Tioga County, taken from Montgomery in 1794; bounds since much altered: still further reduced in 1836, bh the erection of Chemung County from its western portion. Greatest length E. and W. 31, greatest breadth N. and S. 29 miles. This, with Chemung county, is part of the broad and long belt extending westerly from Ulster and Greene counties to the vicinity of Lake Erie, preserving for a great part of the distance a mean height of about 1,600 feet above the level of the ocean. The soil of the county consists generally of sandy and gravelly loam, interspersed with patches of mud and clay. The uplands are commonly better adapted to grass than grain; but the valley gives fine crops of wheat and corn; oats, barley, peas, beans, and hops thrive almost everywhere. The Susquehannah is the principal stream in the county. The New York and Erie railroad crosses the county E. and W.; and the railroad from Owego to Ithaca N. and S. The county is divided into 9 towns.
(Historical Collections of the State of New York, Past and Present, John Barber, Clark Albien & Co. 1851)