morning occurred the death of David S. WILLYS a well known businessman and long time resident. He had been in poor physical and mental health for some time past. He was aged 56 years.
Survivors are his widow, one son John N. WILLYS, two daughters, Misses Emily and Mary WILLYS. He was a member of the firm of WILLYS and Hollis Brick Manufacturers. He was a prominent GAR man, having served during the Rebellion in the 27th NY Vol Infantry. There was a largely attended the funeral at the family residence on Pleasant Street.


Same Paper -  Death - At Canandaigua, January 16, 1897, David S. WILLYS, aged 56 years, 1 month.  His body was interred at Woodlawn Cemetery.


ONTARIO REPOSITORY and MESSENGER  Thursday  January 21, 1897  
David S. WILLYS, a long time resident of this village, died Saturday morning of brain trouble resulting from injuries received during the Rebellion, in which he served in Co. G., 27th N. Y. Vols. A native of Bath, he had been in business here about 30 years, being a partner in Willis and Hollis, brick manufacturers. In social and business circles Mr. WILLYS was highly esteemed.
A widow and three children, John N., Emily and Mary, survive. The funeral was conducted by Rev. Lawrence at the Pleasant Street residence Tuesday forenoon.   A. M. Murray Post attending in a body. Mr. WILLYS carried $6,000 life insurance.


WILDER, Augustus T.Ontario Co. Times, Canandaigua, NY     Wednesday,   Nov 11, 1863 

Head Quarters, 4th NYH Art. Ft. Ethan Allen, VA, Nov 6, 1863 - In consideration of the death of Augustus T. WILDER, 1st Sergeant, M. Co., 4th NYH Artillery, who died in hospital at Ft. Ethan Allan, Va., Nov 5, 1863, we the undersigned subscribe the following resolutions:

IResolved, That while we would not murmur at God's mysterious dealings, but would bow at all times in humble submission to his will; yet we feel, deep in our hearts, the less of our student friend and soldier associate.

II. Resolved, That while we bear record to his worth as a companion, scholar and teacher, we witness that all those qualities which made him admired in civil life, he carried to the field; never yielding to the corrupting influence of the camp, but was here the same kind friend, the same sincere Christian.

III. That though he did not fall amid the smoke and din of battle, where the soldier most loves to die, yet his death was none the less glorious; his country non the less served and that though our country has one defender less, Heave, we trust, has one solider more. 

IV.  That we extend our warmest sympathy to the friends and relatives of our departed comrade; and especially would we mingle out tears with those of his mother, in this her hour of deepest grief; asking her to take consolation from the thought that he died in his Country's cause which is the cause of God.  

V.  Resolved, That these resolutions be published in the papers of Ontario County, and that a copy of the same be sent to the family of the deceased.  Signed, Sergeants  Norman R. MARTIN, N. C. PARSHALL, Hyland C. KIRK, E. O. GAUES, Wm. H. CHAMBERLAIN, F. B. LITTLEFIELD



WILSON, Henry W.Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY      Wednesday July 15, 1863

On the battlefield of Gettysburg, Friday, July 3, 1863, in the 35th years of his age, Henry W. WILSON of Co. D., in the 126th Reg. NYSV.  The tidings of his death among other like messages and rumors from the scene of the late fearful strife, awakened tender memories in many hearts in this community where he was born and reared, and where he was beloved not only by his numerous relatives, but by many associates and friends.  He had his temptation, errors and struggles, which are best appreciated by that Lord to whom he has often addressed himself in sincerity and with tears, but he is remembered for his rare personal qualities that made him many friends and kept them to the last.  His bright perceptions, lively fancy and inexhaustible humor and still more his warm and generous affections, ever at the service of the sick, the needy or the dependent, endeared him to all who know him.

When he enlisted last autumn, at the time his regiment was formed, it was with something like a presentiment of the issue.  In the action at Harper's Ferry, he exposed himself fearlessly to danger, and now has fallen in a victorious conflict, doing his duty gallantly and winning the honors of those who died for their country.  "Honor to the brave; tears for the fallen."


Created by Dianne Thomas  

These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced
in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.

Copyright  2005 - 2016

[NY History and Genealogy]